Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giro D'Italia Stage 11: Perugia to Montalcino (162km)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

retalivity wrote: »
    That the Anna Van Der Breggen shot?

Yep, you can imagine the pilots/cameramen looking for similar now any time they're in countryside like that.

Ciccone gone :eek:

Remco really bleeding time now too :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

EF have been so gooooooood today

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Poor Remco in a world of hurt.
    Only Yates left as a genuine contender to Bernal I feel.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

That's the GC over for Remco, he'll lose more than 3 minutes

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Almeida up the road there again away from Remco.

EDIT: He's back with him again. Is this inexperience there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

Almeida up the road there again away from Remco.

EDIT: He's back with him again. Is this inexperience there?

Don't know which of the two will be getting the hairdryer treatment down the phone form Lefevre this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭AxleAddict

Bernal lighting the afterburners again...

I hardly know who won the stage

• Registered Users Posts: 13,423 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

It was weird how Soler, Ciccone, and Carthy all attacked separately but they ended up going into the red and subsequently got dropped!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

It was weird how Soler, Ciccone, and Carthy all attacked separately but they ended up going into the red and subsequently got dropped!

So so weird. Like within 5-10 seconds of their attack they were dust

• Advertisement

Dan Martin down to 18th overall at 7'06"

Dodge wrote: »
    So so weird. Like within 5-10 seconds of their attack they were dust

I didn’t find it weird. They didn’t blow, Bernal attacked and blew them away.

He’s an absolute beast on the gravel

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Paddigol

Bit of a disaster for Dan to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,423 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Dan Martin down to 18th overall at 7'06"

In terms of stage positions, Formolo and Dan finished 39th and 40th respectively, which was just behind Bilbao, Hindley and Kangert who were all in the Bernal group during the final gravel sector at least. So it shows that Formolo and Dan kept on chasing, even if it was a lost cause.

Dan could try the breakaway

mayeb nice to win on the Zoncolon ???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Paddigol

MPFGLB wrote: »
    Dan could try the breakaway

mayeb nice to win on the Zoncolon ???

Has he lost enough time? Will those in/ around 10 on GC be happy to allow him back up the GC with a breakaway effort? Might need to take it handy on another stage and ship more time to be allowed in a break

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

https://twitter.com/The42_ie/status/1395048380276019223?s=19

No wonder he lost 6 minutes if hes off doing a race that doesn't start for a few weeks

Dan is 7 minutes behind bernal...that is enough time to go in breakawy

And goo thing Ineos wont chase but just keep it in check

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Brian? wrote: »

No doubt Bernal would’ve blown them away but their attacks were before his and ended very, very quickly

Vlasov countered Carthy and Bernal followed him, then went flying

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭DonegalBay

Fantastic stage, too often these hyped stages failed to deliver, but it most definitely did today. I think these lumpy stages often provide better racing and bigger time gaps than mountain stages which can be very processional at times. Sad to see Dan lose big time, but I think he was badly positioned at the start of the first gravel section which is a basic mistake, whether down to himself or his team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Brian? wrote: »

This.

He stuck with Alaphilippe and MVDP in Strade Bianchi and was brilliant again on the gravel the other day. I like Remco but it's great to see Bernal really back on his game.

Daroxtar wrote: »
    This.

He stuck with Alaphilippe and MVDP in Strade Bianchi and was brilliant again on the gravel the other day. I like Remco but it's great to see Bernal really back on his game.

But it's not just his gravel game. For a 60kg climber to have the power to stick with Ganna on the flat/downhill was also impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

Didn’t see today’s stage, but there comes a time when you have to stop saying bad luck when Dan misses a split or an attack. It happens in nearly every race these days. If he wants to have GC aspirations he needs to be on the wheel of the top GC guys at all times. Even more so when he has no team capable of helping him out.

It’s beyond frustrating at this stage

Boscoirl wrote: »
    Didn’t see today’s stage, but there comes a time when you have to stop saying bad luck when Dan misses a split or an attack. It happens in nearly every race these days. If he wants to have GC aspirations he needs to be on the wheel of the top GC guys at all times. Even more so when he has no team capable of helping him out.

Said it before here that he's not been 100% right despite his age since the crash with Porte at the Tour that time. Pure madness to have finished the Tour that year and people question Bernal's back.

You're frustrated? Imagine how Dan feels.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

Nice piece in CN from Ed Pickering on yesterday stage: The Art of War

....hyperbolic perhaps, but still a good read

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

I saw a quote from Dan (which I can't find now) where he basically he said he wasn't fully switched on approaching the dirt roads and was really badly positioned as a result. I think he'd have lost time yesterday anyway but that's a pretty surprising admission.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭mirrormatrix

I saw a quote from Dan (which I can't find now) where he basically he said he wasn't fully switched on approaching the dirt roads and was really badly positioned as a result. I think he'd have lost time yesterday anyway but that's a pretty surprising admission.

https://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news/dan-martin-explains-what-happened-to-him-when-giro-stage-11-hit-gravel-sections/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I read it here
    “Personally, I was a bit too relaxed,” Dan Martin said of that part of the stage approaching, and into, the first gravel sections. “Everyone was battling for positions; I got a few pushes and lost my head for a while.
    I don't know, Dan is one of my favourite (ever) riders, but seriously how many times has his positioning let him down over his career?

Having said that, I'm all in favour of gravel and pavé in Grand Tours, but opening with a technical descent?

• Advertisement

Eurosport had an interview there in the stage 12 build up with Dan from after the stage yesterday and he basically said he didn't want to take the risk it wasn't worth crashing, rode his own pace, his licence is for road cycling.

Advertisement