Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dormant account in ulster bank

• 19-05-2021 12:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭

I have a current account in Ulster bank. Whixh is dormant for 3 yeqrs, as I work abroad. Due to covid, I am not able to come to Ireland.
    Is there any way, I can get it reactivated? Or do I have to visit the branch in Ireland.
    I heard Ulster is closing down its operations in the country as well.

Thanks for advice.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,479 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I'm pretty sure that the procedure for reactivating a dormant account varies from bank to bank. Typically, it will involve you resubmitting one or more forms of identification and then carrying out a transaction on the account.

You need to ask UB what they require you to do to unlock the account.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

coylemj wrote: »
    ...You need to ask UB what they require you to do to unlock the account.

Precisely. It puzzles me why people would ask that type of question here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

leom wrote: »
    I have a current account in Ulster bank. Whixh is dormant for 3 yeqrs, as I work abroad. Due to covid, I am not able to come to Ireland.
    Is there any way, I can get it reactivated? Or do I have to visit the branch in Ireland.
    I heard Ulster is closing down its operations in the country as well.

Thanks for advice.
    All the indications are that UB will remain operational for quite some time yet (see below). I've reactivated a number of dormant accounts this year in other Irish banks and the procedure varies from one bank to another. None of them required a branch visit, but did require documentation to be posted. Contact UB and ask them what they need using the normal support channels.

From the UB website:
    You may have heard we plan to begin a phased withdrawal from Ulster Bank’s Republic of Ireland business over the coming years. There will be no immediate changes for customers and we anticipate that our withdrawal will take a number of years to allow a smooth transition.

Advertisement