Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3D Printing Quotes

Options
  • 18-05-2021 8:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭

Hi guys and gals,

Could someone enlighten me whether or not I'm getting a good deal or no. I've been quoted 150 euro for a custom piece of 3D printing. Without giving away too many of the details (as i'd be kind of mortified were the seller to see this).

Its a small block, of approximate measurements 128mm*88mm*60mm with 24 individual tube silo's in a pattern of of 6*4.

I've never sought any 3D printing services before so have absolutely no idea as to whether or not this is good, bad or about right. Any input is welcome thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭TychoCaine

Ronanc1 wrote: »
    Hi guys and gals,

Could someone enlighten me whether or not I'm getting a good deal or no. I've been quoted 150 euro for a custom piece of 3D printing. Without giving away too many of the details (as i'd be kind of mortified were the seller to see this).

Its a small block, of approximate measurements 128mm*88mm*60mm with 24 individual tube silo's in a pattern of of 6*4.

I've never sought any 3D printing services before so have absolutely no idea as to whether or not this is good, bad or about right. Any input is welcome thanks.

It entirely depends on the material you're printing with. It's a total rip if you're getting it printed in plastic, but metal laser sintering will easily run to that kind of money when the printer itself costs €50k. If you want a ballpark for professional printing as a service upload your design and spec to https://xometry.eu/ and see what that quotes you.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Ronanc1

TychoCaine wrote: »
    It entirely depends on the material you're printing with. It's a total rip if you're getting it printed in plastic, but metal laser sintering will easily run to that kind of money when the printer itself costs €50k. If you want a ballpark for professional printing as a service upload your design and spec to https://xometry.eu/ and see what that quotes you.

Yeah its quoted as "PLA filament" on a Creality, Thanks for the link also. Uploading the .STL file from Thingiverse shows a cost of 30 euro alone to print not including shipping so I think it's fair to say my original quote is a bit steep alright. :eek:

Thanks for the heads up!

• Registered Users Posts: 23 DanielL18

https://www.ua3dprinting.ie/new-shop/3d-print/

This company in galway gives you an instant quote as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭AirBiscuit

If you download Cura you can set up a dummy printer and put in the cost of a spool of PLA from amazon in the configuration menu (I paid €19.83 for a kilo of generic PLA as of this week).
    Once you've done that you can slice the .stl and get a rough estimate of the cost of filament (though the model may need support structures to be printed, which use extra plastic)
    Not included in this price will be the electricity to run the printer (about 300-ish watts), postage, whatever premiums they tack on for use of a specific colour of PLA, then finally their markup.

Some really rough back-of-the-envelope maths for the block you mentioned: Assuming you just want a 100% solid block with those dimensions (silos excluded) it works out at ~675.84cm³, which according to Cura's density of Generic PLA of 1.24 g/cm³ is approximately ~€13.40 worth of the cheap filament I got. 100% solid is more of a worst case scenario, and I don't know what you mean by silos (either cylindrical cutouts in the solid block, cylinders on top of the block, or, worst case scenario for that quote, just 24 thing tubes occupying the volume of the block you said because that will print the fastest and be the most baffling price-wise).

DanielL18 wrote: »
    https://www.ua3dprinting.ie/new-shop/3d-print/

This company in galway gives you an instant quote as well.

Thank you, always good to have extra options.

• Advertisement

AirBiscuit wrote: »
    Some really rough back-of-the-envelope maths for the block you mentioned: Assuming you just want a 100% solid block with those dimensions (silos excluded) it works out at ~675.84cm³, which according to Cura's density of Generic PLA of 1.24 g/cm³ is approximately ~€13.40 worth of the cheap filament I got. 100% solid is more of a worst case scenario, and I don't know what you mean by silos (either cylindrical cutouts in the solid block, cylinders on top of the block, or, worst case scenario for that quote, just 24 thing tubes occupying the volume of the block you said because that will print the fastest and be the most baffling price-wise).

Cylindrical cutouts is exactly what I was going for, I had submitted my janky 3mf attempt made with MS 3D builder to the crowd I was inquiring with and it was pretty much a flat base with cylinders on top of the block. I was guessing this would use less material and be quicker and cheaper to make. The person I was in contact with offered a redesign which was the solid block with cutouts...but sure knowing so little I was just assuming he knew best and went along with him :o.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

Ronanc1 wrote: »
    Hi guys and gals,

Well you could buy a 3d Printer for about the same price!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

If you are not supplying the STL file then you are possibly also being charged for time designing the part in CAD, if not then it may be bugger off pricing.

Advertisement