Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Espresso at home recommendations

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭Newtown90

I'd recommend a Eureka Mignon Silenzio.

I got mine from black cat coffee last year but pretty sure I've seen them in 010 this year.

Very impressive grinder and really compliments my Rancilio Silvia.

I made the mistake of buying cheap kit when I started out - I'd recommend not making that mistake it works out more expensive in the long run.

Newtown90 wrote: »
    I'd recommend a Eureka Mignon Silenzio.

I got mine from black cat coffee last year but pretty sure I've seen them in 010 this year.

Very impressive grinder and really compliments my Rancilio Silvia.

I made the mistake of buying cheap kit when I started out - I'd recommend not making that mistake it works out more expensive in the long run.

This one? https://blackcatcoffee.co.uk/collections/espresso-grinders/products/copy-of-eureka-mignon-brew-pro-55mm-flat-burrs-1?variant=31520493797443

Is it just trial and error then with the machine to find the right level of coarseness and do you use a weighing scales under the espresso?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭Newtown90

This one? https://blackcatcoffee.co.uk/collections/espresso-grinders/products/copy-of-eureka-mignon-brew-pro-55mm-flat-burrs-1?variant=31520493797443

Is it just trial and error then with the machine to find the right level of coarseness and do you use a weighing scales under the espresso?

Yes like any grinder you have to dial it in.

And yes always a weighing scales.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

Augeo wrote: »
    Soooooo when ye mention a good grinder... How much better than this would ye recommend?

https://www.did.ie/krups-expert-burr-coffee-grinder-black-gvx231-gvx231-prd

Look, with grinders you'll get what you pay for really - that would be grand for most non-espresso methods I'd say, if not a bit inconsistent. It has 17 "notches".

My Encore has upwards of 40 I think, so you can see the adjustments smaller than something with 17 settings.

I don't have perfect kit. I have the Encore grinder and a Delonghi Micalite machine

I know I'm not getting the best espressos, but I bought the machine before I knew what I was really doing. The espresso I make is passable enough for me, but I prefer to use my Aero or Clever.

I don't know if I want to upgrade my machine because I don't really enjoy Americanos, even when I'm out, and I never drink milk based drinks at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,546 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I've had a De'Longhi KG79 for the last 3 years, and it's grand for my needs....

I'm sure if I tried one of those £300+ ones I'd notice the difference, but the De'Longhi at its finest setting grinds the coffee to a similar level as the coffee you buy already ground...

I did read about a DIY hack you could do to get it finer, but meh, I'm happy with it as is.

• Advertisement

Soooooo when ye mention a good grinder... How much better than this would ye recommend?

I've had a De'Longhi KG79 for the last 3 years, and it's grand for my needs....

I'm sure if I tried one of those £300+ ones I'd notice the difference, but the De'Longhi at its finest setting grinds the coffee to a similar level as the coffee you buy already ground...

I did read about a DIY hack you could do to get it finer, but meh, I'm happy with it as is.

Cheers, presumably at that price point they are all much of a muchness.

I find bagged ground coffee lovely so I'm sure the likes of one of those grinders will do me.

The problem with my delonghi is that it can't generate enough pressure for the finer grinds on the encore - now, the encore instructions say that 7-9 notches is the espresso grind, and that works on the machine too, and the flow rate is good, so it's all calibrated in my own system loop, but I 100% know I could get more from the good beans with a better set-up for espresso.

I was getting really delicious results with Red Brick and SweetShop all the same, and that's the best coffee I've had from the machine.

I have some Fairy Floss here unopened and I'll going to try that in the machine, I expect it may be similar to SweetShop

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

Small Moka pot with Lavazza Red espresso coffee. My daily go to.

The problem with my delonghi is that it can't generate enough pressure for the finer grinds on the encore...

|I'd have a similar machine so I don't think I'd benefit from a great grinder. I'm a bit of a tree hugger (not an extreme one admittedly) also so I won't replace my coffee machine until it sh1ts itself.

The Encore is a very decent grinder for the money imo, consistent and does what I need it to - it's comparable to the Wilfa Svart according to The Hoff.

I'd been using a cheap blade grinder before and there's a huge difference

• Advertisement

I've a chunky enough few quid on a Kildare village voucher.... I might see what that tefal, nespresso etc store has for grinders :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

Sage BE worth considering?

Its not a cheap piece of kit but realistically you get a good mid range grinder (perfectly good for espresso blends) and a quality machine that looks good to boot.

Mines been running a few years now, making from a couple (originally) to 4 expresso/cappucinos a day. Long since paid itself off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭mossie

Sage BE worth considering?

Its not a cheap piece of kit but realistically you get a good mid range grinder (perfectly good for espresso blends) and a quality machine that looks good to boot.

Mines been running a few years now, making from a couple (originally) to 4 expresso/cappucinos a day. Long since paid itself off.

I have one and find it's very good. Upgraded from a Nespresso machine and there's no comparison. Since using the Sage BE and Sage grinder I can really taste the quality in good coffee.

I've a chunky enough few quid on a Kildare village voucher.... I might see what that tefal, nespresso etc store has for grinders :)

This was the only grinder they had in "home & cook" in Kildare Village... €36.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

This was the only grinder they had in "home & cook" in Kildare Village... €36.

Might do but good hance it won't.

Cheap grinders are for press, moka, chemex grind.

Espresso needs not just fine but the ability to dial in.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,171 ✭✭✭limnam

parttime wrote: »
    I make good coffee with my Delonghi bean to cup. Better than some cafes that serve bewleys muck. Can't stand those stove top yokes though...tastes like burnt coffee

If it tasted burnt you were most likely using it wrong.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Yeah, always recommend pre heating the water on those stove top brewers, they are capable of making great coffee though and it looks fantastic as the coffee bubbles through from the lower chamber!

Might do but good hance it won't.

Cheap grinders are for press, moka, chemex grind.

Espresso needs not just fine but the ability to dial in.

At the finest setting my DELONGHI Icona Micalite pump deadheads.... Setting 4 of 17 gives a nice 25sec double espresso so for me it's a thumbs up for €36.

Advertisement