Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for a good primary school near Mount Oval

Options
  • 18-05-2021 7:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭

Hi all. I have just bought a house near Mount Oval in Rochestown, Co. Cork. I am returning from Australia with my wife and a three year old boy. I am wondering what my options are for a primary school for the wee lad? Would you recommend any primary school in particular? I know I have to put his name down in a few places probably for September 2022 and I’m getting a bit anxious.
    Thanks in advance,
    Lar

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭wonka

hi - our kids go to Scoil Padraig Naofa (located in Foxwood estate next to mt oval), and have no issues with it. It is a Catholic school so has the usual associated ethos. Some comments have been that it is "too strict - no fun etc" - but personally have no problems to date. The Educate together school is temporarily located in Garyduff sports centre, and is due at some point to move to a perm location in Douglas (i think!). Haven't heard directly from anybody with kids there. Best to put your name down in both anyway.
    your other choices are down in douglas primary school but i don't think it would offer you anything that the 2 above would.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Himnydownunder

wonka wrote: »
    hi - our kids go to Scoil Padraig Naofa (located in Foxwood estate next to mt oval), and have no issues with it. It is a Catholic school so has the usual associated ethos. Some comments have been that it is "too strict - no fun etc" - but personally have no problems to date. The Educate together school is temporarily located in Garyduff sports centre, and is due at some point to move to a perm location in Douglas (i think!). Haven't heard directly from anybody with kids there. Best to put your name down in both anyway.
    your other choices are down in douglas primary school but i don't think it would offer you anything that the 2 above would.

That’s great, do you mind me asking how old your children are? Also in what ways is Scoil Phádraig Naofa too strict? It being no fun sounds even more worrying, when I think of my smallie. That would be the one closer to my house I think. Will definitely put his name down in both. Thanks for your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭-Toppy-

St Columbas isnt a million miles away from Mount Oval and the school was only recently redone about 3 years ago so might be another possibility
    -Toppy-

-Toppy- wrote: »
    St Columbas isnt a million miles away from Mount Oval and the school was only recently redone about 3 years ago so might be another possibility
    -Toppy-

Oh that sounds good. Thanks Toppy.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Iguarantee

Hi all. I have just bought a house near Mount Oval in Rochestown, Co. Cork. I am returning from Australia with my wife and a three year old boy. I am wondering what my options are for a primary school for the wee lad? Would you recommend any primary school in particular? I know I have to put his name down in a few places probably for September 2022 and I’m getting a bit anxious.
    Thanks in advance,
    Lar

Educate Together Rochestown is based at Garryduff sports facility and is about as close to Mount Oval as it get.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

My kids just finished in Scoil Phadraig Naofa last year and were very happy with it. Fine new facilities. It is about ten years old only so very modern. Dunno about fun factor. Can't see what would make a school more fun other than the individual teachers. The principal did change last year so no idea what the new one is like.

Educate together very close to mount oval also. Don't know anything about it to be honest.

Personal opinion but unless there is a very good reason, I would consider it madness to go to any other school than one of those two. As the kids get a bit older they will be able to walk to and from school themselves and all the local kids will be in those schools. Going into Douglas every day for 8 years when there are two fine schools on your doorstep is just nuts. IMHO of course :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Deer

The educate together will be going to Carrs hill in the next few years. It will be next to the nursing home. A tender has been awarded for the building so who knows it may be quicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Dbu

Deer wrote: »
    The educate together will be going to Carrs hill in the next few years. It will be next to the nursing home. A tender has been awarded for the building so who knows it may be quicker.

Still cant believe they allowed that school and massive housing estate to go ahead on Carrs Hill. Traffic will be a nightmare IMO

Dbu wrote: »
    Still cant believe they allowed that school and massive housing estate to go ahead on Carrs Hill. Traffic will be a nightmare IMO

My parents were telling me about Carrs Hill in the mornings, that does seem insane to put the new school there.

Ludo wrote: »
    My kids just finished in Scoil Phadraig Naofa last year and were very happy with it. Fine new facilities. It is about ten years old only so very modern. Dunno about fun factor. Can't see what would make a school more fun other than the individual teachers. The principal did change last year so no idea what the new one is like.

Educate together very close to mount oval also. Don't know anything about it to be honest.

Personal opinion but unless there is a very good reason, I would consider it madness to go to any other school than one of those two. As the kids get a bit older they will be able to walk to and from school themselves and all the local kids will be in those schools. Going into Douglas every day for 8 years when there are two fine schools on your doorstep is just nuts. IMHO of course :-)

You make a good point about the convenience of those two schools. Obviously I’d like him to go to the best school possible in the area or close by. The Educate Together school moving to Carr’s Hill in a few years would be a worry, as others have mentioned the traffic will be ridiculous in and around there in the mornings.

• Advertisement

I seem to be caught between a rock and a hard place at the moment, with the two nearest primary schools. One being described as very strict/ no fun and the other school is going to be moving out of my area in a few years to a place that’s a nightmare for traffic. :-/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

I seem to be caught between a rock and a hard place at the moment, with the two nearest primary schools. One being described as very strict/ no fun and the other school is going to be moving out of my area in a few years to a place that’s a nightmare for traffic. :-/

Did you hear its strict/no fun from one individual or is it the general consensus?
    We're lucky enough to have a fantastic school within walking distance. 9/10 families have nothing bad to say about it.
    The only people who have issues are the parents of kids who seem to regularly act out. They don't like their kids being disciplined for being brats.
    That might not be the case for your school in particular but it's worth getting a good few opinions off as many people as you can.

.red. wrote: »
    Did you hear its strict/no fun from one individual or is it the general consensus?
    We're lucky enough to have a fantastic school within walking distance. 9/10 families have nothing bad to say about it.
    The only people who have issues are the parents of kids who seem to regularly act out. They don't like their kids being disciplined for being brats.
    That might not be the case for your school in particular but it's worth getting a good few opinions off as many people as you can.

One poster was saying that the school had that rep. and their reply was quite balanced overall. But obviously I will have to do more digging on Scoil Naomh Phadraig. It would be interesting to hear how the local schools did during the pandemic with online teaching, setting homework, etc.

As the Educate Together school will be moving, I think I’ll rule that one out at least. Will put his name down in Scoil Phadraig Naofa and one or two in Douglas (that are not on Carr’s Hill). If anybody else has had kids pass through schools in around Mount Oval/ Douglas, could they please share their experiences with me? I’d like to know how schools performed during the lockdowns also.

Advertisement