Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English Lavender

Options
  • 19-05-2021 9:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi

I have three English lavender plants in my back garden.
    I am just wondering when should I start seeing the purple flowers.

Also one of them looks quite bare. Is there anything I can do to try bulk the plant up so it fills true pot like the other two?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,424 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Its a bit early still for lavender, they evidently flowered last year so should flower this year. Have you moved the pots? They prefer a sunny spot in free drained soil. Don't feed, they will just grow soft greenery. You must give them a haircut after flowering. Don't cut back into 'dead' wood but trim off the flower stems and about a third of the new growth, otherwise they will grow lanky and bare stemmed.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Mick00

looksee wrote: »
    Its a bit early still for lavender, they evidently flowered last year so should flower this year. Have you moved the pots? They prefer a sunny spot in free drained soil. Don't feed, they will just grow soft greenery. You must give them a haircut after flowering. Don't cut back into 'dead' wood but trim off the flower stems and about a third of the new growth, otherwise they will grow lanky and bare stemmed.

Thanks for that

It is a south facing garden so does get the sun but there is also a bit of shade along the fencing. Would I be better off moving them so they get even more sunlight? Also should I trim the dead stems now or wait until they flower again and trim them after that?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 28,424 ✭✭✭✭looksee

The dead stems don't really matter at this stage, except for appearance reasons. Yes, give them sun, but tbh they look fine, apart from the one that is a bit leggy, and that just needs a bit of trimming.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

looksee wrote: »
    The dead stems don't really matter at this stage, except for appearance reasons. Yes, give them sun, but tbh they look fine, apart from the one that is a bit leggy, and that just needs a bit of trimming.
    If they get leggy dispose of and replace with new.

Advertisement