Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House prices

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,493 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Also today they would be anything from 500k to 550k depending on how much work was done to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

It has also moved from Ballymun to Glasnevin in that time :)

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭gaming_needs90

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUFZ1_fC3Kw

Great video above on the housing crisis, from a world view. Basically housing used to be seen as a commodity really and wasn't the largest part of a persons spending. Mad to think of it that way now!

Also, the style of that house is the stuff of nightmares!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,690 ✭✭✭Allinall

The standards of kitchens have gone to hell in modern houses.

I've yet to see one of the new fancy kitchens in which a housewife would be happy to spend all day.

Where have we gone wrong?

mloc123 wrote: »
    It has also moved from Ballymun to Glasnevin in that time :)

In fairness, the ad does say it's either Finglas or Glasnevin, or Ballymun.

What I am curious about is how difficult would it have been in 1967 for the average couple to buy a house that cost 3,950 with a 500 deposit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,536 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

It would be interesting to get a breakdown of materials costs back then and now to see if the level of those mirrors the cost of the house in today's money.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,690 ✭✭✭Allinall

Biggest driver of house prices back then was domestic rates.

They could often be 10% of the cost of a house. Each year!

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭gaming_needs90

Allinall wrote: »
    Biggest driver of house prices back then was domestic rates.

They could often be 10% of the cost of a house. Each year!

I suppose as the relative price of the loan is low, the interest needs to be high to have a good profit. Again, as the loan is so low, the customer should be well able to pay the interest. As the price of loans went way higher, the rates came down.

What I am saying is I suppose its all relative at the end of the day :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭Marius34

mariaalice wrote: »
    Came across this yesterday I did a historical calculator on the 1967 cost and in today's money and the cost is about it's about 53,000.

I am self-isolating and a bit bored:pac:

https://brandnewretro.ie/2015/04/11/house-of-the-year-1967-willow-park-grove-ballymun/

How did you end up with this costs? What's included in the price?

Marius34 wrote: »

http://www.hargaden.com/enda/inflation/calculator.html

I might have got it slightly wrong by not including the deposit but not by much

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I suppose as the relative price of the loan is low, the interest needs to be high to have a good profit. Again, as the loan is so low, the customer should be well able to pay the interest. As the price of loans went way higher, the rates came down.

What I am saying is I suppose its all relative at the end of the day :o

Actually I doubt it's relative tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,161 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

listermint wrote: »
    Actually I doubt it's relative tbh.

It's really not relative at all.

http://www.hargaden.com/enda/inflation/calculator.html

I might have got it slightly wrong by not including the deposit but not by much

link is just a calculator. Doesn't say anything what's included in the price. Does it includes house?

link is just a calculator. Doesn't say anything what's included in the price. Does it includes house?

The price of the house is in the original image on the first post .........

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Lmkrnr

The magazine rack cost £10 and house £1950. So the house was the same price as 195 magazine racks. How many racks would you get in today's market for the same house.

listermint wrote: »
    The price of the house is in the original image on the first post .........

Thanks! See now.
    Calculator gives different:
    £3950 in 1967 was worth about €80305.98 in 2020.
    Obviously, still many times less from current price.
    Not sure what's that mean "annual ground rent: £18"

Thanks! See now.
    Calculator gives different:
    £3950 in 1967 was worth about €80305.98 in 2020.
    Obviously, still many times less from current price.
    Not sure what's that mean "annual ground rent: £18"

Very common back then to not own the freehold to the land the house was on. Often paying ground rent to land owner . Land owner could be historical or even the developer.

The price is on the ad. About £4K.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Allinall wrote: »
    The standards of kitchens have gone to hell in modern houses.

I've yet to see one of the new fancy kitchens in which a housewife would be happy to spend all day.

Where have we gone wrong?

Wouldn't that go for everyone. Not many people would want to spend the whole day in a kitchen unless it was their employment

Anyone have any clue what sort of people would have been able to afford a house like that in 1967, was it considered expensive.

• Advertisement

A glance through the employment advertisements in The Irish Times of January 1967, show wages that seem cruelly low. A salesman aged 25 could expect to earn £1,000 a year, one with more experience earned a mere £2,000.

County councils advertising for a temporary engineer were willing to pay just £1,490, office managers commanded £1,600, and Irish solicitors and barristers willing to work in South Africa for the year were being paid £3,000.

On these figures, then, a reasonable salary for a young professional was £1,500.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/you-have-had-it-so-good-in-1967-1.24919

A glance through the employment advertisements in The Irish Times of January 1967, show wages that seem cruelly low. A salesman aged 25 could expect to earn £1,000 a year, one with more experience earned a mere £2,000.

County councils advertising for a temporary engineer were willing to pay just £1,490, office managers commanded £1,600, and Irish solicitors and barristers willing to work in South Africa for the year were being paid £3,000.

On these figures, then, a reasonable salary for a young professional was £1,500.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/you-have-had-it-so-good-in-1967-1.24919

So house was worth 2.5 times the average professional salary.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭some random drunk

Anyone have any clue what sort of people would have been able to afford a house like that in 1967, was it considered expensive.

My parents, then aged 25 and 23 bought a small 3 bed semi in what would have been considered the edge of Rathfarnham (ie the cheap part) for the same price (£4k) in the same year on a single income. It was still reasonably expensive and they could only afford to furnish the house one room at a time and initially had "the shame" of bare floorboards ( in a time when carpets were the fashion). But it was certainly a lot more doable than today even on 2 salaries for people in their 30s or 40s.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Philo62

Came across this yesterday I did a historical calculator on the 1967 cost and in today's money and the cost is about it's about 53,000.

I am self-isolating and a bit bored:pac:

https://brandnewretro.ie/2015/04/11/house-of-the-year-1967-willow-park-grove-ballymun/

This is an interesting post.
    I’m bored too, but remember my parents talking about these prices back then!

53k is off the mark though more like 102k
    3,950 punts in euro is 5,012 & using inflation calculator would be almost 102,000 in today’s money

Other things to remember back then, interest rates way higher & max term on loan 20 years v 35 + nowadays. So much lower purchase prices but repayments i.e. affordability would be a lot closer.

Philo62 wrote: »
    This is an interesting post.
    I’m bored too, but remember my parents talking about these prices back then!

53k is off the mark though more like 102k
    3,950 punts in euro is 5,012 & using inflation calculator would be almost 102,000 in today’s money

Other things to remember back then, interest rates way higher & max term on loan 20 years v 35 + nowadays. So much lower purchase prices but repayments i.e. affordability would be a lot closer.

Yeah, I might have been a bit of with calculation to modern prices but still seems to be a lot more affordable than it would be today.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Philo62

Yeah, I might have been a bit of with calculation to modern prices but still seems to be a lot more affordable than it would be today.

Yes agree, houses are totally overpriced due to many reasons main one being supply currently far exceeding demand. We need government initiatives based on addressing supply not ones based on making houses more affordable. Making them more affordable simply means helping buyers pay these inflated prices & puts all burden on the poor buyers. Not a great time to have to buy in my opinion, we are at top of curve.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Philo62 wrote:
    Yes agree, houses are totally overpriced due to many reasons main one being supply currently far exceeding demand. We need government initiatives based on addressing supply not ones based on making houses more affordable. Making them more affordable simply means helping buyers pay these inflated prices & puts all burden on the poor buyers. Not a great time to have to buy in my opinion, we are at top of curve.

Our STV political system makes it impossible to fix this problem as it reinforces parish pump politics over the common good.

It's the reason that politicians from all parties are objecting to developments on behalf of constituents instead of acknowledging that unpopular decisions need to be made.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

Beautiful house. Beautifully decorated with alot of style.

Advertisement