If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Component recommendations for Rega P1

Options
  • 18-05-2021 8:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Hi,

I am a complete newbie to vinyl, but have been gifted a Rega P1 for my birthday. I am interested in a slightly above entry-level setup if possible, and my budget is about euro 600-ish (although I understand that this statement might be contradictory, so if increasing the budget slightly results in much better quality then wiling to consider that too). I love music, used to collect CDs (have about 1,000 still in the attic that need offloading), and play a lot of streaming music already.

I currently have a small Sonos setup (2 x play3s, 1 x play one) in the house that takes care of my music streaming needs, as well as a Samsung Soundbar, sub and rear wireless speakers for the TV in the living room (my budget at the time wouldn't stretch to a full Sonos setup). 

However, I'm interested in a more 'traditional' analog setup, which I'm learning means investing in a pre-amp, amplifier and speakers or else a pre-amp and active speakers. I've heard pros and many cons for active speakers. I would like a relatively compact setup if possible as the setup will be for a regular sized room, but I also want a decent setup sound fidelity wise. Im wary of buying too cheap, and regretting it later.

So, what would you recommend in terms of components that would get me close to what I'd like. Something that will give me decent sound, not break the bank and would go well with the P1.

Thanks!

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 17,276 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

Grover81 wrote: »
    Hi,

I am a complete newbie to vinyl, but have been gifted a Rega P1 for my birthday. I am interested in a slightly above entry-level setup if possible, and my budget is about euro 600-ish (although I understand that this statement might be contradictory, so if increasing the budget slightly results in much better quality then wiling to consider that too). I love music, used to collect CDs (have about 1,000 still in the attic that need offloading), and play a lot of streaming music already.

I currently have a small Sonos setup (2 x play3s, 1 x play one) in the house that takes care of my music streaming needs, as well as a Samsung Soundbar, sub and rear wireless speakers for the TV in the living room (my budget at the time wouldn't stretch to a full Sonos setup). 

However, I'm interested in a more 'traditional' analog setup, which I'm learning means investing in a pre-amp, amplifier and speakers or else a pre-amp and active speakers. I've heard pros and many cons for active speakers. I would like a relatively compact setup if possible as the setup will be for a regular sized room, but I also want a decent setup sound fidelity wise. Im wary of buying too cheap, and regretting it later.

So, what would you recommend in terms of components that would get me close to what I'd like. Something that will give me decent sound, not break the bank and would go well with the P1.

Thanks!
    Hey Grover81.

Thanks for the post.

The Rega P1 is a very nice turntable.

You could check out the Denon PMA800 which is a fantastic sounding amp at it's price point. We run this on demo here at the store.
    Priced at 419 Euro
    https://euro.richersounds.ie/p-203652-denon-pma800ne-black-stereo-amplifier.aspx

Or if you wanted to incorporate streaming feature there is the Excellent Yamaha RN602 priced at 449 Euro
    https://euro.richersounds.ie/p-201953-yamaha-rn602-black-black-network-stereo-receiver.aspx

You could pair this with the Wharfdale 220 priced at 199 Euro
    https://euro.richersounds.ie/p-200924-wharfedale-diamond-220-black-speakers-per-pair.aspx

Or the Dali Spektor 1 priced at 204 Euro
    https://euro.richersounds.ie/p-203101-dali-spektor-1-black-speakers-per-pair.aspx

If possible I would skip the Active speakers as you will get a much better sound from a separate system.

The only other thing you would require would be some speaker cable:
    https://euro.richersounds.ie/cssearch.aspx?searchterm=symphony#pgnum=&sort=

Let me know your thoughts.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Grover81

Thanks Kenny!

Ok, I may ask a bunch of additional stupid questions based on my limited knowledge, so apologies in advance for that!

It looks like for a small amount extra, the Yamaha RN602 brings quite a bit of additionally functionality with bluetooth and wifi connectivity. I already use Sonos for streaming Spotify etc., so Im not too sure if I would get the benefits from the streaming capabilities. However, the bluetooth connectivity is a nice add on. 

The Denon PMA800 lacks those features, but is comparable in price - would I be right in saying then that the Denon amp is a better quality one then Yamaha? Can I also ask if there's much benefit of the PMA800 over the PMA600, and would both of these amps you suggest (Yamaha RN602 or Denon PMA800) be better than the slightly cheaper Yamaha AS310?

In terms of speakers, the Dali Spektor looks nice simply because of the smaller form factor. I am a fan of bass though (blues, disco, R&B) so is there any concerns that for a smaller speaker set the bass might suffer?

And to throw a complete wildcard, could I use something like the Denon DRA800H Black and use it for both the Rega P1 and TV surround sound via my existing older Samsung sound bar, subwoofer ((its about 5 years old set, [font=Roboto, RobotoDraft, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]HW-M550)[/font] and wireless rear speakers (Samsung SWA-9000S)[font=Roboto, RobotoDraft, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]?[/font]

Thanks

Thanks Kenny!

Ok, I may ask a bunch of additional stupid questions based on my limited knowledge, so apologies in advance for that!

It looks like for a small amount extra, the Yamaha RN602 brings quite a bit of additionally functionality with bluetooth and wifi connectivity. I already use Sonos for streaming Spotify etc., so Im not too sure if I would get the benefits from the streaming capabilities. However, the bluetooth connectivity is a nice add on. 

The Denon PMA800 lacks those features, but is comparable in price - would I be right in saying then that the Denon amp is a better quality one then Yamaha? Can I also ask if there's much benefit of the PMA800 over the PMA600, and would both of these amps you suggest (Yamaha RN602 or Denon PMA800) be better than the slightly cheaper Yamaha AS310?

In terms of speakers, the Dali Spektor looks nice simply because of the smaller form factor. I am a fan of bass though (blues, disco, R&B) so is there any concerns that for a smaller speaker set the bass might suffer?

And to throw a complete wildcard, could I use something like the Denon DRA800H Black and use it for both the Rega P1 and TV surround sound via my existing older Samsung sound bar, subwoofer ((its about 5 years old set, [font=Roboto, RobotoDraft, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]HW-M550)[/font] and wireless rear speakers (Samsung SWA-9000S)[font=Roboto, RobotoDraft, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]?[/font]

Thanks

Hi Grover81.

The RN602 does have a lot more feature to the PMA8000 but both would have a very similar sound quality.
    Over the PMA600 the PMA800 adds speaker set B, it has an extra set up digital inputs and the phono stage can also do MC as well as MM.
    The PMA800 also has more power at 85 Watts per channel to the 45 Watts of the PMA600.

Both would be better than the AS301.

The Dali speakers pack a punch for their size and can produce a good level of bass.
    If you wanted a more punchy speaker you could get out the larger Spektor 2 retailing at 264 Euro
    https://euro.richersounds.ie/p-202964-dali-spektor-2-black-speakers-per-pair.aspx

The DRA800 give all the features of the PMA but adds in the HDMI inputs and also Heos for streaming which is their version to rival Sonos.
    You could not use the DRA800 along with your soundbar unfortunately as there is no way to pair these together.
    Your current soundbar setup would be better for movies in surround sound than the amps listed above but for 2 channel stereo the PMA's and DRA would be an excellent addition.

Thanks a lot Kenny for the additional info.

Based on that, I think the Denon PMA8000, mostly due to the lower profile, and the Spektor 2 in walnut would be the way to go.

Are both of these items avail for delivery to Dublin and is there any bundle deal or wiggle room on price?

I've also seen lots of recommendations for the Maratz PM6007, but not sure if I can justify the extra spend; have you found the reviews warranted?

Thanks a lot Kenny for the additional info.

Based on that, I think the Denon PMA8000, mostly due to the lower profile, and the Spektor 2 in walnut would be the way to go.

Are both of these items avail for delivery to Dublin and is there any bundle deal or wiggle room on price?

I've also seen lots of recommendations for the Maratz PM6007, but not sure if I can justify the extra spend; have you found the reviews warranted?
    Hey Grover81.

The PM6007 is a great amplifier and the reviews are pretty much spot on.
    Marantz always get excellent reviews with the 6000 series.

Not lot of movement on the DRA800. However I have a clearance one priced at 389 Euro. (It was purchased and once the customer go home he realised he needed an AV receiver and returned it straight away).
    It is in 100% condition and in original box with all accessories.

I could offer the Spektor 1's along with the amp for 180 Euro and also throw in 2-3 meters of speaker cable free of charge.

For the PM6007, I also have a clearance one of these which again was purchased and returned with 2-3 days as the customer upgraded to a higher spec'd amp.
    The clearance unit is priced at 469.00 Euro.

• Advertisement

I'll definitely go for the DRA800 clearance, if available!

That's a great deal with the Spektor 1s, but I wonder if there's any deal you could offer for the Spektor 2s, due to the punchier sound that you mentioned (and I think I have 'just' enough space for them)?

That's a great deal with the Spektor 1s, but I wonder if there's any deal you could offer for the Spektor 2s, due to the punchier sound that you mentioned (and I think I have 'just' enough space for them)?
    Hi Grover81.

The DRA800 clearance is still available.
    It is listed in the clearance section on our website so it could go at time.

It might be a good idea to pop a little reserve on it if its the one you are after.

On the Spektor 2 speakers I could offer a pair at 233 Euro along with an amp.

Hi Grover81.

It might be a good idea to pop a little reserve on it if its the one you are after.

Brilliant - what's the best way to go ahead with this, over the phone/email?

Hi Grover81.

Brilliant - what's the best way to go ahead with this, over the phone/email?
    Hey Grover81.

You can PM me your contact number and we can finalise vie the phone or I can get a personalised code to entre on our website that will reduce the speakers at the checkout.

Let me know which you would prefer.

PM sent!

• Advertisement

PM sent!
    Cheers Grover81 :)

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.