Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not Guilty by reason of Insanity READ OP FIRST

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Ellie2008 wrote: »
    Two opinions is just that it’s two opinions, what of it. I don’t accept that psychiatry is some sort of black & white practice. It’s isn’t. Neither is it removed from the life experience & views of the person giving the opinion.

If you read Ms.Morley’s own description of her eldest son’s death - she thought to herself I can’t do this, this is awful but then thought I’ve killed his siblings, what will he think of me. Based on that at the time she killed her eldest son it seems she did know it was wrong.

You are saying it is not black and white in your first paragraph and yet in your second you are giving a black and white look at one particular moment in time.

You completely ignored the fact that just before that she said "I had to have [thought it was wrong]," implying that she didn't know at the time.

I would trust two qualified opinions, one from prosecution and one from the defence, over the unqualified opinion of someone who clearly has emotions (understandably) and prejudice.

Swindled wrote: »
    The whole thing smacks of Double standards, especially with regard to the media's reporting of it.

Another comment from someone who clearly doesn't know the law.

What exactly is 'double standards' about the media's reporting of this?

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Jeremy Sproket

Darc19 wrote: »
    It's insensitive assholes like you that cause so many people with mental health issues not to seek help.

Stupid people don't see it as an illness.

I've just reported you. Have a nice day :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Ellie2008

Faugheen wrote: »
    You are saying it is not black and white in your first paragraph and yet in your second you are giving a black and white look at one particular moment in time.

You completely ignored the fact that just before that she said "I had to have [thought it was wrong]," implying that she didn't know at the time.

I would trust two qualified opinions, one from prosecution and one from the defence, over the unqualified opinion of someone who clearly has emotions (understandably) and prejudice.

So are psychiatrists removed from emotion & prejudice?

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭TP_CM

JackTC wrote: »
    Postpartum depression was mentioned last year (can't find the link) and that can exacerbate bipolar symptoms or in this case postpartum psychosis (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postpartum_depression)

She probably led a fairly normal life that was plagued by episodes of depression . The birth of her third child could have just pushed the depression in to the psychotic stage.

As you said she went to college, had a careers, wedding, family... so something must have pushed her over the edge.

Yes it's quite strange. I just think that something did push her over the edge and now that that 'something' (stressful family life / work commitments / failing marriage/ who knows) is gone, will she eventually heal back to the old educated/plan ahead/create joyous moments type person.

I suppose my main wonder is what happens when you put a person, who was momentarily insane, in a hospital for the rest of their lives with people who are psychopaths, schizophrenic, or severely bi polar. I don't think I've ever heard of that before.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I know this is a emotive topic but please post in a civil manner or don't post at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,385 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Can the leniency be appealed and retried?

I hate the goalpost shifting that goes on in the Irish justice system

In some cases the judge accepts a majority verdict and in some cases they require a unanimous verdict. Then they start basically telling the jury how to vote.

We should abolish the jury and move towards a panel of judges as per the Civil Law system.

What leniency?
    Shes currently being treated in the CMH , no instruction has been made about her dentention/treatment yet.

Are you suggesting jury trials are abolished across the board ?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,640 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

joe40 wrote: »
    I can understand that up to a point but in this particular case the medical experts for both sides and both legal teams accepted the insanity case.
    I can't believe those experts were hoodwinked or overly influenced by emotion as opposed to psychiatric medicine.
    Even the husband can accept the verdict.
    Each case is different, in this case there seems to be a clear medical consensus.
    As a non medical person I can accept that.

Emotion, gender all kinds of things can come into wider debate but in that courthouse the only factors were medical and legal.
    Comparisons with other cases is moot. No two are the same.
    Excellent post.

So are psychiatrists removed from emotion & prejudice?

The DPP will have a number of psychiatrists who would be asked to assess murder suspects in cases like this, in case they do try to claim insanity when they're not.

They would assess the suspect in initial interviews with Gardai and through their own assessments as well.

The defence, if they wish, would look for a second opinion.

Its the jobs of these people to give detailed and fact-based accounts of what their assessment is and why they have come to that conclusion.

The more you post the more you are moving to a certain direction which would imply some form of corruption. You have admitted yourself you are not qualified and you also clearly don't know how the process works.

Psychiatrists are used in murder cases all the time. This isn't some new phenomenon that they might not be used to doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

The mental health services are appalling in this country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Burt Renaults

NIMAN wrote: »
    There's not much that can be said about this entire case.

And here we are, twenty-seven pages later.

Horrible case.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Jeremy Sproket

Maybe all defendants and plaintiffs should be anonymous.

The judge will receive impartial information and only material facts. IE, person A did this to person B. Person C retaliated ... and so on. No mention of gender, ethnicity or skin coloutr.

Then I can guarantee we'd see a level playing field.

Men are house in cattle sheds of a prison compared to women.

Women have an ensuite, men have a metal toilet in the middle of their cell.
    Women have private showers, men have communal.
    Women have the key to their own cell and most can enter and leave into the city centre. Men are houses and locked like animals.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,890 ✭✭✭sporina

this case is being discussed on Primetime now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Ellie2008

The DPP will have a number of psychiatrists who would be asked to assess murder suspects in cases like this, in case they do try to claim insanity when they're not.

They would assess the suspect in initial interviews with Gardai and through their own assessments as well.

The defence, if they wish, would look for a second opinion.

Its the jobs of these people to give detailed and fact-based accounts of what their assessment is and why they have come to that conclusion.

The more you post the more you are moving to a certain direction which would imply some form of corruption. You have admitted yourself you are not qualified and you also clearly don't know how the process works.

Psychiatrists are used in murder cases all the time. This isn't some new phenomenon that they might not be used to doing.

Goodness how incredibly incredibly patronising of you. I don’t live under a rock I’m well aware that psychiatrists are used in murder cases on a regular basis. I actually do know how the process works but thanks for the 101.

I’m hardly “implying some form of corruption” by stating I don’t think the views of a psychiatrist are immune from emotion & prejudice. But I think that’s entirely secondary to psychiatry being an ever evolving practice heavily influenced by the views of wider society. For example, homosexuality was previously classed as a “mental illness”.

Did Ms.Morley know at the moment she killed each of her children that she was doing was wrong. From what I have read it seems there is evidence to suggest that at the time she killed her eldest child she did know it was wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,417 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

sporina wrote: »
    this case is being discussed on Primetime now

It's only on a few mins and it's already a hard watch

• Registered Users Posts: 24,401 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Heartbreaking. Pure and simple.

I'm not going to comment on the case. It's horrific and it literally hurts just reading about it. I was giving my own kids extra hugs tonight.

What I will comment on is the media. There have been a couple of cases, like this, recently in Ireland and the UK.
    Some cases, rightly, have highlighted the dangers of untreated mental illnesses and how, on occasion, we all need support from families and, at times, the state to help us get well. Highlighting the underspend on mental health and, still, backward mentality of certain sections.
    The other cases have portrayed the perpetrators inhuman monsters, deserving off all kinds of hell, and castigating those who mention the above mentioned lack of mental health facilities.

It seems, totally in my own honest observations, that when a mother commits these acts then it's a tragedy but when a father does it then it's pure evil.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,890 ✭✭✭sporina

It's only on a few mins and it's already a hard watch
    lawred2 wrote: »
    Heartbreaking. Pure and simple.

yep - not only has he lost his kids but his wife too..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

I definitely do not agree with this verdict. She should have been found guilty.

Who should be found guilty is the husband. You don't turn insane over night, this was building up for many years. What did he do?!

Thread banned.

I can't ever imagine seeing a verdict of not guilty by reason of insanity for a father.

• Advertisement

grogi wrote: »
    Who should be found guilty is the husband. You don't turn insane over night, this was building up for many years. What did he do?!

Ah here that's an appalling thing to come out with

Did Ms.Morley know at the moment she killed each of her children that she was doing was wrong. From what I have read it seems there is evidence to suggest that at the time she killed her eldest child she did know it was wrong.

According to two qualified psychiatrists, no she didn't.

You have read one line in her statement to Gardai that might suggest that but like I said, I will trust two psychiatrists who combined would have spent hours assessing her over someone who is clearly looking for a reason to doubt their evidence.

Like I said, you quoted that one line from her Garda statements while ignoring other lines which suggested she might not have know at that very moment in time.

You have clearly made your mind up about the case and you're posting in bad faith, asking me questions about if she knew she was wrong at the time. I'm not qualified to answer that, and neither are you.

However only one of us is trying to play the armchair psychiatrist and it isn't me.

Call me patronising all you want, but you aren't asking questions or probing because that would imply you want to get some understanding. You don't want to understand anything because you have already made up your mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I don’t know how that poor man is still standing. He’s amazing.

I can't ever imagine seeing a verdict of not guilty by reason of insanity for a father.

You don't need to imagine anything because it has happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,761 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I'm sorry but if you're reading it more and more and then coming to this conclusion then you're clearly not reading it properly at all.

We will just have to disagree

The YouTube channel he set up for his eldest lad is f*cking heart breaking

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

grogi wrote: »

Do not post in here again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,670 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Really? Why not?
    https://www.donegaldaily.com/2016/06/09/carndonagh-man-who-killed-parents-with-axe-not-guilty-of-murder/

Or here:
    https://www.rte.ie/news/2005/0722/65725-carrolla/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,417 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Terrible news stories generally don't get to me, but I had to turn this one off.

That man has tremendous strength.

• Advertisement

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    We will just have to disagree

How can you possibly keep reading this and conclude what you are concluding? Seriously?

How can you read this and get angrier and angrier?

Are you reading the testimonies of not one, but two, psychiatrists that give an insight into her frame of mind at the time?

Are you reading the statement from Andrew?

Seriously, psychiatrists, the prosecution, defence, jury and husband all agree with this outcome yet for some reason you think otherwise.

I absolutely understand with three beautiful children involved (I've been hugging my own daughter a lot more over the last number of days) that it can lead to emotional reactions but you are simply not reading this case properly.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement