Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2021 PGA Championship @ Kiawah (No betting talk)

Options
14567810»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Grey Fox

eagle eye wrote: »
    How DeChambeau got the nickname the scientist is beyond me. Seems like a really dumb guy in many ways. All the ridic stuff he does on greens, like most players do all that in their heads in 30 seconds.
    I'll give credit as regards trying to come up with ways to price himself but he's clearly went overboard with the distance thing where it's now hurting his game. He doesn't seem to have copped on to that yet or maybe it's a money thing where he's selling loads of merchandise by trying to smash the ball.
    I prefer Tiger's nickname for him... "Rain man". Hahaha!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭bustercherry

eagle eye wrote: »
    How DeChambeau got the nickname the scientist is beyond me. Seems like a really dumb guy in many ways. All the ridic stuff he does on greens, like most players do all that in their heads in 30 seconds.
    I'll give credit as regards trying to come up with ways to price himself but he's clearly went overboard with the distance thing where it's now hurting his game. He doesn't seem to have copped on to that yet or maybe it's a money thing where he's selling loads of merchandise by trying to smash the ball.

He might overthink things and not everyone’s cup of tea, but dumb he is definitely not.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭volono

Totally agree 4ad, it's nothing but fascinating. I personally, from my understanding of course set ups can't see Bryson winning too much, if at all , including the regular PGA tour events. Good on him for trying , but it's not like he's doing a 100 yard more of a drive than most, not at all tbf. Give me an average, even ball striker with the irons into greens , everyday of the week , then tally it with a hot putter and there's plenty of different winners on the tour.. I was really impressed with Morikawa, there's more majors in that guy imo, absolutely fantastic from tee to green imo.
    It's a strange one with Rory, I think with him , maybe it came too naturally. At any level of what your playing , definitely for us mere mortals but at any individual sport and then especially so , at their level, you must believe your improving all the time. There's no chance in hell Rory thought he was playing his best golf, a couple of weeks ago, never mind when he won his 4 majors. Our brains aren't set up that way imo.......its practicing, playing .....competitiveness against others. They're all at least tinkering , the pros imo. It's partly the reason why they're there in the first place. Look at Speith. He played collegiate golf and burst onto the PGA tour. Money, personal life etc aside he took a huge dip in form .......it's partly because of what he done that it happened, and then hes gone through years of torture over the years. What's impressive about him though imo , is that he's come out the other end. Theirs loads of majors left in Speith i fancy. .McIlroy is only just beginning his journey with those problems and some never get back!!...they just lose it. I don't think McIlroy will, he's too naturally gifted but like another poster said...... fascinating!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

He might overthink things and not everyone’s cup of tea, but dumb he is definitely not.

I am more qualified in maths than he is and YES I can confirm a lot of the on course stuff is absolute BS and he only does it cause he gets attention

Some of it could be justified if (BIG IF) he just accepted when his methods dont work. He could then argue that the process gives him confidence

Considering a vast amount of what he ****es on about isnt maths but essentially stats yet I have never ONCE heard him mention variability, skew or kurtosis means he is missing huge chunks

Someone should sit down with him and explain Bayesian methods

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Saw this on twitter :rolleyes:

E2RmGNsWQAAHl17?format=jpg&name=small

I think both guys are similar in many ways. They bring on heat apon themselves and enjoy/thrive on it. However, I think from now on, this rivalry will be very bad for their finishing results. Brooks in particular plays too uptight, pissed off at everyone and anything. It's starting to show. On the first hole of the PGA, frustrated at how long it took rory to take his drop, brooks played quickly and out of turn without committing to the shot, failed to get out of the bunker advancing to an even worst position and took double bogey. That single mistake on the first hole likely cost him a major win.

Brooks is now going to be playing alongside Bryson for the first two days of every tournament and this is his own fault by to not being able to control his own behaviour. Their downfall should make good viewing :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Grey Fox

Brooks and Bryson need to read this thread to see where they are going wrong and to effectively move forward with their careers. They're obviously surrounded by a bunch of yes men, some home truths could be in order.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Too right and all. Thought the marshalling was deplorable on Sunday.
    PGA of America chief apology to Phil Mickelson & Brooks Koepka after being mobbed by fans at Kiawah Island 18th fairway

https://www.rte.ie/sport/golf/2021/0525/1223707-pga-apology-to-mickelson-koepka-over-scenes-at-18th/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,634 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

4Ad wrote: »
    Golf is fascinating.
    DeChambeau beefed up and was going to overdrive everything and make a mockery of coures.All gone skywards at the moment, thankfully.
    Collin Morikawa, with no muscle power appears. Wins a major..
    Rory re-appears for 1 tournament, then retreats.
    'Old guy' Mickelson turns up and puts on a fantastic display..
    And Matsuyama also, just so likeable...

Don’t forget the return of Harrington ! Let’s hope he doesn’t change his swing again .

• Registered Users Posts: 11,368 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

https://twitter.com/b_dechambeau/status/1397630013969735685?s=21

Bit of a Twitter spat starting, Phil destroyed Brooks in the replies!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Okay, time to wrap this one up, well done Phil and the Irish lads

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement