Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Non-refundable deposit to builder

Options
  • 18-05-2021 7:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭

We are hoping to get a small enough job done in our home, the cost will be about 6,000 euros. The builder has asked us for a 500 euro non-refundable deposit to be paid now to book the slot, with a lead time of a few months.

Does this sound right? Any other builders asking for the same?

I thought it sounded a bit strange as they are all so busy now, with long waiting lists, that even if someone were to change their minds, the builder should be easily able to bring forward one of their other jobs.

I've no problem paying the deposit if it all sounds above board. We are definitely going ahead with the job we want done.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭enricoh

We are hoping to get a small enough job done in our home, the cost will be about 6,000 euros. The builder has asked us for a 500 euro non-refundable deposit to be paid now to book the slot, with a lead time of a few months.

Does this sound right? Any other builders asking for the same?

I thought it sounded a bit strange as they are all so busy now, with long waiting lists, that even if someone were to change their minds, the builder should be easily able to bring forward one of their other jobs.

I've no problem paying the deposit if it all sounds above board. We are definitely going ahead with the job we want done.

Sounds iffy to me, a recipe for him coming back and saying materials and labour have gone up in the interval.
    I know a lad doing log cabins it makes his day when someone cancels as he's snowed under!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

I think it's fair enough once there's an agreement.

Obviously if he can't start on the start date, it would be refunded.

But builders are planning their diaries months in advance now and want to be sure that they can keep onto good workers, so a small deposit ensures you don't get someone else and then forget to say anything.

Just make sure that there's a receipt and agreement.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

nothing wrong with a deposit. far too many time wasters out there.

Advertisement