Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Family home has silverfish

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭xalot

We had an infestation of them last year, this stuff did the trick, put it EVERYWHERE https://www.woodies.ie/nippon-woodlice-killer-150g-792129 . We'd get up to in the morning and find up 30 dead across the floor after using it. Havent had an issue since.

They're so fast so they can be hard to catch, I even found them in my suitcase when I went away for a weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

carpets in a house is gross

What?

Re the Silverfish, we have a few in our apartment bathroom. You see one or two scatter when you put the light on at night. Nothing major. They freaked me out at first, but I'm used to them now.
    Just don't look any magnified pictures of them. Bluech :pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

xalot wrote: »
    We had an infestation of them last year, this stuff did the trick, put it EVERYWHERE https://www.woodies.ie/nippon-woodlice-killer-150g-792129 . We'd get up to in the morning and find up 30 dead across the floor after using it. Havent had an issue since.

They're so fast so they can be hard to catch, I even found them in my suitcase when I went away for a weekend.

What do you do with that spray it on the floor and kills them if they pass through it?

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭LittleMissRed

Salt is supposed to attract and kill them through dehydration. Fill a small container and leave it in a corner of the bathroom?

I hate the little b@$tards and they are everywhere in our house at the moment!
    The other day I was baking and opened the little lid on the salt container to pour it into a measuring spoon. As I poured, one came tumbling out... I gagged and just flung the whole thing into the bin. I wish salt killed them. My house would look like a winter wonderland if it did!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

What do you do with that spray it on the floor and kills them if they pass through it?

I use a similar spray, it lasts a few months. Although it seems to weaken a bit over time, I've noticed that they are still alive and moving around a small bit as the spray wears off. Still good enough for catching them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭cupcake queen

xalot wrote: »

I used this too. Really effective. It's a powder that you put down on the floor around the bath or wherever they are appearing from. Leave it overnight and in the morning hoover it up (along with any dead bodies). We had them when we moved into our current house and I couldn't bear them. Would see one or two every night when I turned on the light in the bathroom and they really creeped me out. They were emerging from under the bath and I had a terrible fear that there were loads of them under there. Anyway, I sprinkled this stuff along the side of the bath and floor tiles and never saw a single one ever again...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭shtpEdthePlum

That stuff sounds fantastic, I've ordered it. I also firmly believe they're under the bath in massive quantities.

They're probably not, but the mind just immediately jumps to the worst case scenario.
    What?
    Carpets which have been in a house for thirty some years (more?) and gathered who knows how many people's dead skin cells and microscopic hairs and faecal particles from outside and are, as a rule, gross.

We shampooed all the carpets when we arrived and we hoover literally twice a day some days and never wear outdoor shoes in the house, but who knows what lurks underneath or inside in them.

We're going to do a job in the summer taking them up and restoring the timber floors. You can always put a nice disposable rug on lovely washable wood.

About 12 + years ago in our family home my dad gave up lighting fires as central heating had been installed, so he blocked up the fireplaces, by placing a sheet of timber in front of them.

Our sitting room always had a load of silverfish in it. You'd come in at night, when it's dark, and turn the light on, and they'd be scattering all over the place. When I say a load, I mean you'd see maybe a dozen at a time. I was never bothered by them and got well used to them over the years.

Anyway, about 2 years ago I decided to spend a few euro and renovate the sitting room, take everything out and start from scratch. New plaster, new floors, yada yada.. when I unblocked the sitting room fireplace, I found out that my dad, in his sheer laziness, never actually cleaned the fireplace out before blocking it. I must have carried the equivalent of 4 small black bags of ash out of it. But that's where the silverfish were living. Big pile of ash, which presumably had some level of dampness or humidity to it. Once I'd cleaned it out, and had the whole room cleared, floor lifted etc. I wandered in the first night to see was there much silverfish activity with the ash gone.

There was a handful of them roaming around (wondering where their ash house had gone, no doubt). For about 3-4 days, whilst waiting for my laminate floor to acclimate, i walked around the sitting room twice a day (morning and night) spraying some cheapo tesco disinfectant spray, mixed with bleach, all over the place. After the 4 days there was no sign of them anymore.

Laid the new floor, re-plastered the ceiling/walls, fitted new units etc. and no sign of a little fishy ever since.

For what it's worth, we had laminate flooring in our sitting room, and fabric suite of furniture. Despite the decade of silverfish, they never actually did any harm to anything. People say they eat fabric and that, but i never noticed anything (unless they were eating the ash, perhaps).

About a year prior to the sitting room renovation we extended the house and put a small bathroom in on the ground floor (only ever had one upstairs before this). I find we get a couple of, what I can only describe as 'carpet beetle larvae' in here, on the ceiling. I've seen maybe 1 silverfish a year, on average in the bathroom. Much like the fish, the carpet beetle larvae aren't very sexy too look at, but ultimately they don't really do any harm, so I tend to take the "live and let live" approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

That stuff sounds fantastic, I've ordered it. I also firmly believe they're under the bath in massive quantities.

We had some in the bathroom and used this. Get a paintbrush and brush it into every crack in floor tiles, skirting boards and under the bath etc. You can leave it in place then. We did this and it got rid of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 sf_killer

Had to register just to give some advice here that hopefully saves people from burning down their own house. We had a massive infestation, tried everything you could get in Ireland and nothing worked long term. Diatomaceous earth kept them at bay for a while. Luckily, I came across this from the Norwegian Institute of Health,
    fhi.no/en/el/insects-and-pests/insects/eksempler-pa-atebekjempelse-av-skjeggkre-i-ulike-lokaler/
    They even published a paper on it,
    mdpi.com/2075-4450/11/3/170
    And a video!
    youtube.com/watch?v=Gb3yQdEsIhI

They were using Advion with Indoxacarb. The only place I could find it was US Amazon. Was well worth the extra you have to pay in customs instead of buying 15 different products.
    amazon.com/gp/product/B00TXFE4RI/

Takes a while to have effect but haven't had any for a few months now. Can't believe they don't sell this stuff in Europe! can't post links so had to edit.

• Advertisement
Advertisement