Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobile Broadband - best options?

Options
  • 18-05-2021 9:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭

I'm looking in to getting mobile broadband on a pay as you go basis for a holiday home.

I've looked into Vodafone and 3 so far but I'm just wondering if anyone has any experiences with these devices and which perform better? Vodafone is offering €20 for 20GB and 3 offers €30 for 30GB.

The area the house is in has good 4G coverage so I'm hoping it will be ok for working from home on and off during the summer if I want a change of scenery. I would have a few Zoom calls and would be downloading and uploading files during the week.

Does anyone have any other options outside of Vodafone and 3?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

dodgystuff wrote: »
    I'm looking in to getting mobile broadband on a pay as you go basis for a holiday home.

I've looked into Vodafone and 3 so far but I'm just wondering if anyone has any experiences with these devices and which perform better? Vodafone is offering €20 for 20GB and 3 offers €30 for 30GB.

The area the house is in has good 4G coverage so I'm hoping it will be ok for working from home on and off during the summer if I want a change of scenery. I would have a few Zoom calls and would be downloading and uploading files during the week.

It all depends on what the coverage is like in the area.

If Three has good coverage, pick up one of their prepaid phone sim cards and you'll have unlimited data for 28 days for €20.

There is also Eir.

In terms of MNVOs on each of the main networks

Vodafone - CLear Mobile and An Post Mobile

Three - 48, Lycamobile, Tesco Mobile (and Blueface)

Eir - GoMo

Currently 48 is doing 100GB data on their €10.99 per month mobile plan

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭dodgystuff

It all depends on what the coverage is like in the area.

If Three has good coverage, pick up one of their prepaid phone sim cards and you'll have unlimited data for 28 days for €20.

There is also Eir.

In terms of MNVOs on each of the main networks

Vodafone - CLear Mobile and An Post Mobile

Three - 48, Lycamobile, Tesco Mobile (and Blueface)

Eir - GoMo

Currently 48 is doing 100GB data on their €10.99 per month mobile plan

Sorry, I'm new to the whole mobile broadband thing so need a bit more clarification. Do you mean to get a mobile broadband device and then insert one of these pre-paid phone SIMs to get a better offer?

I would be using it for a laptop and a couple of phones.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,976 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

dodgystuff wrote: »
    Sorry, I'm new to the whole mobile broadband thing so need a bit more clarification. Do you mean to get a mobile broadband device and then insert one of these pre-paid phone SIMs to get a better offer?

I would be using it for a laptop and a couple of phones.

If your not sure what network offers best coverage it might be wise to purchase a sim free modem/router, this way you can test various sims, a Router is better than WiFi dingles, the Routers allow a lan connection (direct cable to Laptop, TV boxes etc), The Hauwei B525S is an example, search amazon etc. The routers also give you a better spread of WiFi as opposed to dingles which have limited WiFi spread.

Buying. Modem /Router direct from a network generally means they are locked to that network only and more expensive.

Choosing the correct package becomes the issue. Generally prepay broadband very expensive. You'll get all sorts of opinions on prepay offering unlimited data, this is not entirely correct, these are phone sim packages and not intended for modem use, its called tethering and whilst you might get away with it for small /occasional use, the network can and will cap excessive usage, 3 in particular clamping down on this.

It's entirely your decision but a broadband SIM only, 30 day contract plan might be the best solution costing €29 per month with 750gb allowance. I only recommend this once you've determined what network offers consistent speeds and as it says on the tin, order and cancel as you require. If this is too much hassle, try the prepay but be mindful of my points re phone sim package as opposed to broadband sim pre pay package , two very different things and if you have coverage issues using a phone package in a modem, you'll get Zero technical support.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,113 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Dempo1 wrote: »
    .... 3 in particular clamping down on this. ....
    Does it?
    Anyone have that experience ? Or is it just a congestion...that equally apply to 30d contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,830 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Vodafone X: 20e / 28 days / unlimited data but capped at 10Mbps

Three PAYG phone SIM: 20e / 28 days / unlimited data

48 PAYG: 10.99 pm / 100GB

Eir PAYG: 20e / 28 days / 120GB (excess throttled at about 5Mbps)

Consensus seems to be that Three's PAYG phone SIMs aren't discriminated against with regards to usage, speed or tethering. The potential issue is peak time congestion depending on location, back haul etc. The contractual speeds that three quote on their website treats broadband and phone SIMs the same, the only difference is for FIXED wireless broadband which is an installation carried out by three themselves.
    https://www.three.ie/legal/terms/mobile-and-fwa-network-speeds.html

Three had a "tethering not allowed" condition in their terms but didn't enforce it and that condition was removed last year.

You can either use a phone as a hotspot or buy a dedicated router.
    Huawei B311 is a basic CAT 4 router.

If you want to future proof then look for a CAT6 or CAT7 router that can achieve 200Mbps+ if signal is strong and carrier aggregation is enabled on the mast.

Midband forum has more information on similar set ups.
    https://m.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1147

In summary...
    - Get a PAYG phone SIM (whichever network has best signal)
    - Buy your own unlocked router with antenna ports
    - Optional - install external antenna if indoor signal isn't sufficient

• Advertisement

Does it?
    Anyone have that experience ? Or is it just a congestion...that equally apply to 30d contract.

Newer sims since late 2019, yes, legacy sims no ( don't ask I know, I won't tell you :) )

Newer sims since late 2019, yes, legacy sims no ( don't ask I know, I won't tell you :) )
    Not sure if Three would go for this "2019 SIM exclusive" action.
    Sound more like Three store rep line.

Not sure if Three would go for this "2019 SIM exclusive" action.
    Sound more like Three store rep line.

I predicted absurd reactions to factual advice, but of course OP doesn't have to listen, nothing to do with 3 stores it's to do with systems integrations with 02, but that might be a little beyond your grasp.

But, of course, everyone can look this up on either the website or indeed take some time to look at the T&C"s on sim back.

You may also not be aware 02 never allowed tethering, which in essence is what a customer is doing using a dongle, with a phone sim package to get WiFi.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,830 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

https://notifications.three.ie/EECC/prepay/1
    https://notifications.three.ie/EECC/billpay/1
    There is no change from the way that customers can use data with their plans. Any old term that did not allow tethering was not enforced.

I predicted absurd reactions to factual advice, but of course OP doesn't have to listen, nothing to do with 3 stores it's to do with systems integrations with 02, but that might be a little beyond your grasp.

But, of course, everyone can look this up on either the website or indeed take some time to look at the T&C"s on sim back.

You may also not be aware 02 never allowed tethering, which in essence is what a customer is doing using a dongle, with a phone sim package to get WiFi.
    Dont get offended, no intention.
    Not denying its mentioned in T&C's or Three ability to do such, have not seen implemented/applied. Have heard the line. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 Oz91

You can check the 5g options from Eir, they just announced on the website.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Craig_David

Would there be a big difference in speed between the regular EIR 'no limits data' vs the 'no limits 5G data' plans?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

Would there be a big difference in speed between the regular EIR 'no limits data' vs the 'no limits 5G data' plans?

Thanks

Yes in theory there should be I have seen speeds of 400Mbps+ download on 5G on my mobile with Three

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Alibaba

I'm looking at broadband options also. Has to be mobile as no fixed broadband in my area but mobile reception good.
    So could I from what I understand get a 48 sim and put in a router (I'm looking at ones in Harvey norman) and get unlimited broadband for €10.99 a month
    Would 48 have an issue with that though 🤫🤫

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Mikiek14

Alibaba wrote: »
    I'm looking at broadband options also. Has to be mobile as no fixed broadband in my area but mobile reception good.
    So could I from what I understand get a 48 sim and put in a router (I'm looking at ones in Harvey norman) and get unlimited broadband for €10.99 a month
    Would 48 have an issue with that though 🀫🀫

100gb limit may be issue

Mikiek14 wrote: »
    100gb limit may be issue
    100 gb would be ok for me.

100 gb would be ok for me.

I would say try clear mobile, they say that they have a speed limit of 5 Mbps but they usually don't put this limit unless there is a high traffic or congestion.

They do have no fair usage so you won't have any limit on usage too and it's 13 euro

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭jdon72

*not unlimited, only 100Gb. Should work though

I picked up an unlocked sim router and popped in a 3 sim card to test it out..
    Was getting between 5 & 10 mbps. Not great..

I also have a Gomo sim card but could not get it working in the router, so using my mobile I ran a speed test. Only getting like 2 /3 mbps.
    Presumably if I did manage to get it working in the sim router, I wouldnt see a drastic improvement on that.

Any other networks worth trying? based in Dublin city..
    48 isnt really an option as my typical usage is >100gb.

Oz91 wrote: »
    I would say try clear mobile, they say that they have a speed limit of 5 Mbps but they usually don't put this limit unless there is a high traffic or congestion.

They do have no fair usage so you won't have any limit on usage too and it's 13 euro

Thanks everybody for your input.
    I was thinking about Clear mobile alright but I don't see great reviews about them.
    Also I presume I could use their sim card in my vodafone modem and phone as they are both locked to vodafone and Clear is owned by vodafone.

• Advertisement

Thanks everybody for your input.
    I was thinking about Clear mobile alright but I don't see great reviews about them.
    Also I presume I could use their sim card in my vodafone modem and phone as they are both locked to vodafone and Clear is owned by vodafone.

I think it’s worth it to try as there is no contract, just 30 days plan. :)

Could you post some speed test results using Clear?
    Interested to see what speeds you are getting.

Oz91 wrote: »
    I think it’s worth it to try as there is no contract, just 30 days plan. :)

Yeah , I was thinking of giving them a go.
    Nothing to lose.

Will the Clear sim card work in the Vodafone broadband modem ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

Nothing to lose.

Should work fine, you might need to update the APN settings see last faq on this page: https://clearmobile.ie/help/getting-started.html

Not sure I’d be expecting anything more than the 5Mbps they’re advertising though which won’t be great if you’re attaching multiple devices.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

Looks like 750gb per billing cycle fair usage on eir for 5g mobile broadband.

https://www.eir.ie/opencms/export/sites/default/.content/pdf/terms/eir_mobile_broadband_terms.pdf

Could you post some speed test results using Clear?
    Interested to see what speeds you are getting.

I don’t have the sim with me as I gave it to my nephew but as soon as I see him, I will send the SS.

Nothing to lose.

As far as I know, Vodafone doesn’t lock their devices anymore. So you should be fine, I also have a Vodafone portable modem and previously I used virgin mobile in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,646 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Ive been using a 48 sim in my own router for about 6 months now with no problems. Like yourself Ive no fixed broadband available in my area but the mobile reception is okay. I get speeds of about 25mbs during daytime slowing to about 10mbs in the evenings.

Its not fantastic speeds or anything but its the best option from a bad lot. I was paying Vodafone 45 a month for their mobile broadband and that wasnt any better. At least now Im paying 7.99 a month to 48 for a similar service. In the 6 months so far Ive spent a total of 48 euro on internet rather than the 270 euro I would have spent had I continued with Vodafone. The router cost me 115 euro so that has paid for itself already.

Theres great advice over on the mid band forum about routers, the one I got is a TP Link Archer MR600 and works very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 chiral_fluid

5gbroadband.ie

30-days rolling contract. 300-1000 mbit/s.

• Advertisement

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Ive been using a 48 sim in my own router for about 6 months now with no problems. Like yourself Ive no fixed broadband available in my area but the mobile reception is okay. I get speeds of about 25mbs during daytime slowing to about 10mbs in the evenings.

Its not fantastic speeds or anything but its the best option from a bad lot. I was paying Vodafone 45 a month for their mobile broadband and that wasnt any better. At least now Im paying 7.99 a month to 48 for a similar service. In the 6 months so far Ive spent a total of 48 euro on internet rather than the 270 euro I would have spent had I continued with Vodafone. The router cost me 115 euro so that has paid for itself already.

Theres great advice over on the mid band forum about routers, the one I got is a TP Link Archer MR600 and works very well.

I'm thinking along the same lines.
    Paying vodafone €30 a month for 40 gb. Very restricted with that much gb.
    Think I'll do something similar. As I said in earlier post was thinking about getting router , that gives you a lot of choices.

Advertisement