Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Holles street cycle

Options
  • 18-05-2021 10:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭

https://www.nmhfoundation.ie/events/cycle-challenge

I'm going to try to cycle 100klms in one go. Break at 50klms for 20 mins. I have a good bike and can piss through 50klm in one go so it should not be a problem.

Where would be a good route to start from tallaght to 50klm out and return. A good cycle route? (Blessington and back is one I've done.)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Does it have to be out and back, or can it be a loop? If you don't mind hills this works out at around 100km on Google Maps: Tallaght > Sally Gap > Roundwood > Laragh > Ballymore Eustace > Blessington > Tallaght

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭byrnem31

Does it have to be out and back, or can it be a loop? If you don't mind hills this works out at around 100km on Google Maps: Tallaght > Sally Gap > Roundwood > Laragh > Ballymore Eustace > Blessington > Tallaght

Thanks, 50k out and 50k back. I've no experience cycling around Roundwood and that. Is it safe? I'll be going out on a Friday morning.

What I'm basically looking for is a straight forward cycle with decent straights so I can keep a good pace. The start of Blessington is a little bit hard at the nursing home but it's fine after. The only thing being on a Friday there will be quarry trucks flying up and down making it lethal as they dont give two hoots about us.

I don't want too much hills though as the most I've cycled is about 50klm. So adding another 50 onto it will be doable but at the same time, I don't want to kill myself.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,572 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

even dialling back say 2km/h from your normal pace will make a big difference to your fatigue levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

If you're avoiding hills, Trim is ~50km from Tallaght. Tallaght > Lucan > Leixlip > Maynooth > Kilcock > Rathmolyon > Trim. You could join the canal after Lucan until Ferran Lock, cutting out Leixlip / Maynooth / Kilcock.

• Advertisement

If you're avoiding hills, Trim is ~50km from Tallaght. Tallaght > Lucan > Leixlip > Maynooth > Kilcock > Rathmolyon > Trim. You could join the canal after Lucan until Ferran Lock, cutting out Leixlip / Maynooth / Kilcock.

Thanks. I'll take that route so. I'll start planning it now.

A cyclist who I train kickboxing with has suggested tallaght to baltinglass.
    He's going to do the cycle with me on a Saturday instead. He's done it before. 100klm round trip and not too many quarry trucks cause its the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭AhhHere

byrnem31 wrote: »
    A cyclist who I train kickboxing with has suggested tallaght to baltinglass.
    He's going to do the cycle with me on a Saturday instead. He's done it before. 100klm round trip and not too many quarry trucks cause its the weekend.

Is that straight via the N81?

AhhHere wrote: »
    Is that straight via the N81?

Yes it is. Just straight all the way really from tallaght all the way out.

• Advertisement
Advertisement