Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So UFOs aren't a theory anymore - but we still don't know what they are

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭celtic_oz

post #93

"The chances of two forms of intelligent life from two different solar systems ever encountering each other is 0."

I said if you want to compare the supernatural to ET physics then that's YOUR decision.

There are probably unknown tribes in the amazon who point to planes and say ju ju under the mountain is angry, but more than likely its their current understanding of physics that is lacking.

There is no offence taken, you seem to be accusatory and confrontational though?

With regards to knowing the mind of potential ET's and their evasive sightings I'm afraid you'll have to ask them.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,236 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

But no, that post doesn't say that there's zero percent chance of aliens existing.

It says specifically:

The chances of somewhere within space and time that there is other intelligent life on another planet is essentially 1 due to the universe being so huge.

And again, you've dodged the question I asked with more random, borderline racist ranting there.

I've asked you to explain why you are allowed to apply this argument of "physics doesn't know everything" to support your beliefs, but this same argument cannot be used to support other beliefs.

This is contradictory and indicates that you know your own argument is flawed.

What's the difference between supernatural entities and aliens you believe have essentially supernatural powers?

If you are claiming that aliens can do anything because there might be physics we don't understand, this must then also apply to supernatural things as well. By your argument they must also be using some physics we don't yet understand.

The reason I keep pointing out that you are not answering the question is because you aren't answering it.

Is there a reason you're not answering it?

And you admit that it doesn't make sense for aliens to be detectable by lights and by radar and you can't provide a rational reason why they would need to physically come to Earth.

Cool.

To most people, these would be good reasons not to believe that all these ufo sightings are the result of aliens.

Why do you believe they aren't issues for that idea?

Can you not read an entire post ?

"The chances of somewhere within space and time that there is other intelligent life on another planet is essentially 1 due to the universe being so huge.

The chances of two forms of intelligent life from two different solar systems ever encountering each other is 0. The scale space and the time of the universe is so great, and the time duration that any lifeforms are likely to exist before wiping themselves out or being wiped out are so tiny that it would never happen."

The comparison I made is not a racist rant, no need to be accusatory.

We may be the equivalent of such people who don't understand ET physics, now if you would like to cry supernatural then go ahead, invent a religion if you want. I would prefer to say "I dont know what they are and if they are ET it looks like their technology is based on physics we dont yet understand"

Sorry mate. You've dodged my questions again.

Why?

"I've asked you to explain why you are allowed to apply this argument of "physics doesn't know everything" to support your beliefs, but this same argument cannot be used to support other beliefs."

Because by definition we don't know all physics, it changes by the minute.

Observations are used to modify scientific theory all the time.

Calling on the supernatural to explain something has ALWAYS been wrong to date.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

And if you read the follow up posts you'll have seen it said that whilst I said 1 and 0 the numbers were actually 0.999999999 and a whole lot more 9s that wouldn't be worth typing out, and 0.000000 and a whole lot more 0s that wouldn't be worth typing out followed by a 1.

But you are essentially calling on the supernatural by just assuming that aliens can do whatever using magic/physics we don't understand yet.

But then at the same time you apply random limitations to these aliens.

Apparently they can travel faster that light, detect humans from light years away... but haven't figured out how to defeat radar or turn off the lights in ther ships?

Why can something supernatural such as ghosts or fairies not be the result of physics we don't understand yet?

Why do you discount all supernatural explanations as impossible?

Why does this not apply to aliens?

To my knowledge "aliens" have about as good a track record as an explanation as supernatural stuff.

The difference is that you're applying a different standard to the explanation you like.

Could you also maybe explain why it's taken 3 attempts for you to address this question?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,033 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

We're uncovering more about physics, it doesn't mean there's a way to break those limits.

Think about it, if a race was so advanced they could go faster than the speed of light, then they would have utterly no issue remaining undetectable by our primitive technology. We are at the stage where we can observe distant planets, we can observe our own planet with satellites. They would have to be magnitudes ahead of that, why would they have to enter our airspace and clumsily be "glimpsed" by fighter pilots?

If there was an advanced ET race out there capable of FTL interstellar travel and they were observing us, even being among us, we would have zero idea about it

That's even assuming that the need to actually physically visit our solar system.

But since physics still has many unknowns they could just as easily develop ways to observe distant planets from their homeworld.

They could use their super advanced technology to simply gather the data they want like we would using spy satellites or the Hubble telescope.

And on the flip side, if the argument is going to change to "they're trying to give us a sign". Then why the **** aren't they showing up in a clear unambiguous way? Why hide and only appear by using bring flashy lights that are very indistinct and random and randomly buzz military jets?

Their hyper advanced technology would mean that we cannot possibly be a threat to them and their highly advance translation technology would mean they know perfectly well how to communicate with us.

If the assumption is that aliens are all powerful then what we observe doesn't fit with that as an explanation.

"But you are essentially calling on the supernatural by just assuming that aliens can do whatever using magic/physics we don't understand yet."

What utter rubbish.

If the Russians or the Chinese demonstrated weapons that were contrary to our knowledge of physics in the west .. no one would shout

"what we have here is a missile that demonstrates physics we don't yet understand, alternatively AND EQUALLY LIKELY they may have summoned a demon"

have a read , no mention of calling ghost busters.

"But then at the same time you apply random limitations to these aliens. Apparently they can travel faster that light, detect humans from light years away... but haven't figured out how to defeat radar or turn off the lights in ther ships?"

WHO says they they want to defeat our radar, or turn off their lights , I said "With regards to knowing the mind of potential ET's and their evasive sightings I'm afraid you'll have to ask them."

"Why can something supernatural such as ghosts or fairies not be the result of physics we don't understand yet? Why do you discount all supernatural explanations as impossible?"

I never said that, I said anytime in the history of MAN when we invoked the supernatural to explain something we were wrong.

"Why does this not apply to aliens? To my knowledge "aliens" have about as good a track record as an explanation as supernatural stuff."

Exactly, your knowledge is probably lacking, continue the research

"The difference is that you're applying a different standard to the explanation you like. Could you also maybe explain why it's taken 3 attempts for you to address this question?"

I have addressed it every time, you just ignore it.

Potential visiting ETs probably have a better understanding of physics than we do, seeing as they are already visiting planets across very large distances and we can't do that yet. Seeing as they may have a much older civilization this is plausible. In what way is that equally likely to supernatural bumkin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,424 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

The point is that whenever there is high quality footage, it's obviously not an alien, it's only when the footage is blurry and ambiguous that people can make an argument that its aliens (but can be loads of other more mundane phenomenon too)

How many seconds of HD footage would be required to be undeniable proof of ET visitation ?

That would depend on the video being undeniably authentic and undeniably aliens, but you don't even have a single second of high definition video or a single non blurry photograph

Evidence always has to be taken in context. If evidence is produced where it can be positively and multilaterally identified that the object in question is not from this planet, then that would be strong evidence.

"If the Russians or the Chinese demonstrated weapons that were contrary to our knowledge of physics in the west" - Sorry but give one example of this ever happening? I suspect you are confusing new/refined technology with "breaking physics" (the example you gave demonstrates this)

That YOU have seen, there may be some released soon.

Remember these things have been seen "EVERY DAY FOR AT LEAST A COUPLE OF YEARS" by some pilots

Subject to them being undeniably authentic and I'm not sure how they could be undeniably aliens, but sure give us the number of seconds anyway.

It will interesting to see how the burden of proof changes if they are released.

Right but in fairness over decades plenty of experts, military people, professionals and even groups have claimed to have seen aliens and craft quite close up. All of these mysteriously stopped when we got mobile phones with high quality video cameras on them.

OK so when the evidence is released I'll happily review it and adjust my opinion accordingly

Until it is revealed, you have to admit you've got very weak evidence at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭john123470

This a long shot .. but worth a try.

Ok .. say eg .. you haven't been laid since the Ole King died .. right .. it starts gettin to you .. bfore you know it youre swimmin in some kind of wet dreamland. Tryin keep your head above the tide .. and slippin fast ..

Only natural you'd start seeing things .. lights in the sky .. a few Voices here and there .. an abduction ( if youre Lucky !) ..

Folk with healthy sex lives dont start seeing odd lights in the sky .. no low flying saucers .. theyre too busy having sex

Just sayin

Maybe folk just need to chill and get laid

• Advertisement

I've no idea about this phenomenon, and remain firmly sceptical

Q: Say that again .. you floated out the window?

Abductee : Yes paralyzed into a space ship

Q: Any HD photos with an iphone

Abductee : No

John Edward Mack (October 4, 1929 – September 27, 2004) was an American psychiatrist, writer, and professor and the head of the department of psychiatry at Harvard Medical School. 

Lol a lot of words that never actually address any of my points.

Can you point to any examples where the explanation turned out to be aliens?

You say I'm just lacking research there, so please enlighten me.

Sorry you've dodged the question again. Why do you keep doing this?

I asked you to provide examples of where the explanation turned out to be aliens.

Please provide them.

its a plausible explanation for the current UFO phenomenon, can you tell us why you think it might be the ghost of Elvis, or maybe the marshmallow man from ghostbusters

But that's not an answer to the question I've asked you.

You are now also going on a strange rant.

Last time:

Please point to an example where the explanation was shown to be aliens.

If you ignore the question again, I will take that to mean you admit you can't point to any examples.

Alternatively you could explain why you keep avoiding this question and the others.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,078 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Some Americans also think JFK Jr is going to run for 2024 US election with Donald Trump.

Indeed and one poll suggested that up to 40% of us believe in ghosts. The human mind has an incredible capacity to not only invent stuff, but also firmly believe those inventions.

• Advertisement

I keep answering your question , why do you keep ignoring it

why ?

We've never proven anything to be aliens however its a MORE plausible than the boogey man.

And if you cant understand that then I cant help you.

Advertisement