Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

E3 2021 thread

Options

Comments

murpho999 wrote: »
    PS being making games exclusive for years and nobody expects apologies from them.

Total double standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,476 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    A lot of angry fanboys and influencers out there bad mouthing them and giving them bad publicity is why.

Yes, also ignoring the fact that 27 games out of 30 shown last Sunday will launch on Gamepass whilst Playstation makes customers pay €60-70 for new games.

A lot of angry fanboys and influencers out there bad mouthing them and giving them bad publicity is why.

I don't think Bethesda give a ****. They have the Xbox console, xCloud and PC market to sell to. PlayStation is just a fraction of all of this.

PlayStation fans can cry a river.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,097 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Yes, also ignoring the fact that 27 games out of 30 shown last Sunday will launch on Gamepass whilst Playstation makes customers pay €60-70 for new games.

€80 foam new game on PS5.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,737 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I don't get the negativity about this by some posters.

Why would Bethesda have to apologise to PS gamers for MS, their owners logically making their new games exclusive.

PS being making games exclusive for years and nobody expects apologies from them.

I think part of the issue is that the Bethesda games pretty much always came out on PlayStation, and if MS hadn't bought them they still would have came out on PlayStation (Including Starfield). Sony buy or partner with small studios and help them create new IPs to be PS exclusives (such as with the new Deviation Studio). Sonys exclusives largely come from studios they've built up themselves over the years, and creating new IPs for Sony.

MS didn't pay to have Bethesda develop new exclusives just for them. They outright bought Bethesda in order to not have the likes of Fallout, Starfield etc on PS, as those games definitely would have been on PS otherwise. Plus the exclusivity of those tentpole games really helps shore up Gamepass which is MS's main focus.

That said, I don't think any apology for that is required or should be sought. It's business. When business decisions like that are made, it's great for some consumers, and others will lose out. I much prefer the model of making their own exclusives rather than buying exclusives (and Sony can be equally sh*tty in that regard to when it comes to exclusive DLC and the likes), but it is what it is, and Sony fans shouldn't be complaining about Starfield not coming to PS, they should be focusing on complaining to Sony about not having a proper Gamepass competitor.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Sony did the same with naughty dog and insomnia. There's no difference except Bethesda are far more established than those two studios were when bought so Sony fans know they are missing out of some big games and franchises. Elder scrolls and fallout are big series to be losing. And for me arkane and Id tech are bigger.

Insomnia and naughty dog only really came into their own after exclusivity although insomnia were third party and rarely did games outside of the PlayStation

Sony did the same with naughty dog and insomnia. There's no difference except Bethesda are far more established than those two studios were when bought so Sony fans know they are missing out of some big games and franchises. Elder scrolls and fallout are big series to be losing. And for me arkane and Id tech are bigger.

Insomnia and naughty dog only really came into their own after exclusivity although insomnia were third party and rarely did games outside of the PlayStation

Right but that's what I mean, Naughty Dog and Insomniac, even before becoming first party studios, almost entirely made Playstation exclusives, and it was that relationship that helped them develop new exclusive PS franchises that were never going to be coming to Xbox anyway.

If Microsoft hadn't bought Bethesda, new Fallout/Elder Scrolls/Starfield would still have been made. They still would have come out on Xbox anyway, but they also would have come out on Playstation. Same with the likes of Doom and Dishonoured games. Games that would have been multiplatform and where previous games in those series' were multiplatform now are exclusives, as opposed to Naughty Dog and Insomniac who create new exclusive IPs solely for Sony.

Microsoft could have paid Bethesda to have those games on Gamepass and to develop new exclusives for them (such as Redfall) for a fraction of the price. Instead, they buy the studio to take those established franchises away from Playstation.

I think it's better when MS/Sony pay/buy studios to create new exclusives, rather than buying exclusivity of existing established multiplatform franchises. I think when MS bought the likes of Ninja Theory, Double Fine and even Obsidian, I think those were great moves, and those studios largely making new exclusive games for newer franchises is great. Sony bought timed exclusivity for Deathloop, Microsoft bought the whole head games company.

I just think buying Bethesda in large part to get exclusivity of some of the biggest game franchises which would have been made and have previously been multiplatform (and would have continued to be multiplatform), too many consumers lose out. I'd be saying the same if Sony bought Bethesda (because really, I don't have any fondness for Fallout/ElderScrolls and probably not Starfield anyway so it largely doesn't affect me at all). Like you say, the biggest thing I'd miss on Playstation are Arkane who I think are showing incredible potential, and Redfall looks great.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,841 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Pete doesn't need to apologise, Todd doesn't need to justify it, it's just business. Playstation has kicked Xbox's arse for the last few years and they became lazy and complacent "We don't allow cross play to protect our gamers", "Our users don't want the likes of EA Play" and so on. PS Now is so far below Gamepass and I think the only way it catches up is if Sony combine PS Now and PS Plus.

The only game I'll miss from the acquisitions so far is the next Fallout and by the time that comes out, I'll either have an Xbox or will be able to play Gamepass on my telly so it's not a big deal.

Just no more acquisitions please before they take something I really love.

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Pete doesn't need to apologise, Todd doesn't need to justify it, it's just business. Playstation has kicked Xbox's arse for the last few years and they became lazy and complacent "We don't allow cross play to protect our gamers", "Our users don't want the likes of EA Play" and so on. PS Now is so far below Gamepass and I think the only way it catches up is if Sony combine PS Now and PS Plus.

The only game I'll miss from the acquisitions so far is the next Fallout and by the time that comes out, I'll either have an Xbox or will be able to play Gamepass on my telly so it's not a big deal.

Yeah I'm waiting for the next big Sony conference, and if they don't announce a big bump to PS Now to make it in some way comparable to Gamepass, I'm either getting an Xbox as a secondary console or might build a new PC and use Gamepass through it.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,879 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

A high quality, serious, overview of the E3 info.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

whatever about the whole bethesda buyout thing. One would hope that having the financing and resources of Microsoft at their disposal, would lead to the the fallout / elderscrolls etc tech games releasing in a less bug ridden state.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

whatever about the whole bethesda buyout thing. One would hope that having the financing and resources of Microsoft at their disposal, would lead to the the fallout / elderscrolls etc tech games releasing in a less bug ridden state.

Has it not been more their ardent dedication to using the Gamebryo engine for so long as opposed to a financial reason.

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    Has it not been more their ardent dedication to using the Gamebryo engine for so long as opposed to a financial reason.

I don't remember where I read this, but I think BGS stick with their engine because if they switched to Unreal or whatever the games might lose that "Bethesda feel".

I know there's a lot of people who hate BGS and their games, but they have millions of fans so I can see why they're reluctant to make a revolutionary step.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

They are using a new engine for Starfield now so I'd imagine that will be used for all games going forward from Bethesda.

DeSelby83 wrote: »
    They are using a new engine for Starfield now so I'd imagine that will be used for all games going forward from Bethesda.

True, but the Creation Engine 2 is just an evolution of Creation Engine which is an evolution of Gamebryo.

That's the point I'm making above, they like to make changes in baby steps, not huge leaps.

Still, the Starfield footage did look nice so I'm hopeful without getting too hyped.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

They used a new engine for fallout 4 apparently but it was nonsense. Its the same with call of duty. They tout that they are using an engine totally different from the quake 3 arena tech that powered the oldest games but they are just building upon a base and changing the renderer. In each case there's still a bang of the old tech off them as they are still using the same collision logic and physics model which is the base of every game. It feels the same.

Moving to a new engine would mean they would have to start from scratch but with how buggy their branch of game bryo is (this is totally on Bethesda as game bryo is a fine engine and used to make some very solid games) it's so broken you are building upon a broken base.

Outer worlds moved to unreal and it felt very Bethesda to me. It's bad management not moving to a better code base.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,960 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

I hope Microsoft will acquire Bandai Namco so Ace Combat 8 and beyond will be Xbox and game pass exclusives ;)

This isnt exclusive to Microsoft. Nintendo pretty much killed the vita in Japan by money hatting monster hunter.

Also get a pc, not a Xbox. Much more exclusives than the any of the consoles are better backward compatibility.

This isnt exclusive to Microsoft. Nintendo pretty much killed the vita in Japan by money hatting monster hunter.

Also get a pc, not a Xbox. Much more exclusives than the any of the consoles are better backward compatibility.

PC gaming is something I have to consider returning to. I do miss it sometimes.

Jordan 199 wrote: »
    I hope Microsoft will acquire Bandai Namco so Ace Combat 8 and beyond will be Xbox and game pass exclusives ;)

They can have that one :pac:

• Advertisement

I was kinda thinking that would be your reply :D

You're like school in July.

No class.

PC gaming is something I have to consider returning to. I do miss it sometimes.

After my ordeal getting a gpu.... Get a console.

I was kinda thinking that would be your reply :D

Saying that, PS Now has become tempting as it has Xcom 1 which I want to play so when I do eventually resubscribe, I'll give Ace Combat 7 a go and report back here with my review.

Prediction...

22137ed7c67b02f33d25e4761a67e5c7_w200.gif

Saying that, PS Now has become tempting as it has Xcom 1 which I want to play so when I do eventually resubscribe, I'll give Ace Combat 7 a go and report back here with my review.

Prediction...

I predict an apology.

I'll be waiting.

Just play it with the complex controls. It's a much better game.

Prediction...

On the plus side, if you end up liking Ace Combat you'll definitely live up to your name of Zero-Cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

It's simple. You wanna play Bethesda games? Buy a series X.
    The entitlement from some Sony Ponies is unreal.
    X Box users have gone years being deprived of franchises like Uncharted, TLOU, GOW etc.
    The Sony stans will live.

Why would I buy a series X when I can play it on Pc?

You fanboys are a strange bunch.

Why would I buy a series X when I can play it on Pc?

You fan boys are a strange bunch.

I think he just meant as a console v console thing (eg. direct competitors) rather than fanboying for one console.

I predict an apology.

I'll be waiting.

Just play it with the complex controls. It's a much better game.
    Penn wrote: »
    On the plus side, if you end up liking Ace Combat you'll definitely live up to your name of Zero-Cool.

Yeah, there's no way back from this, I'm just gonna have to hate it, even if I end up loving it and get the platinum, **** out of 10, nil points.

Speaking of flying games actually, the MS Flight Simulator game coming to consoles, that's a bizarre game to me as it looks so boring. I mean, the backgrounds are class and it is actually cool taking off from an airport and landing in another but the flight itself has to be fairly boring?

• Advertisement
Advertisement