Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Termination Notice Period - 1 year lease

Options
  • 19-05-2021 2:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭

I signed 12 month lease from 20/8/20, to 1/9/21.

I'm having trouble understanding tenant notice period at https://www.rtb.ie/ending-a-tenancy/sample-notices-of-termination .

Am I correct that 1+ year, but less than two years is the applicable tenancy duration?

As an aside, I'm sure I'm leaving so is it good form to inform landlord before period is up? Aforementioned assumption would be my notice date is 9/7/21.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

FionnK86 wrote: »
    I signed 12 month lease from 20/8/20, to 1/9/21.

I'm having trouble understanding tenant notice period at https://www.rtb.ie/ending-a-tenancy/sample-notices-of-termination .

Am I correct that 1+ year, but less than two years is the applicable tenancy duration?

As an aside, I'm sure I'm leaving so is it good form to inform landlord before period is up? Aforementioned assumption would be my notice date is 9/7/21.

You haven't reached the end of the lease yet. When are you planning to move out?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭FionnK86

You haven't reached the end of the lease yet. When are you planning to move out?

I plan on moving out as soon as lease expires.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Roski707

You have to give 35 days as you are in the property less than a year. So you give your notice starting 27th August and it will expire on 1st september when your lease expires

I plan on moving out as soon as lease expires.

You don't have to give any notice at all. You would only have to give notice if you intended staying on.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

You don't have to give any notice at all. You would only have to give notice if you intended staying on.

Ignore the above op.

6-12 months tenancy duration is 35 days. If you have a 12 month lease, give notice 35 days before end date of term.

https://www.rtb.ie/ending-a-tenancy/notice-periods-that-a-landlord-should-give

• Advertisement

Dav010 wrote: »
    Ignore the above op.

6-12 months tenancy duration is 35 days. If you have a 12 month lease, give notice 35 days before end date of term.

https://www.rtb.ie/ending-a-tenancy/notice-periods-that-a-landlord-should-give

Ignore the above o/p

Residential Tenancies Act.
    195.—(1) In this section “relevant dwelling” means a dwelling, the subject of a tenancy that is for a fixed period of at least 6 months.

(2) The tenant of a relevant dwelling, if he or she intends to remain (on whatever basis, if any, that is open to him or her to do so) in occupation of the dwelling after the expiry of the period of the tenancy concerned, shall notify the landlord of that intention.

(3) That notification shall not be made to the landlord—

( a) any later than 1 month before, nor

( b) any sooner than 3 months before,

the expiry of the period of that tenancy.

(4) If a tenant fails to comply with subsection (2) and the landlord suffers loss or damage in consequence of that failure the landlord may make a complaint to the Board under Part 6 that he or she has suffered such loss or damage.

(5) An adjudicator or the Tribunal, on the hearing of such a complaint, may make a determination, if the adjudicator or the Tribunal considers it proper to do so, that the tenant shall pay to the complainant an amount by way of damages for that loss or damage.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2004/act/27/section/36/enacted/en/html#sec36

See Section 66, Table 2 for confirmation of applicable notice period.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2004/act/27/enacted/en/print#sec66

Assuming of course that the op is not living with the LL as he/she quoted the RTB in relation to tenancies.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Claw Hammer, quoting what a tenant needs to do
    if he or she intends to remain

is not relevant to someone that wishes to leave.

OP, standard notice periods apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Roski707 wrote: »
    You have to give 35 days as you are in the property less than a year. So you give your notice starting 27th August and it will expire on 1st september when your lease expires

that's not 35 days

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭FionnK86

Thanks lads, trying to wrap my head around above but it seems to be 35 days. I'm not living with LL.

What about my aside, if you were LL would you prefer to know sooner than the 35 days? Just worried that they'll start arranging viewings mad early and impacting my quality of life (also working from home) and I won't have much recourse as I'm on the way out the door anyway. Open to reasonable viewings within the month before we go of course. Have maintained house well (improved it even) and have good relationship with LL.

• Advertisement

Thanks lads, trying to wrap my head around above but it seems to be 35 days. I'm not living with LL.

What about my aside, if you were LL would you prefer to know sooner than the 35 days? Just worried that they'll start arranging viewings mad early and impacting my quality of life (also working from home) and I won't have much recourse as I'm on the way out the door anyway. Open to reasonable viewings within the month before we go of course. Have maintained house well (improved it even) and have good relationship with LL.

The statutory requirement is 35 days, so anything in excess of that is totally up to you. LL can’t impose viewings on you unless you have agreed to it. If you would like to leave earlier, give the required notice and see if LL will agree to shorter notice period.

Advertisement