Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motorbike driving license advise needed.

Options
  • 18-05-2021 9:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 18

My son is finishing 17 years soon and I’m considering to pay for his A1 driving license as birthday present. However, I’m not quite sure if it does make sense to do this now, if in next year, he is 18 so perhaps he should wait and do A2 later. Can somebody advise me if it does make sense to do A1 now and next year upgrade to A2 or he should wait?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

I just went through this, but my lad was 16 when he started, so it made more sense.

Just how far away is his 18th birthday - a year, a few months... ?

Logic says to wait til he's 18 and just start on an A2.

My young lad starts his A2 'career' this Saturday, but he's already got 2yrs under his belt, and 2 yrs NCB too, so that's a big help.

However, at 17 a year is A Long Time to the teenage mind :) so if you just want to get him mobile and he wants a bit of independence, I'd go for the Learner Permit on A1, do the IBT, and get on the road. As soon as he hits 18 you then have choices, and I'd just switch to the A2 Learner Permit. Yes, you end up spending more money, and you're starting all over again, but hey, there's worse ways to spend your money.

And that way he ends up getting trained twice inside a couple of years and that's a big Plus imho. You can never have enough training.

And of course, money will come into it. You won't want an A1 bike for a minute longer than you have to, so availability of one will come into it as well. Don't buy a pile of junk though: you want your kids to have good tyres, brakes, lights etc, and modern bikes are so much better that way.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 18 PiotrIr

Thank you for your reply.

So I understand the upgrade process from A1 to A2 is pretty much the same as doing only A2?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

PiotrIr wrote: »
    Thank you for your reply.

So I understand the upgrade process from A1 to A2 is pretty much the same as doing only A2?

Kinda.

the formal progression is like this:
    Theory Test
    IBT (training), then you're on the road on your A1 bike.
    A1 Learner Permit, once held for 6 months, apply for your test.
    A1 Test, once you have the full test for 2 YEARS, you can automatically go to A2 with just some additional training.

But - 2 years to be stuck on a 125 after your test is a bloody long time. And not safe imho.

So, Plan B at 17 could be:

Theory Test
    IBT (training) A1
    A1 Learner Permit, start riding on the road
    Then when you hit 18, re-apply for a new A2 Learner Permit - yes, more IBT again (more €€€) - but once you have it, you're in the A2 game.
    A2 - once held for 6 months, apply for your test.

Once you've got your A2 test passed, and held for 2 years, then you can go to full A with some additional training.

Or you can 'start again' for A as well, if you don't want to wait. I don't think that's necessary, lots of very good A2 bikes out there to satisfy anyone for a few years to get up their experience.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 18 PiotrIr

Thank you for this - now I'm clear!

• Registered Users Posts: 35,059 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

galwaytt wrote: »
    Once you've got your A2 test passed, and held for 2 years, then you can go to full A with some additional training.

Or you can 'start again' for A as well, if you don't want to wait. I don't think that's necessary, lots of very good A2 bikes out there to satisfy anyone for a few years to get up their experience.

Unless you're age 22 or older when passing the A2 test there's no point doing direct access, the 2 years on a full A2 followed by progressive access will be quicker.

Now OP is probably not clear again! :pac:

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

• Advertisement
Advertisement