Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hi all, I'm not sure this is the right place to ask but I've a roofing qestion

• 18-05-2021 7:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 15

I've a 70s bungalow that need to be re-roofed.
    It's currently tiled and the tiles ar getting very weak.
    I'm leaning toward using plasti-coated tile effect metal sheets in place of the tiles.

Has anyone any input from experience as to why this may be a bad idea?
    Any advise is greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,024 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

thepeck wrote: »
    I've a 70s bungalow that need to be re-roofed.
    It's currently tiled and the tiles ar getting very weak.
    I'm leaning toward using plasti-coated tile effect metal sheets in place of the tiles.

Has anyone any input from experience as to why this may be a bad idea?
    Any advise is greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance

Hi, my own cottage a little older (200 years), I made a silly error by extending and not considering correct pitch, after 10 years and because of wind exposure slates have started to move. It's a substantial lean back/ sloping roof at rear of cottage approx 40ft X 30ft Approx.

The best cost effective solution I've come up with after much consideration is replacing this section with Steel Cladding that is NON Drip. The plan is to leave front of cottage as is as no issues with pitch there, essentially marrying the two sections.

My timbers are fine so I'm lucky however some new timbers running at a different angle to facilitate cladding will be needed. The cost to include fitting will be around 6K which is by far alot less expensive than slating. Again I emphasise I've little option but steel cladding due to pitch error.

I'm hoping to recoup some expense by selling the blue Bangor slates that will be removed and saved, thankfully my insulation can be salvaged.

Steel cladding not a solution for everyone and finish needs to be considered, I'm choosing slate effect. Some might have planning considerations also but I don't think that an issue for house built in 70"s.

So to surmise.
    My decision based on need and cottage in exposed area (mountains).

Consider Color and appearance, I'm using slate effect and black, if I was replacing entire roof, I'd probably go some made color, that's just me :)

Is your roofing frame in good condition, either way you'll need new layout to facilitate cladding.

USE NON DRIP ONLY, this type as light insulation coat to minimise condensation.

To put in context. My new roof about 10 years ago was €17,000, replacement with cladding €6K, of which is mainly labour, removing existing slates, keep in mind all in excellent condition and hoping to sell on. I'm also supplying everything, I should mention I'm using local trusted tradespeople. I've also made sure Trades people fully insured.

Choose appropriate time to do this, as it could take up to two weeks depending on the size of your property, good luck.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 thepeck

Thanks for the reply.
    The structure is fine but it'll need to be latted and felted. Would a non drip finish be essential when it'll be felted.
    Planning won't be an issue as it'll be indistinguishable once completed.

thepeck wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply.
    The structure is fine but it'll need to be latted and felted. Would a non drip finish be essential when it'll be felted.
    Planning won't be an issue as it'll be indistinguishable once completed.

I would strongly recommend non drip, whilst a little more expensive, worth it, Felt is all well and good but it does deteriorate, also you do not want condensation build up or sitting on felt as it will eventually seep through and your timbers will either rot or get dry rot. Others may disagree but it's a big undertaking and I'd spend the extra for peace of mind.

Just one thing I didn't mention, ventilation, I'm fortunate to have block work I can put vents into and the space under roof iis cladded inside in open plan room and part storage attic space.

Not sure what your layout is but might be good to ask about ventilation if you've attic space under roof.

Good luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,118 ✭✭✭✭listermint

You have to look at your planning permission to changed your roof from tiles to some synthetic replacement like that

listermint wrote: »
    You have to look at your planning permission to changed your roof from tiles to some synthetic replacement like that

Not sure planning permission would come into it albeit OP advised on that, the house was built in the 70"s. Planning may be an issue if Height was being changed. I would say however if slates replaced with Cladding, this would need updating on structural elements of house insurance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,118 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Not sure planning permission would come into it albeit OP advised on that, the house was built in the 70"s. Planning may be an issue if Height was being changed. I would say however if slates replaced with Cladding, this would need updating on structural elements of house insurance.

Mine was built in the 70s and the roofing is explicitly written in the planning application.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Fine Cheers

OP, what is the roof pitch ?
    I'd imagine if you change from concrete tile to metal tile effect cladding it is a material change in the eyes of the planners but who is going to object or come after you ? Worst case would be a retention application but I'd be very surprised.
    What colour is existing and proposed ?
    If you can, check out some similar completed projects to see how the roof weathered over time.
    I'm sure the spec and quality varies so don't always go for the cheapest. Check warranties, colour guarantees etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭plonker

I'm thinking the same way...who is a good supplier of non drip tile effect cladding

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭whizbang

I would be suspicious of the root cause of the issue here...

70's is not very old re house and roofing. There should not be issues with any tiles supplied and fitted then. Look further.

Non drip cladding is also not required. You should not have any moisture in your attic to condense. Non drip is intended for uninsulated sheds.

OP, what is the roof pitch ?
    I'd imagine if you change from concrete tile to metal tile effect cladding it is a material change in the eyes of the planners but who is going to object or come after you ? Worst case would be a retention application but I'd be very surprised.
    What colour is existing and proposed ?
    If you can, check out some similar completed projects to see how the roof weathered over time.
    I'm sure the spec and quality varies so don't always go for the cheapest. Check warranties, colour guarantees etc.

Good advise on warranty's, cheers

• Advertisement

whizbang wrote: »
    I would be suspicious of the root cause of the issue here...

70's is not very old re house and roofing. There should not be issues with any tiles supplied and fitted then. Look further.

Non drip cladding is also not required. You should not have any moisture in your attic to condense. Non drip is intended for uninsulated sheds.

I'm not really interested wasting time getting to the root cause, almost 50 year old tiles are getting brittle, in not going to be able to call in a guarantee.

Brothers house has an extension (urban, 2 storey house with single storey flat roof extension). The roof was changed last year. It was one of the plastic, tile effect roofs being mentioned here. It lasted, I believe, 30 years before it leaked and needed to be changed (when he changed, he went with torch-on felt).

His extension is (guesswork here) an 8m x 4m rectangle. Cost of changing it was 6k, I believe, which was all-in (remove old plastic roof, skips, any new timbers that were needed, new felt roof, labour, etc, etc).

Advertisement