Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

F1 2021 Round 5 : Monaco GP

15678911»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,648 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

If it's a combination of factors then the driver could easily be one of those factors. If the mechanic having to reposition the gun increases the chances of this kind of thing happening then of course it likely partly down to Bottas pulling up short of the spot. It doesn't mean it will happen every time they pull up short of the pit spot. It just means that pulling up short of the pit spot increases the chances of it happening as the mechanic has to reposition.

Toto didn't say it was any one individual's fault. He was pretty explicit about it being a combination of factors. From the article “So there are always things coming together. It’s never someone’s fault, it’s always multi-faceted."

https://www.planetf1.com/news/toto-wolff-valtteri-bottas-wheel-nut/

The headline in that article is awful, it's just written with the intention to make something out of nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

I mean surely if what Toto is saying is true, this would be happening every 2nd race? And as mentioned by El Duderino, if they are suggesting that it is down to a combination of factors, then it really has to ultimately come down to the manufacturing/engineering, not the driver?

The other 3 wheels at the same pit stop had no issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Nah. He's not blaming Bottas, he says it's no one person's fault.
    Totally blown out of proportion.

It's totally one person's fault, and that's the mechanic. Replay the video above again, each time watching that mechanic and the other three. None of them has to move the gun more than 1-2 cm, which is pretty much bang on the mark. The other three do a perfect stop, that one guy fcuked up but Toto doesn't want to single him out. I'm all for we win together, we loose together, but don't start blaming someone who was not at fault. He may as well blame the guys sitting back in Brackley too so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

It's totally one person's fault, and that's the mechanic. Replay the video above again, each time watching that mechanic and the other three. None of them has to move the gun more than 1-2 cm, which is pretty much bang on the mark. The other three do a perfect stop, that one guy fcuked up but Toto doesn't want to single him out. I'm all for we win together, we loose together, but don't start blaming someone who was not at fault. He may as well blame the guys sitting back in Brackley too so.

Well, if you're a pitstop expert, then I'll defer to you. Are you some kind of pitstop expert?

Look, none of us have a clue about it apart from a few lines taken from an interview with toto. In that interview he says there are lots of causes for the incident, one of which is bottas stopping short of the spot. Then some people reinterpret that as toto blaming bottas even though he specifically said its not any one person's fault.

Those pitstops are broken down into hundreds of components. Each component has risks and he's telling us that the stop being short of the spot increased the risk of this thing happening, and it happened. So bottas shares some of the responsibility. Not a big deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Kevski

43 hours later and they finally got the wheel off!

https://twitter.com/MercedesAMGF1/status/1397923700003901453?s=20

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,951 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Kevski wrote: »
    43 hours later and they finally got the wheel off!

https://twitter.com/MercedesAMGF1/status/1397923700003901453?s=20

He still would have finished ahead of Mazepin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Interesting that Pirelli let them take the tire back to the factory? I thought that doesn't normally happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭afatbollix

MadYaker wrote: »
    Interesting that Pirelli let them take the tire back to the factory? I thought that doesn't normally happen.

That's only due to logistics. They shred each tire so it's easier to transport to go back to the factory to be recycled. They would have all the data they need from the track they wouldn't need old tires.

They do roll them around on old tires tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

MadYaker wrote: »

What, are Pirelli meant to take the Merc back to their factory?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭PaoloGotti

In my opinion the gun man was a little trigger happy. Hadn’t seated the socket onto the nut before pulling the trigger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,745 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

PaoloGotti wrote: »
    In my opinion the gun man was a little trigger happy. Hadn’t seated the socket onto the nut before pulling the trigger.

Swiss Tony vibes.

"changing a F1 wheel in Monaco is much like making love to a beautiful woman"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭afatbollix

duploelabs wrote: »
    Swiss Tony vibes.

"changing a F1 wheel in Monaco is much like making love to a beautiful woman"

And then its all over in 2.4 seconds :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

afatbollix wrote: »
    And then its all over in 2.4 seconds :pac:

Poor bottas. He must be very tired

Advertisement