Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A, B or C: you die anyway

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

L1011 wrote: »
    Malaysias HDI does not meet the standards to be considered a developed country, which is what people mean by 'first world' these days (as the cold war era concept that has Ireland in the third world is not used except by pedants or historians in context, but someone will mention it to try counter this point if I don't get there first)

Singapore and UAE do, but they are not democratic countries.

I didn’t know that about Malaysia.... that actually surprises me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

If I were on death row, I'd go for the firing squad

theguzman wrote: »
    If only Ireland had a proper justice system here, instead free social housing and a printed million in welfare to habitually re-offend for the rest of their life.

What does this have to do with anything?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

For first-world, Japan also still do it - and by hanging at that. Don't think there's many/any other democratic countries doing it any more - well, there's a few where they might still have elections but elect a despot.
    Japan has this nice thing where they don't announce the date of executions. So every morning ...

Actually now that I think about it's not that nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

I wonder why hanging isn’t an option - or the guilletione? Reusable, relatively eco- friendly and quite cost efficient. Generations of countries used them successfully - and not as messy or traumatic for the staff as bullets, guns and human BBQ.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,296 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Yeah firing squad for me i remember the Green Mile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,933 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Not an option! Firing squad or the chair. :pac:

Believe it or not hanging is the most humane method of execution. The method was w LL refined by the time it is as done away with. Albert Pierrepoint had a man hanged in 7 seconds from the time he Pierrepoint entered the condemned man's cell. It's is the dislocation of the neck from the drop that kills.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,334 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

While researching this post I also discovered Belarus have it, not first world I know but a European country none the less!

The retention of the death penalty in Belarus is one of the reasons that they haven't been admitted to the Council of Europe. I'd imagine Alexander Lukashenko being a complete and utter nutjob is another.

I have a question , when did the US start having 52 states ?

Presumably it's 52 different legal systems - 50 states, District of Columbia and the Federal legal system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,404 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Zaph wrote: »
    The retention of the death penalty in Belarus is one of the reasons that they haven't been admitted to the Council of Europe. I'd imagine Alexander Lukashenko being a complete and utter nutjob is another.

Presumably it's 52 different legal systems - 50 states, District of Columbia and the Federal legal system.

Feckin' know all , will it be the chair or bullet for yourself ?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Puerto Rico abolished the death penalty in 1929.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,512 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

It's a wingnut's wet dream, making condemned prisoners choose the manner of their own death. All that's missing is charging their families for the bullets or the electricity used.

why do you think they conduct executions at midnight? they want to get the cheap night rate electricity.

* very obviously a joke so spare me the pearl clutching.

I wonder why hanging isn’t an option - or the guilletione? Reusable, relatively eco- friendly and quite cost efficient. Generations of countries used them successfully - and not as messy or traumatic for the staff as bullets, guns and human BBQ.

You seriously do not want the americans to hang you. Incompetent at best ranging to doing it wrong deliberately to make hanged man suffer more.

For first-world, Japan also still do it - and by hanging at that.

And inmates don't get an execution date. They're given about an hour's notice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,147 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

https://www.rte.ie/news/us/2021/0518/1222269-south-carolina/

The US state of South Carolina has introduced a law requiring death row prisoners to choose between firing squad and electric chair after a lack of lethal injection drugs halted executions for a decade.

"This weekend, I signed legislation into law that will allow the state to carry out a death sentence. The families and loved ones of victims are owed closure and justice by law. Now, we can provide it," Governor Henry McMaster said on Twitter.

The pro-death penalty Republican wants to resume executions after a 10-year hiatus caused by a shortage of drugs used in lethal injections.

prior to the choice, how was the death penalty fulfilled?

i reckon its better for all concerned to just not commit crimes that carry the death penalty!

prior to the choice, how was the death penalty fulfilled?

i reckon its better for all concerned to just not commit crimes that carry the death penalty!

it mentions it in the article. the previous choice was between Ol' Sparky and lethal injection, with lethal injection being the default.

it mentions it in the article. the previous choice was between Ol' Sparky and lethal injection, with lethal injection being the default.

so more choice.

personally id choose lethal injection after watching that movie with sean penn (i think). and yer man from the green mile :eek:

so more choice.

personally id choose lethal injection after watching that movie with sean penn (i think). and yer man from the green mile :eek:

no, the choice of lethal injection is gone. the pharmaceutical companies won't provide the drugs to them.

no, the choice of lethal injection is gone. the pharmaceutical companies won't provide the drugs to them.

whats the C choice so?

personally, i would choose option D...get rid of a death sentence. it serves no purpose only money saving as far as i can tell.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,334 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

whats the C choice so?

personally, i would choose option D...get rid of a death sentence. it serves no purpose only money saving as far as i can tell.

It doesn't even do that. Between all the legal arguments and hoops that have to be jumped through rejecting appeals, as well as greatly increased costs for maintaining death rows, the cost of executing a person in the US is significantly more than jailing them for life. In 2018 a report found it cost $1.1m more per death row inmate than if they had been jailed for life. With almost 2,800 prisoners on death row there, that's an extra $3bn effectively wasted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 513 ✭✭✭The DayDream

I'd opt for the firing squad, at least it would be instant.

But as a fat English jowly bloke once said, 'Why stand when you can sit?'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

A, aim for the heart, "Bang" sorted . . .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

How awful.

It doesn't even do that. Between all the legal arguments and hoops that have to be jumped through rejecting appeals, as well as greatly increased costs for maintaining death rows, the cost of executing a person in the US is significantly more than jailing them for life. In 2018 a report found it cost $1.1m more per death row inmate than if they had been jailed for life. With almost 2,800 prisoners on death row there, that's an extra $3bn effectively wasted.

it does seem seem fairly straight forward though:

no person shall be deprived of life, liberty, or property without due process of law

i read that as: with due process of law you can be deprived of loss of life, liberty, or property.

can you not have a referendum to change the constitution?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

How awful.

Instantaneous, and better than being plugged into the mains or being injected with rat poison, no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Instantaneous, and better than being plugged into the mains or being injected with rat poison, no?

A good shot from a firing squad and it’ll take about 10 to 15 seconds to lose consciousness and the shock should last long enough so you shouldn’t feel any pain.

The electric chair is lights out the second the switch is hit! It’s left running so yeah you’ll cook a bit but you’ll be dead by the time that starts to happen! If I got to chose myself it would be the chair

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

What? No Death By Snu Snu option?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Japan were very close to abolishing it before they hosted the olympics but covid messed it up.
    The thing is that the death penalty has massive public support there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭micar

stoneill wrote: »
    What? No Death By Snu Snu option?

You beat me to it

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭starkid

I have a question , when did the US start having 52 states ?

50 states and two extra jurisdictions - Alaska and Hawaii.

So in effect lets call it 52 states. It just renforces the point, comparing the justice system in small homegenous countries with such a behomouth is just disingenuous.

I mean look if Russia doesn't do the death penalty, then its kind of means you may be the bad guy.

But if people don't want the death penalty then lets not pretend life should mean life in many many cases.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,383 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

starkid wrote: »
    50 states and two extra jurisdictions - Alaska and Hawaii.

So in effect lets call it 52 states. It just renforces the point, comparing the justice system in small homegenous countries with such a behomouth is just disingenuous.

Alaska and Hawaii are part of the 50 I thought. DC and Puerto Rico are the extra jurisdictions to bring it to 52, otherwise there's only 48, or am I going mad?

Advertisement