Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

E3 2021 thread

Options

Comments

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    They used a new engine for fallout 4 apparently but it was nonsense. Its the same with call of duty. They tout that they are using an engine totally different from the quake 3 arena tech that powered the oldest games but they are just building upon a base and changing the renderer. In each case there's still a bang of the old tech off them as they are still using the same collision logic and physics model which is the base of every game. It feels the same.

Moving to a new engine would mean they would have to start from scratch but with how buggy their branch of game bryo is (this is totally on Bethesda as game bryo is a fine engine and used to make some very solid games) it's so broken you are building upon a broken base.

Outer worlds moved to unreal and it felt very Bethesda to me. It's bad management not moving to a better code base.

What if they moved to Unreal and it was a disaster? Like I said, I think Bethesda are risk averse. They prefer to stick to what they know.

CDPR attempted a giant leap (engine upgrade and game scope) and look at what happened there. It just goes from bad to worse for them.

I think BGS just want to play it safe. If people hate them for it, then no one is forcing you to play their games.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,444 ✭✭✭recyclops

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Yeah, there's no way back from this, I'm just gonna have to hate it, even if I end up loving it and get the platinum, **** out of 10, nil points.

Speaking of flying games actually, the MS Flight Simulator game coming to consoles, that's a bizarre game to me as it looks so boring. I mean, the backgrounds are class and it is actually cool taking off from an airport and landing in another but the flight itself has to be fairly boring?

pretty much a glorified tech demo on the console in my eyes, hence why majority will boot it up on gamepass see how pretty it looks flute about for a bit then never play it again.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I've actually been casually checking to see if Series Xs are available yet over the past week, mostly because I've been playing a few games on Game Pass PC (Yakuza Like A Dragon most recently) but just don't like spending another two hours at my desk after a full day of work!

Sadly they are not available :/

• Registered Users Posts: 33,737 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I've actually been casually checking to see if Series Xs are available yet over the past week, mostly because I've been playing a few games on Game Pass PC (Yakuza Like A Dragon most recently) but just don't like spending another two hours at my desk after a full day of work!

Yeah that's where I'm at too. A PC makes sense in some respects, but I'd have to have it in my home office and sit at the desk playing. Whereas if I got a Series X I could have it in the sitting room, and use the disk drive for blurays and stuff since my PS5 is a digital one. I had been thinking of a Series S, but then no disk drive, and less storage which with Gamepass I'd be mostly downloading, and extra storage drives it closer to the price of a Series X anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

The Series X are in stock in Smyths right now and were yesterday too

https://www.smythstoys.com/ie/en-ie/video-games-and-tablets/xbox-gaming/xbox-series-x-%7c-s/xbox-series-x-%7c-s-consoles/xbox-series-x-1tb-console/p/192012

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,960 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Speaking of flying games actually, the MS Flight Simulator game coming to consoles, that's a bizarre game to me as it looks so boring. I mean, the backgrounds are class and it is actually cool taking off from an airport and landing in another but the flight itself has to be fairly boring?

When I played Flight Sim back in the day, I would mostly take short flights around scenic areas and big cities. I think the longest flight I took was Los Angeles to Honolulu in an Airbus.

Seeing the game at the Microsoft showcase last Sunday made me feel all nostalgic as I used to play it a lot, purchased many editions of it, scenery expansions etc so I'm dying to play it again.

Yeah, there's no way back from this, I'm just gonna have to hate it, even if I end up loving it and get the platinum, **** out of 10, nil points.

People seem to enjoy trucking simulators, etc. Each to their own.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

People enjoy driving but can't afford a Zonda. People enjoy planes but can't afford a Cessna.

Although they really should be playing a game where you can fly a f14 tomcat with 96 sidewinders and an ion laser in the fuselage.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    People enjoy driving but can't afford a Zonda. People enjoy planes but can't afford a Cessna.

Although they really should be playing a game where you can fly a f14 tomcat with 96 sidewinders and an ion laser in the fuselage.

There is a top gun themed expansion coming to MS flight sim to tie in with the new movie. No idea if there's actual combat or just military jets.

Can't imagine modern jet fighting to be too much fun anyway. Not in sim form at least.

I've basically given up on PC because I'm at my desk all day long. I look forward to moving to the couch for some gaming at the end of the day. Besides that, Series X is a fantastic machine and I've it hooked up to a large TV and atmos speakers. There's just no going back to sitting at a desk now. I'm also ambidextrous when it comes to KBM versus controller. I can compete with PC players in COD no problem.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

I can't imagine Flight Sim will do gang busters on Xbox but it might open a door to a potential new player base.

Technically its outstanding if demanding, with a strong claim on being the most looking game/sim yet made.

I'd pay good money for a Crimson Skies game in the MS Flight Sim engine.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Na, you can make your family and friends sit around as pretend passengers and give them periodic announcements about where you are virtually flying over, weather conditions etc as well as sell them some scratch cards. Uber exciting stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

I think that in your haste to get the PC master race flex in you made too many wild assumptions. Playstation has been my primary console for the last 7 years now... My point is that it doesn't make much sense to complain about console exclusivity when the main reason for even buying a particular console is for the games. (I don't care what the tech nerds say - specs are often minimal and the software and hardware differences between consoles are also minimal.) Therefore, if you want to play a particular set of games buy the console/PC where you can do this. It's not that complicated.

Yeah my bad, I did assume incorrectly but you're guilty of it now too, I didn't mention anything about PC master race and I never have. I just pointed out that I could play those games on PC too as your post implied that you needed an xbox to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,917 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Still a month away (exactly), but EA have set the time for their Play Livestream. The preshow is at 18:00 our time.

https://twitter.com/EA/status/1407382881538818050?s=20

Deserving of a big fat meh, but we might as well include it seeing as we've come this far. The Annapurna showcase this day week will be far more interesting I'd bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,841 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Gimme NBA Live and UFC 5 and the rest can feck off. Oooohhh I wasn't aware of an Annapurna showcase next week!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,004 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

EA play main show starting in one minute. There was a 15 min pre -show

I liked the look of Lost in Random. Everything else, not so much.

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Fair play to Geoff for carving out a successful niche for himself - I certainly don't begrudge his apparent success. But I mean the man's entire job now is basically just to present a bunch of ads (and they are just ads) as 'news' two or three times a year! These showcases are sadly the sort of glossy, corporate affairs gaming needs less of.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,004 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Man the Xbox stream is boring, the Age of empires segment was useless and now the stream is after going dark

Only saw the first bit of it, but scanning the headlines since and it looks like it was a non-event?

I guess they blew their load on the avalanche of GamePass exclusives a few weeks back.

I'm wondering if they've saved Halo news for ONL tomorrow?

Advertisement