Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Could disconnected earth in hot press have been causing nuisance tripping

Options
  • 19-05-2021 9:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭

I've had an issue with nuisance tripping for over a year. I'm gradually eliminating appliances as the cause, but today I discovered the earth in the attached picture had become disconnected from the pipe. Could this be responsible for the RCD tripping or does my search for the culprit continue?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

Comer1 wrote: »
    I've had an issue with nuisance tripping for over a year. I'm gradually eliminating appliances as the cause, but today I discovered the earth in the attached picture had become disconnected from the pipe. Could this be responsible for the RCD tripping or does my search for the culprit continue?

I'd say keep looking. Was the bonding strap disconnected from the pipe? It's hard to tell from the picture.
    Have you eliminated the immersion?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭Comer1

aido79 wrote: »
    Have you eliminated the immersion?

Not yet, I currently have the circulation pump disconnected since yesterday and no trip yet.

Not yet, I currently have the circulation pump disconnected since yesterday and no trip yet.

Thats possibly the problem. How many RCD's do you have?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

What could be done is fit a few rcbos so you have protected circuits and seperation of such so if one goes it doesn't take the rest of the house....

Have you checked likes of dishwasher, dryer, washing machine, sink or back of it where water is getting at sockets or connections....

Does it trip at high usage times?
    What I'm hearing is with some smart devices and likes of fitted usb sockets are causing leakage and sometimes tripping. If applicable to your situation

Almost 48 hours without a trip since disconnecting the pump so I'm starting to get optimistic, but it has toyed with my emotions like this in the past so trying to keep my excitement in check.
    I have attached a picture of the board, it's the top left that trips which is for all the sockets. The immersion is not on that switch so I hadn't considered it. I've checked every socket for damp and if the pump isn't the problem, my last three suspects are the fridge, washing machine and submersible pump. The pump is very deep so I'm really hoping it's not that as we can't do without water for any period of time to test it. It would have to come up to be tested.

After that, my only option is to get in an electrician and do as you suggested with the RCBOs

Thanks for the help.

• Advertisement

Almost 48 hours without a trip since disconnecting the pump so I'm starting to get optimistic, but it has toyed with my emotions like this in the past so trying to keep my excitement in check.
    I have attached a picture of the board, it's the top left that trips which is for all the sockets. The immersion is not on that switch so I hadn't considered it. I've checked every socket for damp and if the pump isn't the problem, my last three suspects are the fridge, washing machine and submersible pump. The pump is very deep so I'm really hoping it's not that as we can't do without water for any period of time to test it. It would have to come up to be tested.

After that, my only option is to get in an electrician and do as you suggested with the RCBOs

Thanks for the help.

That board is a little confusing. Was it even done by an electrician? If so I wouldn't have a lot of respect for an electrician that can't spell immersion or put a cover on a board properly. Your showers are also on Mcb's rather than RCBO's which isn't good either.
    What is tripping? Is it the 63A Rcd?

I'd be getting a competent electrician to check and rectify that board as well as narrow down the fault that's causing the rcd to trip.

aido79 wrote: »
    That board is a little confusing. Was it even done by an electrician? If so I wouldn't have a lot of respect for an electrician that can't spell immersion or put a cover on a board properly. Your showers are also on Mcb's rather than RCBO's which isn't good either.
    What is tripping? Is it the 63A Rcd?

I'd be getting a competent electrician to check and rectify that board as well as narrow down the fault that's causing the rcd to trip.

It was an electrician, employed by the builder who built the house 25 years ago. I agree, it's a disgrace. The plumber was even worse.

It is the 63A RCD tripping and I think I will take your advice and get the whole thing checked out.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I'd nearly go as far as changing it out completely, obviously funding dependent but fitting a few rcbos to break up circuits is a good thing especially if one trips....

It was an electrician, employed by the builder who built the house 25 years ago. I agree, it's a disgrace. The plumber was even worse.

It is the 63A RCD tripping and I think I will take your advice and get the whole thing checked out.

Definitely worth getting it looked.

I'd agree with what punisher says about getting some rcbo's put in especially for the showers which they should really be on anyway.
    It's not a good idea to have lots of things on a single rcd because as you're finding out it makes fault finding difficult and all it takes it one faulty appliance or pump to take out all of your sockets.

I have had work done since those labels were written in. I have three showers with two on RCBOs and the third is a power shower (does not heat the water) and it is on an RCD.

Seeing that picture is giving me a new perspective, it definitely needs an overhaul alright, even still has the old doorbell transformer in there:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

It might be my imagination but the casing on that bell transformer looks as if it's melted a bit?

I have had work done since those labels were written in. I have three showers with two on RCBOs and the third is a power shower (does not heat the water) and it is on an RCD.

Seeing that picture is giving me a new perspective, it definitely needs an overhaul alright, even still has the old doorbell transformer in there:eek:

The showers should really be on a priority unit unless you make sure they are never used at the same time.

As Alun said the door bell transformer looks melted so probably a sign of heat which isn't a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭liveandnetural

is that main switch one off the hellerman recalls (they were burning) not sure but looks like hi do2/63a

EEC D02 63A AC 22B
    Gould 5861.063 DO63A AC22
    Lindner 5861.063 DO 63A AC22
    NES UE 440V 63A
    REGIS OSLF 63 1P
    Hi 240V/415V-63A
    Hi DO2 63A 5.5W ac 22B

Advertisement