Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Family home has silverfish

Options
  • 18-05-2021 1:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭

We keep it spotlessly clean but today I noticed a silverfish under a drawer in the bathroom. I killed it, and pulled the drawer out expecting an infestation but thankfully nothing nightmarish was underneath.

The house is very old (mid 1900s and has carpets in most rooms.)

I've heard silverfish spread like wildfire. In a year we haven't seen any and this was just the one so it could be a new development. There is a chance some came home from the office with me recently as I move files from place to place and my home office is upstairs across from the bathroom where I found the one I saw.

My skin is crawling now, carpets in a house is gross but this is next level shyte, I presume they're happy to live wherever it's dark.

So two choices: move house or burn the place down and move house?

Any option C?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭beachhead

Sounds like serious overreaction.But kill kill.Kill Bill

• Registered Users Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

Ignore the hype. I find a couple around the house every year, never more than the fingers on my hand. Most houses have a small number of them. Infestations are uncommon.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cefh17

Diatomaceous earth ... even has the letter C in it :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭wench

Nuke it from orbit, it's the only way to be sure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭shtpEdthePlum

Ignore the hype. I find a couple around the house every year, never more than the fingers on my hand. Most houses have a small number of them. Infestations are uncommon.
    Really? Are you sure it's not just that they live in the walls and places we can't see them?

Do any of the "scents" that deter them work, cinnamon or cedar etc?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I spotted a few around our house recently. You can get a water based spray that will kill them almost instantly, cleaning up the dead ones is a bit gross, but it did the job. I was surprised how many appeared after I sprayed, they seem to hide themselves very well. Spray around door frames and along floorboards/carpets and come back in 30 mins and clean up. You would need to spray again in around 4 weeks to kill the ones that have hatched in the mean time.

Really? Are you sure it's not just that they live in the walls and places we can't see them?

Do any of the "scents" that deter them work, cinnamon or cedar etc?

The bathroom or kitchen is almost certainly where they will be found, but usually in small numbers hidden in cracks and crevices. When remodeling the kitchen, I found 2 as I removed the tiles and both were low down near the sink area. I don't know about the scents, but I wouldn't go peppering my house with cinnamon after a single sighting.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

They love the dark and dampness.....

We have them going across the 2 bathrooms upstairs, never seen them before we bought this house, there is definitely a few and most you will never see....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭mugsymugsy

It's strange never seen them before this year. Thought we had got rid here and spotted one last night. As others have said damp and dark they like.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Yeah they can be a pain,
    I found this idea on Y tube effective
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQDy-5IQvuU

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Lived in an apartment in Dublin. The block was infested. Used ant killer powder around the bottom of walls, and sealed up ant little holes I could find in grout, around pipes etc. It reduced the number greatly. Moved into an 80’s house a few months ago. We have seen maybe 10-12 in total here. Initially we thought we brought them with us when we moved, but these look a bit different and are much lighter in colour. If you have an infestation you’ll know. If it’s just an odd one then you are lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Zaney

We had a few in a bathroom - never a swarm, but enough to be uncomfortable. The floor tiles were cracked and the grout was flaky. We replaced the floor tiles and haven’t seen them since. Wasn’t any sign of major infestation when we lifted the old tiles.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

Yeah they can be a pain,
    I found this idea on Y tube effective
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQDy-5IQvuU

I had to watch the whole scene... man it looks class still

• Registered Users Posts: 10,115 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Zaney wrote: »
    We had a few in a bathroom - never a swarm, but enough to be uncomfortable. The floor tiles were cracked and the grout was flaky. We replaced the floor tiles and haven’t seen them since. Wasn’t any sign of major infestation when we lifted the old tiles.

This happened to us in the main bathroom. Next to none since tiles were replaced, less than a handful per year.

The scariest was one day a few years ago I poured a glass of something and put it on the kitchen table and turned around to get lunch. Sat down at the table and there was a large silverfish in the glass. Hadn't spotted one in the glass (have never seen any in that press) or in the kitchen so it really freaked me out. I did have the windows open beside the table but I've never seen them outdoors. Never repeated thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

All houses have them.
    You only ever see the odd one at night when you turn on the light and look down.
    I find a dehumidifier seems to keep the numbers down.
    Probably see one a month now instead of one a week.

As for those false widow spiders though. They seem to be everywhere this year :)

ps:
    I have a friend whos wife insisted on getting rentokill out after spotting a silver fish one night.
    Cost them €120 and all they did was spray some chemical under the skirting boards he said and said to get them back in 3 months for another dose (probably another €120).

I told him of some great advise i got years ago from a guy who worked for rentokil.
    He said "If you have pests, its cheaper to burn your house down to get rid of them than to call rentokill".

JimmyVik wrote: »

As for those false widow spiders though. They seem to be everywhere this year :)

I know, right? I've killed loads of the little b@stards. They have taken over my shed/filter-house and I occasionally catch a big one in the back garden. Wouldn't want the kids getting a nip from one of them.

Stay Free

I know, right? I've killed loads of the little b@stards. They have taken over my shed/filter-house and I occasionally catch a big one in the back garden. Wouldn't want the kids getting a nip from one of them.

We had them in the shed and garden last year.
    Found 3 in the house in the last week now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

jester77 wrote: »
    I spotted a few around our house recently. You can get a water based spray that will kill them almost instantly, cleaning up the dead ones is a bit gross, but it did the job. I was surprised how many appeared after I sprayed, they seem to hide themselves very well. Spray around door frames and along floorboards/carpets and come back in 30 mins and clean up. You would need to spray again in around 4 weeks to kill the ones that have hatched in the mean time.

What’s the name of the spray? Where could I buy it?

We have loads. See them most in bedroom. The spiders don’t bother me. Silverfish make my skin crawl. I know they are harmless.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

What’s the name of the spray? Where could I buy it?

We have loads. See them most in bedroom. The spiders don’t bother me. Silverfish make my skin crawl. I know they are harmless.

I use this one from a brand called Envira, don't know if you can get it in Ireland, but there should be similar products available that would work the same.
    https://www.amazon.de/-/en/Silberfisch-vermin-Effect-Spray-500-ml/dp/B009W1QXFE/

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭SupaCat95

Go to the chemist get Borax and mix it with powdered sugar in low concentrations. Completely harmless to humans but lethal over time to insects.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭houseyhouse

SupaCat95 wrote: »
    Go to the chemist get Borax and mix it with powdered sugar in low concentrations. Completely harmless to humans but lethal over time to insects.
    :eek::eek:

Do not use Borax if you have young kids!!! Especially mixed with sugar. If it tastes good, they'll keep eating it. It's toxic. Even 5g can be fatal to a small child.

Jesus

Salt is supposed to attract and kill them through dehydration. Fill a small container and leave it in a corner of the bathroom?

JimmyVik wrote: »
    Jesus

http://npic.orst.edu/factsheets/boricgen.html#:~:text=Boric%20acid%20is%20low%20in,%2C%20stomach%20aches%2C%20and%20diarrhea.

"Boric acid can absorb rapidly into the body if eaten. It is absorbed poorly by skin contact unless the skin is damaged. Studies with workers and rats showed that boric acid can also be absorbed if inhaled. However, it is not clear how much is directly absorbed in the lungs and how much is cleared from the lungs and swallowed. Once inside, boric acid generally moves evenly throughout the body. However, it can be stored in bone and is generally found at lower levels in fatty tissues. There is no evidence that boric acid is broken down in the body. The majority of boric acid in the body is eliminated in the urine within four days."

Also read "in low concentrations"

:eek::eek:

Do not use Borax if you have young kids!!! Especially mixed with sugar. If it tastes good, they'll keep eating it. It's toxic. Even 5g can be fatal to a small child.

Its not that toxic.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭Mike3549

Our whole estate is full of them, ant killer powder works, but this is best (see attached). I moved a fridge one day and it looked like a carpet of dead silverfish. Actualy i dont remember the last time i saw one alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,560 ✭✭✭tscul32

I had them every now and then in my bedroom as a teen. I just sprayed them with hair spray and that killed them.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

They're pretty harmless they're just awful looking things.

In the apartment I'm in now, here four years I see them often. I just kill them. Only ever really see them in the bathroom or kitchen (once found a dead one in a oven dish in the press that was very rarely used, bothered me for a while but I never see them in the press or have never found other dead ones in cups or anything).
    Sometimes see them in the hallway between bedroom and bathroom or hotpress and a couple of times when putting clean bedclothes on I'd shake out the clean ones and a silverfish would scutter out. They give you the shivers a bit but they're no harm really. Can see numerous ones in one evening/night and then not see any for days.

I'd guess this apartment block I'm in has loads of them as I'd never actually seen one in my life before I moved here!

Fast little buggers though if you are trying to get rid of them humanely :D

Hoover does a good job on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭houseyhouse

Its not that toxic.

https://www.healthline.com/health/is-borax-safe#safety

It is quite toxic when ingested. Small children have a habit of eating everything they come across. Hence my comment, don’t use if you have young children.

• Advertisement

https://www.healthline.com/health/is-borax-safe#safety

It is quite toxic when ingested. Small children have a habit of eating everything they come across. Hence my comment, don’t use if you have young children.

Then just use it in small doses of 1g in 50g of powdered sugar. Hence my comment in small doses. No one suggest feeding it to the children.

Advertisement