Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin media price increase.

Options
  • 18-05-2021 10:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭

Not sure if its across the board for everyone, but got an email saying price increase of €4 per month on broadband.

Now the funny thing is two weeks ago VM sent a note around the estate saying they are improving the service and we will be without BB whilst they do the upgrade works. Is this the improvement they're taking about? Improving profits.

Time to change, as was lazy and out of contract for over 12 months.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Straylight

Yeah, got that last week. Problem I have is that both my wife and I are still working from home for the foreseeable future, so don't want to risk being without any service for even a day or two while it's being switched, as I've heard of people having all sorts of issues while changing over to a new provider.

That said, we have Sky TV, so it would make sense switching to them. Anyone in and around Hartstown with Sky broadband? If so, is it reliable and what are the speeds like?

• Registered Users Posts: 47 twiga

Anyone had luck with calling and getting discounts on their plans? This has worked for me twice in the past, just tell them you want to leave and they normally offer something.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,417 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Privitising a significant proportion of our broadband infrastructure should resolve these kind of issues, nothing like a bit of competition, to bring down prices!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭ari101

twiga wrote: »
    Anyone had luck with calling and getting discounts on their plans? This has worked for me twice in the past, just tell them you want to leave and they normally offer something.

Yeah I asked and they offered me 9mths at 45/mth on the basic 250mb package (60/mth thereafter, 12mth contract). It is 40/mth for 12 mths for the same thing for new customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭jeffk

Dark ages Dublin 15, well down by Corduff it is

Virgin media 500 or so

Or Eir, sky etc, 15 or so

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Straylight wrote: »
    Yeah, got that last week. Problem I have is that both my wife and I are still working from home for the foreseeable future, so don't want to risk being without any service for even a day or two while it's being switched, as I've heard of people having all sorts of issues while changing over to a new provider.
    You'd be moving from cable to DSL so there would not be any down time. You could overlap the services.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭donaghs

ari101 wrote: »
    Yeah I asked and they offered me 9mths at 45/mth on the basic 250mb package (60/mth thereafter, 12mth contract). It is 40/mth for 12 mths for the same thing for new customers.

They throw you a bone at the last minute to keep your business. . But it sounds like its time to leave. I eventually gave up on them myself. Vodafone and other swere doing a 12 month contract for €30/mth for 1Gb download - broadband only, but had deals on bundles too.
    Prices have probably gone up since, but it sounds like you can do better.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

It’s a game to either get a price increase from a majority, a new contract with discounts or a possible cross sell of a TV product from a large minority, and a cancellation from quite a small percentage.
    They’ve been doing this for decades.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 twiga

ari101 wrote: »

Hmm, when I did it last time I got 50% off for 6 months, which I suppose is similar. Hassle to change, that is what they bank on. Suppose I should give it a go and see how low they go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭ari101

twiga wrote: »
    Hmm, when I did it last time I got 50% off for 6 months, which I suppose is similar. Hassle to change, that is what they bank on. Suppose I should give it a go and see how low they go.

Let me know, I've been busy so haven't had a chance to confirm the details of sky's 35/mth for 12 mth package. (looks like a 165 euro difference across a year which would be enough for me to move if everything stacks up)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

This is more suited to the Broadband forum where there is a thread about the Virgin Media price increase already: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058154242.

Thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement