Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does my NAS need to be close to my PC?

Options
  • 19-05-2021 10:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭

Sorry if this is a daft question but can't find an answer. I'm buying a NAS ... my modem/router is in my hall and I don't want to attach the NAS there ... I'm going to run an ethernet cable through the wall into the utility for the NAS ...

question is ... do I need to try and get that ethernet cable upstairs into my office and place the NAS there or does it matter? ... is my PC just linking with the router anyway and it doesn't matter where the NAS is once it's connected?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bennyineire

Myksyk wrote: »
    Sorry if this is a daft question but can't find an answer. I'm buying a NAS ... my modem/router is in my hall and I don't want to attach the NAS there ... I'm going to run an ethernet cable through the wall into the utility for the NAS ...

question is ... do I need to try and get that ethernet cable upstairs into my office and place the NAS there or does it matter? ... is my PC just linking with the router anyway and it doesn't matter where the NAS is once it's connected?

You can put it anywhere in your house as long as it has a connection with you your router. LAN cables are usually good for 100 metres, I'm gonna assume your house will suffice :D

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭purpleisafruit

As long as the NAS is accessible over the network, it can be anywhere.
    My NAS runs a plex server and I've used it to access content whilst in the US for work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

I would say when you are first setting up your NAS then a consideration will be how much data you have to transfer across and the best way to maximise the transfer speed and minimise the time spent. Thereafter it can be moved to anywhere on your network. It would be worthwhile reading up on its manual and also knowing what network cards/speeds you have on your pc/router etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭Myksyk

Thanks guys ... appreciate the information. I thought as much but needed to clarify.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,749 ✭✭✭✭banie01

As others have said anywhere it has a LAN/wlan connection is good.
    I have mine out in a shed away from my house.

• Advertisement

Just as an aside ... is it usually worth considering getting an ethernet cable to my pc? (I have an electrician coming for a few jobs) ... I have a very steady 140mbps over wifi at the moment out of the 150 I subscribe for, but may be upgrading that to 300 soon.

You can put it anywhere in your house as long as it has a connection with you your router. LAN cables are usually good for 100 metres, I'm gonna assume your house will suffice :D

Only just ..... ; )

Rbcaa3fdcb17d724d952a71296cd195af?rik=9AHIUTvNuL4DGg&riu=http%3a%2f%2fwww.crismatec.com%2fpython%2fni%2fla-homes-with-big-backyards-for-summer-entertaining_home-elements-and-style-701x451.jpg&ehk=diwQJNLUgfTnrCuat5fR2YpjSWarpTg60lHe0fq%2bVSc%3d&risl=&pid=ImgRaw

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Just as an aside ... is it usually worth considering getting an ethernet cable to my pc? (I have an electrician coming for a few jobs) ... I have a very steady 140mbps over wifi at the moment out of the 150 I subscribe for, but may be upgrading that to 300 soon.

Wire your PC if possible. Wire as many devices as possible. Every device on wifi competes for bandwidth which is much less reliable than wired.

You may be getting 140Mbps over wifi but you can get up to 1000Mbps wired, with the right hardware and if your router supports it. That extra speed will significantly speed up data transfers between PC and NAS.

If you have a Smart TV, maybe wire that too. Having a NAS, there is a high chance you will use it as a media center soon. You want as much of that data going over a wired connection as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Only just ..... ; )
    I REALLY would prefer if you don't publish pictures of my home online!!!

Advertisement