Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google account is children's - need to convert to adult's

Options
  • 18-05-2021 1:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,950 ✭✭✭✭

Hey all,

I have a google account set up for my son. It's used exclusively for youtube. I have it signed into my phone, and I've been getting a popup for the last few weeks about setting the date of birth on that account. Wasn't really paying attention earlier so just filled it in, and now the account is locked as a kid's account and doesn't want to work properly. :(

I've tried logging into my own account (which is now a supervisor of my son's account) to try and alter the date of birth and I can't edit it, an error pops up.

Anyone have any idea on how to change the date of birth/account type? I can't find any proper guidance from google or elsewhere that confirms if this is even possible.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

dulpit wrote: »
    Hey all,

I have a google account set up for my son. It's used exclusively for youtube. I have it signed into my phone, and I've been getting a popup for the last few weeks about setting the date of birth on that account. Wasn't really paying attention earlier so just filled it in, and now the account is locked as a kid's account and doesn't want to work properly. :(

I've tried logging into my own account (which is now a supervisor of my son's account) to try and alter the date of birth and I can't edit it, an error pops up.

Anyone have any idea on how to change the date of birth/account type? I can't find any proper guidance from google or elsewhere that confirms if this is even possible.

Thanks in advance.

I had this happen to one of my kids, what you need to do is go to change the date and as verification they will charge a penny to a visa card then the new DOB will take. Can't remember quite how I did it but googled the below and it sounds about right!
    • Go to the official sign-in page of Google and then click on Sign In option.
    • Enter your login credentials for the disabled account and then click on Next.
    • Click on Try to Restore tab.
    • Now a new page will open where you may ask to enter the required information and then follow the on-screen instructions to restore your Google account.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,950 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Inquitus wrote: »
    I had this happen to one of my kids, what you need to do is go to change the date and as verification they will charge a penny to a visa card then the new DOB will take. Can't remember quite how I did it but googled the below and it sounds about right!
    • Go to the official sign-in page of Google and then click on Sign In option.
    • Enter your login credentials for the disabled account and then click on Next.
    • Click on Try to Restore tab.
    • Now a new page will open where you may ask to enter the required information and then follow the on-screen instructions to restore your Google account.

Story Inqui?

Turns out you can't, as the age was too low. Completely locked, wouldn't be able to change it until small fella turns 13 (he's 5). Abandoned account and started again.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

dulpit wrote: »
    Story Inqui?

Turns out you can't, as the age was too low. Completely locked, wouldn't be able to change it until small fella turns 13 (he's 5). Abandoned account and started again.

I managed it, my 8 year old did it a couple of years back, they might have changed the rules since. Keeping well, hope the same is true for your good self.

Advertisement