Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HAP & Parents Second Home

Options
  • 19-05-2021 9:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭

If someone is approved for HAP, can they rent an investment property owned by their parents?

I know you cant claim HAP if living in the family home, but what about a second home owned by your parents.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭SupaCat95

I dont think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,779 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Only if you were already a tenant of them (with proof of actual paid rent) before requiring HAP, unless rules have changed. It will not be given for a new tenancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭Jizique

L1011 wrote: »
    Only if you were already a tenant of them (with proof of actual paid rent) before requiring HAP, unless rules have changed. It will not be given for a new tenancy.

Christ alive, the taxpayer is some mug; that this would even be considered is mad

• Registered Users Posts: 68,779 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Jizique wrote: »
    Christ alive, the taxpayer is some mug; that this would even be considered is mad

It wouldn't be that common a situation that a genuine HAP claimant (income levels etc) would have a parent that owned a second property I'd guess.

The landlord is going to have to be tax cleared regardless.

In the days of rent relief there was far more concern of notional 'rent' being charged for relief purposes on rent-a-room; very easy paperwork fudge to create that - so that was banned.

Excluding the option of HAP in this scenario would run counter to the fact that cannot now let your children live rent free in such a house - the market rent is considered a gift and falls under the lifetime CAT allowance, e.g. you may eventually have to pay tax on it and/or have no CAT allowance left if there's inheritance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DubCount

L1011 wrote: »
    It wouldn't be that common a situation that a genuine HAP claimant (income levels etc) would have a parent that owned a second property I'd guess....

This was really the origin of my question. If someone qualifies for HAP, finding a rental can be next to impossible. Where a parent has an investment property coming free but cant afford to be without the rental income from that property, there might be a solution to suit everyone. It wasn't meant as a cunning plan to swindle the taxpayer.

Anyway, the answers given are quite comprehensive, so thanks for the time taken to post.

• Advertisement
Advertisement