Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

E3 2021 thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,352 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

murpho999 wrote: »
    They are making money from it.

They are rumoured have 23 million subsctibers now.

I know it varies by country and there's currency issues but lets say they get €12 a month this totals €276m a month or €3.3bn a year in revenues from Gamepass.

Then through Gamepass they get more people playing games and buying in game purchases or buying the game outright.

MS make a lot of money from it and so do the developers.

It's growing too so numbers will only go up as MS push the service on multiple platforms.

Just for clarity, Game Pass does makes a fair bit of revenue, but not yet a profit. That's from their latest earnings report.

In terms of what it means to MS though, and other public companies on the stock market, recurring revenues (i.e. subscribers/subscription services) are "worth more" than one off products. In other words, $100 million in Game Pass revenues has more impact on the stock price than €100 million from selling games. That's what MS is aiming for when it comes to growing Game Pass.

The stock market is weird.

Really enjoyed the Xbox show and a lot to look forward to on Gamepass over the next few months. Thought the game at the end of the show was disappointing though. Didn't like the look of it at all.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,352 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

MS also have Xcloud and looking towards streaming to other devices, thats a lot of potential players who might not want to drop money on a console but would subscribe to a streaming service.

I'm not convicted it's there yet though from the few hours I've played of it.

Yeah, it's grand for mobile, in particular on Android, but moving to bigger screens really shows the One S behind the screens.

Good news though, is that the Series X upgrade to the server blades is starting to roll out, should go live in the US soon, and they're pretty good at rolling stuff like that worldwide these days. That's going to make a massive difference in terms of loading times, Res, and framerate.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭earthwormjack

How did you get that?

I followed the guide that CatInABox posted above and got my codes on sale at eneba.com. They aren't on sale at the minute though.

CatInABox wrote: »
    Just for clarity, Game Pass does makes a fair bit of revenue, but not yet a profit. That's from their latest earnings report.

In terms of what it means to MS though, and other public companies on the stock market, recurring revenues (i.e. subscribers/subscription services) are "worth more" than one off products. In other words, $100 million in Game Pass revenues has more impact on the stock price than €100 million from selling games. That's what MS is aiming for when it comes to growing Game Pass.

I suppose GamePass is seen more as a captive audience of sorts. A lot can be done with that. It's a customer base that can be managed and maximised for profit, if done correctly.

It's like Netflix Vs a maker of DVDs. I'd rather have Netflix.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

skerry wrote: »
    Redfall looks awesome
    When does it release in cinemas? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 29,841 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

The GoG game is a strange one. Looks like it would fit right in as an expansion for the avengers game, looks generic as shyte.

Speaking of shyte, the black panther expansion that Square enix are leaning on looks like it will add nothing to elevate the game. It's weird looking at the road map for that thinking 'meh', such a disappointing game.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    The GoG game is a strange one. Looks like it would fit right in as an expansion for the avengers game, looks generic as shyte.

Speaking of shyte, the black panther expansion that Square enix are leaning on looks like it will add nothing to elevate the game. It's weird looking at the road map for that thinking 'meh', such a disappointing game.

The trailer was great but the gameplay looks meh.

They missed a trick by not making the combat ff7-r like with character swapping.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,004 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

BloodBath wrote: »
    The trailer was great but the gameplay looks meh.

They missed a trick by not making the combat ff7-r like with character swapping.

Yeah that would have made way more sense, you'd still have it as a single-player game but with more variety. The way you select attacks for the other characters looked weird too

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,476 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

CatInABox wrote: »

I can't find any financial report where MS show their revenues and profits from GamePass but the gaming division has show growth as shown below.
    Xbox content and services revenue increased 34% (up 32% in constant currency)
    Link

So if you can send me a link I'd appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,917 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

PC Gaming show up now, and then the Future Games Show at midnight. Gonna need a lie on tomorrow...

PC Gaming show off to a great start with no sound.

Edit: Actually now that the sound is back, I wish it wasn't. Cringe overload.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Mr Crispy wrote: »
    If that was in response to me, I meant interesting in that we (maybe) have yet another 4 player co-op shooter on the way. It's quickly becoming an over-saturated genre.

not at all, sorry if it came across like that, just my own view on cgi announcement trailers

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

You wouldn't know it to look at her, but host mica Burton is the daughter of 'geordie leforge' himself star trek actor levar Burton.

You wouldn't know it to look at her, but host mica Burton is the daughter of 'geordie leforge' himself star trek actor levar Burton.

Explains how they had access to a transporter.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Arcadeheroes

The Final Fantasy Origin Trial demo is on playstation 5 now to download if anyone is interested.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I know a lot of people don't like Fallout 4 because it's a diluted RPG but to me Bethesda took everything I didn't like about Fallout 3 out while adding lots of fun elements (before ruining them in Fallout 76 e.g. the base building) . I've yet to hear it be described as awful though, merely disappointing. I'm intrigued to hear why you're not keen on it, Johnny. Any particular thing?

It’s just a game where the more I played the more I got frustrated how little progress Bethesda’s own games had made since Elder Scrolls Oblivion. The endless jank... the crappy combat... the awkward animations and character work... the dodgy writing. It was a game where I’d play an hour and enjoy some casual exploration, and then two joyless hours of tedium and bad quests. As I played it drifted into the latter territory more often than not, and stuff like base building was of no real interest to me. And there was little in the way of spark or zip to the writing or world-building - I haven’t played New Vegas (keep meaning to) but I’ve heard at least that the more colourful world-building carries that game past the usual Bethesda engine jank.

Oh Orcs Must Die, how I've missed thee.

• Advertisement

Sam Barlow's "redacted" project was revealed (kinda) at the end of Future Games' presentation.

I'm getting Telling Lies this week so interested to see Sam's work in action.

My friend interviewed him a while back about his work. There are 2 parts and the 2nd part has him giving some info about 'Project A' which became Immortality, at 1:09:00. Says this is the same leap in detective story telling as Telling Lies was from Her Story. Says will have a horror twist as well.

Clutching at straws.

"Fans are convinced the Starfield trailer reveals The Elder Scrolls 6 location" - PC Gamer

I missed this yesterday, but apparently there's a follow-up XB showcase on Thursday. 18:00 our time (I think).

https://twitter.com/vicious696/status/1404147033875705858?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 2,444 ✭✭✭recyclops

Hopefully Ninja Theory talk about Senua as its gone very quiet on that front

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'd say it's like Nintendo treehouse where they show more of the gameplay and interview the developers with a few surprises.

A few more acquisitions and Gamepass on more devices is my guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Guess all that's remaining of note worthy is Capcom later on tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

The Final Fantasy Origin Trial demo is on playstation 5 now to download if anyone is interested.

People saying online, the demo is broken, so wait to download.

• Advertisement
Advertisement