Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost to repoint ridge tiles (Cork)

Options
  • 17-05-2021 8:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Any reference for costs to re-point ridge tiles on a typical 2-storey detached house in Cork.
    House is about 20 years old, I've noticed some of the mortar has come loose so there are gaps, no missing/broken tiles and no leaks that I am aware of.

Was expecting quotes in the region of €300-€500 but first one in today is €900-€1000 :eek: Is that typical price for what I would consider is a relatively standard job (for a roofer :D) Will get some more quotes but want to see if my expectation is way off!

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭costacorta

DriveSkill wrote: »
    Hi,
    Any reference for costs to re-point ridge tiles on a typical 2-storey detached house in Cork.
    House is about 20 years old, I've noticed some of the mortar has come loose so there are gaps, no missing/broken tiles and no leaks that I am aware of.

Was expecting quotes in the region of €300-€500 but first one in today is €900-€1000 :eek: Is that typical price for what I would consider is a relatively standard job (for a roofer :D) Will get some more quotes but want to see if my expectation is way off!

Thanks!

Be very careful where you getting your quote from in Cork as a lot of roof companies set up look legit but along come our friends from Kerry in Hiace and ladders and you be paying a few extra k .

I suppose a lot of cost could be if they need to erect scaffolding with all the H&S nowadays that will cost more than doing the job itself ..

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭DriveSkill

Yes, I know - hard to know who to trust :-)

In fairness I think the quote I got was from a reputable business - just seemed like they were building in other stuff which I didnt really ask for - e.g. included in the prices is replace any broken tiles, clean out the gutters etc. My point is there are no broken tiles so dont charge me for something that is not needed, I'd prefer a quote of €X for the repointing plus extra €Y if we need to replace tiles, + €Z if you want the gutters cleaned rather than just lumping €X+Y+Z and we will include replacing tiles as standard even if none are needed!
    If anyone has any recommendations I'll happily take them.
    I dont think there is any scaffolding needed in this case.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

Yes, I know - hard to know who to trust :-)

In fairness I think the quote I got was from a reputable business - just seemed like they were building in other stuff which I didnt really ask for - e.g. included in the prices is replace any broken tiles, clean out the gutters etc. My point is there are no broken tiles so dont charge me for something that is not needed, I'd prefer a quote of €X for the repointing plus extra €Y if we need to replace tiles, + €Z if you want the gutters cleaned rather than just lumping €X+Y+Z and we will include replacing tiles as standard even if none are needed!
    If anyone has any recommendations I'll happily take them.
    I dont think there is any scaffolding needed in this case.

that system seems a lot fairer.
    but there will be a few broken tiles . either ones you cant see on ones broken doing the job.

how will they get up there is there is no scaffold being put up

that system seems a lot fairer.
    but there will be a few broken tiles . either ones you cant see on ones broken doing the job.

how will they get up there is there is no scaffold being put up

Not being smart but surely a ladder is sufficient for most 2 storey houses ? I am not actually sure whether the quote included scaffolding as it wasnt mentioned but I assumed it would be just ladders. I accept if the job required a lot of equipment or materials to be brought to the roof scaffolding would be easier but for a repointing job I assumed just a ladder!

that will come down to health and safety and insurance etc. there is a diference between what can be done and what should be done.
    i have put up scaffolding for smaller jobs than that. (change a light bulb was one)

• Advertisement

BTW I havent managed to get any other quotes yet, one guy who had done some some small work for me before is no longer doing it and no responses from a few enquiries I put out so I could be back to the first one yet! Maybe their quote is reasonable....I was just a bit surprised :)

that will come down to health and safety and insurance etc. there is a diference between what can be done and what should be done.
    i have put up scaffolding for smaller jobs than that. (change a light bulb was one)

So what do you think of the 900-1000€ quote ? Is it in the ballpark that you would expect ?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,410 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I got this done recently for 1,000 alright (tho had so e other bits done at same time).

They used a product called Flexipoint. I would consider asking whoever you use to use this stuff rather than traditional cement/mortar.

So what do you think of the 900-1000€ quote ? Is it in the ballpark that you would expect ?[/QUOTE

seems high. your first estimate seems closer to it. hard to tell without seeing the access and condition of the roof etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,410 ✭✭✭✭noodler

noodler wrote: »
    I got this done recently for 1,000 alright (tho had so e other bits done at same time).

They used a product called Flexipoint. I would consider asking whoever you use to use this stuff rather than traditional cement/mortar.

In Dublin tbf

• Advertisement
Advertisement