Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish Backpacker bailed after stabbing in Australia

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭White lighting

flask_fan wrote: »
    I wouldn't think so.

I would guess that 9 times out of 10 it's the Australian who is out to cause trouble.

Wouldnt agree. After a couple of years abroad I seen more fights at 2.40 in athlone my first night back than I seen in the combined years I was over there. We are so backward here the clowns think it's great idea stop nightclubs at 2.30 and peg everyone out on street looing for more and rowdy. Over there places open till all hours and when your completely ****ed you go home and no big congregation of people at one time outside

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

I wouldn't think so.

I would guess that 9 times out of 10 it's the Australian who is out to cause trouble.

Wow, "guessing" and "thinking" are irrefutable evidence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,108 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

I wouldn't think so.

Not a chance.

As someone mentioned earlier, we are way too easy on drunk and disorderly behaviour in this country.

The gardai do what they can but are also historically 'soft' when compared with other police forces. From my own experiences, the U.S., German and Aussie police don't take half the **** our own force do. Not a ****ing chance.

That's not a knock by the way, just my own take on it.

We are pigs with drink, and plenty of morons think their 'Irishness' is a right to act like a ****ing moron with drink. I've seen it - and been in the middle of it - with plenty of idiots all over the world. Absolute clowns.

While only a percentage it is still a big enough percentage of idiots out there who shouldn't be anywhere near alcohol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭crooked cockney villain

How did this girl's mother get into Australia during the last year? It's all but closed off to anybody getting in, even returning Aussies have to go on a waiting list and part with a fair few quid for quarantine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭joseywhales

There's a whole ecosystem of Irish abroad. Not all of them have produced negative pr but there is a minority and they are they same people you disliked in school who somehow managed to scrape into a foreign country.

A lot of country lads integrate well I find and anyone if they join local sports clubs and/or have professional or engineering jobs. We tend to have good confidence and a positive attitude which goes a long way because we are giving something new a shot.

But of course, there are the usual suspects who tag along sometimes. Their attitude is all about taking, consuming and what they can get out of people,q places and situations. They get frustrated when challenged, they try to hide their fear with bravado and aggression and they don't grow. And there are lots of lads who do adapt of course, they make huge money in trades and sometimes start their own businesses employing more immigrants and supporting local sports clubs. I suspect they arrive with an inner work ethic. People who come on a j1 or just a summer getting paid cash, it's understandable that they want to party primarily but it's good to leave a good impression, you might find it's a great option when you are older to go back to Canada, Australia, USA for a year or two. I also hear anecdotally, that Australia can get more of the demographic that can cause trouble than you might see in Canada or the US.

I'm still baffled how this guy got a visa to anywhere?

Also does this girl not have a problem with having her picture on social media with this guy's hand literally on her vagina?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

How did this girl's mother get into Australia during the last year? It's all but closed off to anybody getting in, even returning Aussies have to go on a waiting list and part with a fair few quid for quarantine.

I live here, there are exemptions for non-nationals if there’s a good reason and even though there are waiting lists it’s like a refilling cup most people are waiting a few weeks maybe a month or so. Only odd extreme cases in the media is usually down to affordability of flights and quarantine and those having a whinge make it sound like a closed shop it’s not really that closed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

I wouldn't think so.

You would guess wrong, looking at it most incidents in media are Irish fighting and stabbing amongst themselves, criminal damage and theft.

The odd time there’s some sort of altercation it’s more often with bouncers or police.

This is a good example.

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/keiren-noonan-home-andaway-arrest-16207489

I’m not saying there are no incidents where Aussies are not to blame you open your mouth to the wrong guy and you could find yourself in a lot of trouble same as anywhere.....but from my experience I have seen people get on like they were back home in Ballygobackwards and we all know how that pans out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    I'd say there's a good chance they left on their own accord tbh

I didn't think they had been transported!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,103 ✭✭✭joeguevara

So she wasn’t jailed. Didn’t stab anyone and isn’t a back packer. Is anything in the thread title true?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 flask_fan

Or perhaps the fact that there's more trouble per capita is caused by the Australians and of course they'd lie and blame the Irishman.

There's a whole ecosystem of Irish abroad. Not all of them have produced negative pr but there is a minority and they are they same people you disliked in school who somehow managed to scrape into a foreign country.

A lot of country lads integrate well I find and anyone if they join local sports clubs and/or have professional or engineering jobs. We tend to have good confidence and a positive attitude which goes a long way because we are giving something new a shot.

But of course, there are the usual suspects who tag along sometimes. Their attitude is all about taking, consuming and what they can get out of people,q places and situations. They get frustrated when challenged, they try to hide their fear with bravado and aggression and they don't grow. And there are lots of lads who do adapt of course, they make huge money in trades and sometimes start their own businesses employing more immigrants and supporting local sports clubs. I suspect they arrive with an inner work ethic. People who come on a j1 or just a summer getting paid cash, it's understandable that they want to party primarily but it's good to leave a good impression, you might find it's a great option when you are older to go back to Canada, Australia, USA for a year or two. I also hear anecdotally, that Australia can get more of the demographic that can cause trouble than you might see in Canada or the US.

I'm still baffled how this guy got a visa to anywhere?

Also does this girl not have a problem with having her picture on social media with this guy's hand literally on her vagina?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,536 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

joeguevara wrote: »
    So she wasn’t jailed. Didn’t stab anyone and isn’t a back packer. Is anything in the thread title true?

the thread title says "bailed" not "jailed". that part is true. It also doesn't say she did the stabbing. so that part is also true. she is also irish, so that part is true. so 3 out of 4 salient parts of the thread title are true.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

I think that Irish people get very harshly treated in Australia. Basically the Australians are always keen to blame foreigners for everything.

I lived over there about a decade ago and had 3 incidents in 5hw whole time. One was just a guy going on an anti Irish rant when I called him from a call centre job I had for my first couple of months there. The other two were bouncers not letting me into pubs because I was too drunk, despite being completely sober and not having had a drop of alcohol for several days before.

First one probably just hates getting cold calls, second 2 left a slightly bitter taste in my mouth but nothing major. I actually got the last laugh on one of them (Three Monkeys near Sydney central station) when I called my mates inside, who were about 80% female and made up around 30 of the 50ish there in that quiet enough Sunday night, and we all left while the manager tried to do the quickest ever 180 on my apparent 'drunk' status. :D

Australia can be incredibly racist against some foreigners, Lebanese of all groups perhaps most noticeably, though in my experience it rarely is against white people from Europe, north America, etc.

• I lived over there about a decade ago and had 3 incidents in 5hw whole time. One was just a guy going on an anti Irish rant when I called him from a call centre job I had for my first couple of months there. The other two were bouncers not letting me into pubs because I was too drunk, despite being completely sober and not having had a drop of alcohol for several days before.

First one probably just hates getting cold calls, second 2 left a slightly bitter taste in my mouth but nothing major. I actually got the last laugh on one of them (Three Monkeys near Sydney central station) when I called my mates inside, who were about 80% female and made up around 30 of the 50ish there in that quiet enough Sunday night, and we all left while the manager tried to do the quickest ever 180 on my apparent 'drunk' status. :D

Australia can be incredibly racist against some foreigners, Lebanese of all groups perhaps most noticeably, though in my experience it rarely is against white people from Europe, north America, etc.

Unless it was a native Australian (Aboriginal) firing racist abuse at me, I'd take what the rest of them say with a pinch of salt. They are all immigrants themselves whether they realise it or not.

Unless it was a native Australian (Aboriginal) firing racist abuse at me, I'd take what the rest of them say with a pinch of salt. They are all immigrants themselves whether they realise it or not.

No they aren't. Some serious scutter been posted on this thread.

the thread title says "bailed" not "jailed". that part is true. It also doesn't say she did the stabbing. so that part is also true. she is also irish, so that part is true. so 3 out of 4 salient parts of the thread title are true.

You are correct but I was wondering why this thread (and indeed the article) focused on someone who according to reports took no real part in the alleged crime and completely glossed over the accusation that an Irish guy and four others assaulted and stabbed a man. Is it more important to discuss Mother’s Day bail extension?

I do admit that I misread bailed as jailed. Damn phone screen!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭White lighting

joeguevara wrote: »
    You are correct but I was wondering why this thread (and indeed the article) focused on someone who according to reports took no real part in the alleged crime and completely glossed over the accusation that an Irish guy and four others assaulted and stabbed a man. Is it more important to discuss Mother’s Day bail extension?

I do admit that I misread bailed as jailed. Damn phone screen!

Was it not reported at the time that she rang the for the backup to come around when her boyfriend and the victim started to fight? I definitely read that at the time whether the cops have ruled that out since I an unaware.
    If as was reported originally is what happened she most definitely did have a part to play

Was it not reported at the time that she rang the for the backup to come around when her boyfriend and the victim started to fight? I definitely read that at the time whether the cops have ruled that out since I an unaware.
    If as was reported originally is what happened she most definitely did have a part to play

But it is clear that if her alleged crime was committed it was such a minor act as compared to the alleged act of her Irish boyfriend and the alleged acts of the other four people present. But the article only or at least to a large majority reported on her and her request for bail for Mother’s Day and completely glossed over or whitewashed the actual alleged stabbing by ofher people that caused a serious injury. Is it appropriate to focus on an attractive blonde Irish woman and her minor act as a juicy story and not report on the actual alleged crime that was committed. It’s not fair to focus on the ancillary facts of the case which could colour the judgment of its readers and not give the same analysis or treatment to the others.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 harrybdog

Well this person is now recruiting people into a youth organisation.

She is currently interviewing ( very badly) potential staff to work in a youth service.

She is an unpleasant, arrigont, rude ignorant person, with little or no qualifications or people skills.

Overall an unpleasant human being, that should have paid the price for her crimes, instead of being brought back to Ireland and given authority of following garda checks on people.

It was a pleasure to refuse the position when realising the kind of people they recruit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29 Guerilla Dub

I was following the Sidney stabbing case but theres not any info of a result. Please tell more about about this youth service etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭beachhead

harrybdog where are you with more info

• Advertisement
Advertisement