Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Witness to an accident @airport on Mon

• 20-05-2021 11:22am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭

I know its a long shot but will try anyway.

My son was hit by a car at the old entrance to the airport on Mon night 17-May.
    He was helped by two lads who probably witnessed the incident.
    My son said they were wearing airport hi viz vests so were probably heading into or from work. Unfortuantley he didnt get their names or numbers
    The driver admitted he was in the wrong at the time but has subsequently changed his tune.

If anyone knows or think they may know anything can you shout me as it looks like his bike is a write off.

TIA

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭Lady_North1

I don't know if you are on Facebook but there are several swords Facebook pages that might be worth asking.. A lot of swords residents work in the airport. Hope your son is doing ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Scumbag motorist for doing that, probably decided your son was confused and in a bit of shock and hadn't got witness phone numbers etc. and decided to chance his arm by not admitting liability at the 2nd time of asking. I hope you locate someone who can help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭OU812

Cameras everywhere up there. Call up to the airport police and ask them to check the recordings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭koutoubia

OU812 wrote: »
    Cameras everywhere up there. Call up to the airport police and ask them to check the recordings.

Would there be camera's at that junction opposite ALSAA?

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭James 007

koutoubia wrote: »

Road cameras surely, has he reported it to gardai

https://www.google.ie/maps/search/alsaa+dublin+google+maps/@53.4227083,-6.2305251,64a,35y,39.57t/data=!3m1!1e3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭OU812

Pretty sure there would be. Would be needed for campus security

Yeah was reported to Swords garda station.
    The driver of the car was insistent that insurance not be involved so sensed something wasnt right and went to Swords Garda.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I hope your son is okay and that you manage to find the lads who helped him, or footage of the incident.

May go down this eve and have a scout around.

My son seems to be fine thankfully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,000 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

The long term car park buses, Aircoach and Dublin Bus all have cameras fitted if any were in the vicinity at the time.

• Advertisement

The only camera we can see is in a private car park at that junction on the swords side.
    The chances of getting footage from I would imagine to be precisley zero.

The only camera we can see is in a private car park at that junction on the swords side.
    The chances of getting footage from I would imagine to be precisley zero.
    That's the staff car-park.

probably why it was empty!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭Juwwi

Might be worth returning to the spot of the accident and placing posters looking for witness to the accident .

There's a good chance the 2 guys would be around again and see the posters .

Or hang out there at the same time of the accident for a few nights in the hope your son would recognise them again .

• Registered Users Posts: 8 John B Williams

Hope your son is doing well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,918 ✭✭✭billyhead

Such a scummy think to do. Same thing happened to me. Driver got out and actually drove me to the nearest GP and than skipped it. Your in such a daze after being hit that you just don't think of taking the reg details etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭PCros

You mentioned he subsequently changed his tune since - can you not just pass his details onto the Gardai instead? If they are happy they will get the footage from the DAA and proceed with the next steps. However, it's hard to know which way the camera is facing.

Best of luck and I hope it works out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Inquitus wrote: »
    Scumbag motorist for doing that, probably decided your son was confused and in a bit of shock and hadn't got witness phone numbers etc. and decided to chance his arm by not admitting liability at the 2nd time of asking. I hope you locate someone who can help.

To be fair, Insurance companies etc. frown upon people admitting liability. If he reported the incident to his insurance they will have likely told him NOT to admit liability, of course there is the possibility that he is just scummy as you say...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Spook_ie wrote: »
    To be fair, Insurance companies etc. frown upon people admitting liability. If he reported the incident to his insurance they will have likely told him NOT to admit liability, of course there is the possibility that he is just scummy as you say...

Probably makes no sense to go through his insurance anyways, probably cheaper in the long run to just pay for a new / repaired bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

Where were the two lads walking from/to? Where excatly did it happen? If they were walking from the staff car park you could print out flyers and stick it to the entrance of it. I tought the staff car park there was going to be closed until the aiport fully opened but if they are back in the purple or silver staff car park they should be easy to find.

• Advertisement

Inquitus wrote: »
    Probably makes no sense to go through his insurance anyways, probably cheaper in the long run to just pay for a new / repaired bike.
    Insurance companies aren't concerned with material damages as it's peanuts compared to personal injuries payouts.

We have his reg and insurance details (fwiw its a french insurance co via an Irish broker).
    The issue is that he changed his story on Tues morn.
    I was present when he rang my son and started to accuse my son of being in wrong. I told my son to ask him of he had a daschcam to back up his story which he replied in a less aggravated tone 'No'. I then told my son to hang up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Contact the insurance company and start the process to make a claim if it is a non-injury claim.
    you should have a garda incident number to give to them.

Contact the insurance company and start the process to make a claim ...
    This.

He will be shown up in a bad light if he hasn't reported it to them as he's supposed to report involvement in any accident regardless of who is at fault.

We have his reg and insurance details (fwiw its a french insurance co via an Irish broker).
    I was present when he rang my son and started to accuse my son of being in wrong. I told my son to ask him of he had a daschcam to back up his story which he replied in a less aggravated tone 'No'. I then told my son to hang up.

That could obviously work both ways if you fail to find the witnesses.

Of interest, that junction by the ALSAA is so full of red lights I would assume one or other broke a red light and if both claim the light was green then it'll end up a case of he said, you said, he said

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

1. start the claims process 2. report the accident to the Guards 3. Don't engage with any communication with the driver.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭kravmaga

Yeah was reported to Swords garda station.
    The driver of the car was insistent that insurance not be involved so sensed something wasnt right and went to Swords Garda.

Hope your son is okay and no major injury. Its a good idea to take some photos of his injuries and get the medical report from the hospital if your intent on claiming against the other drivers insurance.

Your son can take a civil action for damages once the criminal investigation is completed by the Gardai at Swords.

I presume your son has already given a sworn statement to the investigating Garda in Swords.

Get the PULSE number for insurance claim. Was it a push bike or motorbike?

The gardai will check the CCTV footage at the junction with the DAA who own all of the land in that location.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭kravmaga

Again OP, you need to inform the investigating Garda at Swords about this phone call with the driver, your son need to tell the guards everything.

Your going to need a Solicitor also if you intent on taking a civil action for personal injuries and damage to your sons bike

Thanks guys.
    Something strange happened over the weekend.
    I had a missed call form Airport Garda Station.
    They also rang the house number.
    They did not ring my sons phone EVEN though my son was the only one to give the Garda a telephone number. He only gave his mobile number.
    They wanted him to produce his docs even though he produced on the night in question!

• Advertisement

Advertisement