Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pineapple log filling

Options
  • 19-05-2021 3:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭

Hi

I'm trying to make a pineapple log (not for me!!)

Has anyone a suggestion on how to make the filling as close to the Gateaux one as possible please?

I can't use fresh cream as two don't like cream.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

It’s a buttercream filling isn’t it? Presumably pineapple flavoured.

Haven’t had one in ages but now I want one!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭phormium

Need some artificial pineapple flavouring and a tub of pre made frosting and that will probably be as close as you can get. Impossible to replicate things like that with normal kitchen ingredients as they use high ratio shortening with lots of flavourings and additives that we don't have in domestic kitchens.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

It looks like they don't even have the decency to put a minuscule token amount of real pineapple in it!

https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/product/details/?id=266453845
    Milk Chocolate (26%) [Sugar, Full Cream Milk Powder, Cocoa Butter, Cocoa Mass, Vegetable Oils (Palm, Sal, Shea, Mango Kernel), Emulsifier (Soya Lecithin), Flavouring], Pineapple Flavoured Filling (23%) [Icing Sugar, Vegetable Oil (Palm Oil, Rapeseed Oil), Water, Invert Sugar Syrup, Modified Maize Starch, Emulsifier (Mono and Diglycerides of Fatty Acids), Flavouring, Colour (Lutein)], Fortified Wheat Flour (Wheat Flour, Calcium Carbonate, Iron, Nicotinamide, Vitamin B1), Water, Whole Egg, Invert Sugar Syrup, Dextrose, Humectant (Glycerine), Rice Flour, Skimmed Milk Powder, Raising Agents (Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate, Sodium Bicarbonate, Wheat Flour), Emulsifiers (Mono and Diglycerides of Fatty Acids, Polyglycerol Esters of Fatty Acids), Modified Maize Starch, Flavouring, Preservatives (Sorbic Acid, Calcium Propionate), Bread Soda, Soya Flour

You might be able to get pineapple flavouring from some cake supplier shop. I am not sure if juice can be boiled down to reduce water to make a more thick syrup.

Invert sugar syrup is pretty much golden syrup and modified maize starch is pretty much cornflour.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Where's Phormium?! I bet they have a recipe.

Also, need to make the sponge really flimsy too. And now I am also aflicted by the need to get a pineapple log.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

phormium wrote: »
    Need some artificial pineapple flavouring and a tub of pre made frosting and that will probably be as close as you can get. Impossible to replicate things like that with normal kitchen ingredients as they use high ratio shortening with lots of flavourings and additives that we don't have in domestic kitchens.
    Tree wrote: »
    Where's Phormium?! I bet they have a recipe.

^^

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭ellejay

I've made a fatless sponge which is very light, ready to assemble tomorrow.

I was thinking of an Italian Meringue buttercream and then layer with diced tinned pineapple - tinned seems to have a stronger taste.
    But I could be mixing that up with Swiss meringue butter cream.
    I did so much searching online they've all faded into one.

I haven't made either buttercream before but if it's awful I'll revert to just usual buttercream.
    My memory of pineapple log is the filling is light and kind of squidgey.

Reducing down the pineapple juice is a great idea, I'll pour that over the sponge.
    I won't get my hands on flavouring before I need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

ellejay wrote: »
    Hi

I'm trying to make a pineapple log (not for me!!)

Has anyone a suggestion on how to make the filling as close to the Gateaux one as possible please?

I can't use fresh cream as two don't like cream.

I don't know if this would work but when my sister in law makes cake for my brother - he doesn't like fresh cream so uses dream topping instead

messrs wrote: »
    I don't know if this would work but when my sister in law makes cake for my brother - he doesn't like fresh cream so uses dream topping instead

What is dream toping please?
    I haven't heard of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

I've made a fatless sponge which is very light, ready to assemble tomorrow.

I was thinking of an Italian Meringue buttercream and then layer with diced tinned pineapple - tinned seems to have a stronger taste.
    But I could be mixing that up with Swiss meringue butter cream.
    I did so much searching online they've all faded into one.

I haven't made either buttercream before but if it's awful I'll revert to just usual buttercream.
    My memory of pineapple log is the filling is light and kind of squidgey.

Reducing down the pineapple juice is a great idea, I'll pour that over the sponge.
    I won't get my hands on flavouring before I need it.

Swiss meringue buttercream would have been my suggestion and it’s easy to make. This was the recipe I used and it was foolproof. https://bakingamoment.com/swiss-meringue-buttercream/

I have been thinking about this far too much :D

• Advertisement

Swiss and Italian buttercream taste the same, just different method of making them. I find Swiss easier, I would consider the filling in a bought swiss roll more like a bog standard buttercream in that it's not totally smooth, has a bit of that gritty icing sugar type texture.

I love a pineapple swiss roll, the Gateaux ones, I don't actually like fresh pineapple, to me the cake tastes nothing like a real pineapple :) It's similar to banana flavoured stuff, doesn't taste at all like a fresh banana but a nice flavour nonetheless!

I used to make pineapple and coconut cupcakes (but they were not popular!) and for them I used a pineapple curd filling made from pineapple juice, it wasn't bad.

I bought petrol yday and there was a display of Gateaux swiss rolls on special offer, I feel a real urge now to go back to petrol station for a pineapple one, and maybe a chocolate one too!

Toulouse wrote: »
    Swiss meringue buttercream would have been my suggestion and it’s easy to make. This was the recipe I used and it was foolproof. https://bakingamoment.com/swiss-meringue-buttercream/

I have been thinking about this far too much :D

Oh thanks that's brilliant, looks like just the job.

phormium wrote: »
    Swiss and Italian buttercream taste the same, just different method of making them. I find Swiss easier, I would consider the filling in a bought swiss roll more like a bog standard buttercream in that it's not totally smooth, has a bit of that gritty icing sugar type texture.

I love a pineapple swiss roll, the Gateaux ones, I don't actually like fresh pineapple, to me the cake tastes nothing like a real pineapple :) It's similar to banana flavoured stuff, doesn't taste at all like a fresh banana but a nice flavour nonetheless!

I used to make pineapple and coconut cupcakes (but they were not popular!) and for them I used a pineapple curd filling made from pineapple juice, it wasn't bad.

I bought petrol yday and there was a display of Gateaux swiss rolls on special offer, I feel a real urge now to go back to petrol station for a pineapple one, and maybe a chocolate one too!

They're on special in Tesco, it'd kill me to buy one just to copy the taste!

I think you're right though, not very pineapple-ish.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Hah, my browser must have been hours behind when I posted.

Pineapple curd sounds unreal! Nothing like a gateux log but would be interested otherwise

Well I caved as I had to go to Tesco this evening and there the damn things were too!

I stand by my original assessment, it's a bog standard icing sugar/fat (commercial shortening of some sort) filling, definitely a bit on the gritty side unlike the meringue buttercreams.

As for the flavour it's obviously some artificial flavouring impersonating pineapple, mighty tasty though! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Kewreeuss

What is dream toping please?
    I haven't heard of it.

No, You don’t want to know. An abomination.

Ah, ok then, it’s a bit like Instant Whip.
    A powder you add milk to and beat til it thickens.
    Supposed to taste like cream but loaded with sugar/sweetener.
    Cream with sugar, yeeuuggghhh!

I did three layers of sponge.
    The Swiss meringue buttercream recipe posted by Toulouse and added yellow food gel.
    Added pineapple on the first two layers.
    Covered in chocolate ganache.

Wasn't mad about it myself.
    5 others dived on it and loved it, think it would have been much nicer with fresh cream or without the ganache.

The chocolate teaspoons were just a novelty thing for 2 kids, chocolate mould and melted Bourneville.
    They would have looked better standing up but I ran out of time.

IMG_0989.JPG
    48854F90-4F36-471D-BD64-6C89ACBC2ECF.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Who remembers this pineapple cake?

507418.png

Advertisement