Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not Guilty by reason of Insanity READ OP FIRST

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭boardise

Says keyboard warrior legal "expert ".

Who's claiming to be an expert ?
    BTW -are you an expert whose opinion just happens to coincide with that of another subset of experts ?

If I killed my kids, I would be doing the same to myself when I stopped being insane

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Curse These Metal Hands

bubblypop wrote: »
    Insanity does not mean that someone doesn't know the difference between right and wrong, that's a completely different thing.
    People who are insane can appear very controlled and calm and can make meticulous plans.

The judge's specific orders to the jury specifically referenced right and wrong.The jury had to be satisfied that she didn't know she was doing something wrong.

In this case insanity means exactly that.

That is not an issue for the court. The court is there to judge the facts of the case before them.

Well, no. The facts are clear. She killed her kids.

The court actually judged on the interpretation and projection of intent and culpability. About as far from the realm of "facts" as you could wish for tbh.

And the legal and psychiatric industries roll on, good verdict for them.

Kids in the care of unfit parents? Not so much

• Registered Users Posts: 6,396 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

Beautiful
    As usual the least educated posters have made up their minds already and know better than anyone involved in the actual trial.

Bravo, now burn the witch already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

If Alan Hawe from Cavan was found not guilty by reason of insanity, wonder how the responses would be then!!!
    It is a female v male thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

tdf7187 wrote: »
    I think the government made a mistake in bowing to media pressure to change the legislation. It enables the disgusting media prurience we have seen in recent days.

As for the verdict, I suspect it is the right one. Thank God we have a laws that is not entirely driven by media prurience of the most despicable kind.

As for boards.ie, some of you are clearly not fit to serve on any jury.

I agree, it is totally disgusting.

If Alan Hawe from Cavan was found not guilty by reason of insanity, wonder how the responses would be then!!!

Fathers have been found insane in similar circumstances

Jequ0n wrote: »
    Beautiful
    As usual the least educated posters have made up their minds already and know better than anyone involved in the actual trial.

Bravo, now burn the witch already.

Everyones cv there open in fron of you, eh?

Or do "intelligent" people just always happen to exactly agree with you?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,303 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I can't help but feel sorry and even sympathetic for her, but I know I'd feel completely different if it was a father who killed his kids

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

bubblypop wrote: »
    Fathers have been found insane in similar circumstances

Haven't seen any in a long time. Please share

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

She presented at a hospital weeks before the murder, pleading for help.

Hawe didn't- he just wanted to murder his kids, for his own selfish reasons.]

I'm glad she's going to get the help she needs- for everyone's safety.

Everyones cv there open in fron of you, eh?

Or do "intelligent" people just always happen to exactly agree with you?

I do not need a CV. If someone is unable/ unwilling to even try to see a situation from a different angle and just makes broad and emotionally loaded statements they show themselves for what they are.

Sometimes it’s not about being right or wrong but what you can learn when you listen to others

• Registered Users Posts: 18,302 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

CptMonkey wrote: »
    Why do the juries deliberate when the judge tells them the verdict to arrive at? What’s the point in it?

The jury had an impossible job. They were basically told what verdict to arrive at by the judge. They did come back at one point and said could the consider the verdict separately for the 3 kids - I suspect they had some debate on the murder of the eldest child in particular who she picked up from school after killing the other two and she had plenty of time to consider her actions.

Haven't seen any in a long time. Please share

That's a good thing!

Can't post links, I'm in the phone but there was a case in killiney, John Carroll was the father, murdered one son with a lump hammer

• Registered Users Posts: 86,757 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

spookwoman wrote: »
    To smother / stangle a person takes time and to do that 3 times takes a special kind of monster.
    Seeking help knowing something was wrong and then regretting and wanting to turn back time to me means she knows the difference between what's right and what's wrong and should have been charged with murder.

Did I read she knew she did wrong when killing the first eldest child but didn't know what to tell the siblings so killed them too, imho she knew what she was doing, that poor father, an awful tragedy, those 3 angels, cherish your kids, life in an asylum is that what she got so?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,986 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

A deeply tragic and sad story but I have to say some of the reporting in some print media especially the indo was just horrific and I wondered did people really need to know some of the graphic details, I was actually shocked the Judge did not restrict reporting. I'm very much for freedom of the press but have to say sharing graphic details unnecessary in this case.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,757 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

namloc1980 wrote: »
    The jury had an impossible job. They were basically told what verdict to arrive at by the judge. They did come back at one point and said could the consider the verdict separately for the 3 kids - I suspect they had some debate on the murder of the eldest child in particular who she picked up from school after killing the other two and she had plenty of time to consider her actions.

Apologies I must have read wrong so, each child deserved a separate case and trial then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Jerry Attrick

namloc1980 wrote: »

Having also tried to poison them the night before. My heartfelt commiserations to the unfortunate husband - I assume that he can now have the marriage annulled - no doubt some well-paid 'experts' will be able to confirm that she was insane when she agreed to marry him - and hopefully he'll then find happiness with someone new.

I do not need a CV.

If someone is unable/ unwilling to even try to see a situation from a different angle and just makes broad and emotionally loaded statements they show themselves for what they are.

Your first sentence, the post preceding, the second sentence

It's, as you say yourself, beautiful.

"Everyone should be as considered and see the other perspective like i do and if they dont ... theyre stupid"

Be great if we *could* discuss this from all sides, yep. Without one side closing down this topic with derogatory remarks to the opposing views who seem to be held not to know whats good for them, arguing against their betters.

• Advertisement

Having also tried to poison them the night before. My heartfelt commiserations to the unfortunate husband - I assume that he can now have the marriage annulled - no doubt some well-paid 'experts' will be able to confirm that she was insane when she agreed to marry him - and hopefully he'll then find happiness with someone new.

What difference does it make it he can annul his marriage? That's weird.

Your first sentence, the post preceding, the second sentence

It's, as you say yourself, beautiful.

"Everyone should be as considered and see the other perspective like i do and if they dont ... theyre stupid"

Be great if we *could* discuss this from all sides, yep. Without one side closing down this topic with derogatory remarks to the opposing views who seem to be held not to know whats good for them, arguing against their betters.

Whatever this gibberish is supposed to mean ...

Go on, bring the matches, but try not to set yourself on fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭murphthesmurf

I see this going the usual route

"The court has ruled and technically its correct and experts have said it so anyone who has an issue with it is either ignorant or a monster"

That wont help the next three kids and bear in mind before that high horse runs off with you on it that the person commenting may have very relevant experience in being raised by parents where the latter's diagnosis and treatment came before the child's wellbeing.

This ☝
    A lot of people don't seem to understand the concept of a forum. Or indeed an opinion. Whenever a person posts an opinion that someone doesn't like they are immediately met with the usual replies "what makes you an expert" etc.
    One poster in this thread posted his opinion and that his father tried to strangle him as a child. The replies he got were "keyboard warrior", "he's emotional" , "what's your expert opinion".
    Having lived through an experience like that I'd be more inclined to listen to him than the poisonous mob on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

What's the weird fetish people have with having to put the word experts in inverted commas?

Whatever this gibberish is supposed to mean ...

Go on, bring the matches, but try not to set yourself on fire.

Great that you're so far above the discourse to wade in sneering at whomever doesn't agree with you, certainly you've shown that broad perspective you bemoaned lacking in others since.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭kilkenny31

My opinion on this is she should have been found guilty of murder. I get she was depressed but to say she had no idea what she was doing is wrong.

She killed the kids. Wrote a note to apologise ( knew she did wrong). Then when she woke up she told cops she regretted what she done. Also it says her husband and all her family had no idea what she was going through. I think you could be living with someone depressed and not see it. But I think if she truly was insane someone would have noticed.

I get she was depressed but this sets a dangerous precedent. Anyone that kills someone isn't in the right frame of mind.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

CptMonkey wrote: »
    Why do the juries deliberate when the judge tells them the verdict to arrive at? What’s the point in it?

Why does it even go to trial when the Prosecutors push for a not-guilty verdict.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Jerry Attrick

What's the weird fetish people have with having to put the word experts in inverted commas?

Whot sort of 'people' would they be?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Whot sort of 'people' would they be?

You seem to be one from looking at previous posts.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

This thread is going swimmingly well and isn't led by emotion whatsoever.

Comparisons to Alan Hawe are nonsense. He was a controlling d!ck and took his wife and family so they would never find out about his great fall from grace as an upstanding member of the community.

Anyone who can't see the clear differences between these two cases is blind or trying to push an agenda. It's a horrific case and if more details come to light I will happily change my mind but right now I don't see any other verdict but this one.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement