Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2021 PGA Championship @ Kiawah (No betting talk)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,359 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

kind of mad they weren't restricting this to the vaccinated only.

they weren't even screening with testing by the looks of it.

Kind of great if you ask me. Want to see more normality.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,368 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

kind of mad they weren't restricting this to the vaccinated only.

they weren't even screening with testing by the looks of it.

Mental. Not a mask in sight and everyone piled in on top of each other.

fullstop wrote: »
    Mental. Not a mask in sight and everyone piled in on top of each other.

Outdoors by the sea with a solid 20MPH wind

Risk of covid fairly small you'd have to say

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭unplayable

lawred2 wrote: »
    Outdoors by the sea with a solid 20MPH wind

Risk of covid fairly small you'd have to say

exactly and over 40% of americans are now vaccinated. give it a break lads ffs. they were fantastic scenes.

a bigger issue was brooks getting a bang on his knee from the fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

unplayable wrote: »
    exactly and over 40% of americans are now vaccinated. give it a break lads ffs. they were fantastic scenes.

I wasn't thinking of the covid implications, Phil was struggling to get out of the crowd and he still had important shots to play. Very difficult for both players with all the shouting - even when Phil was standing over his putt.

• Advertisement

dublin49 wrote: »
    enjoyed the Tourney but missed the masters feature where I could see every Lowry shot.Our guys have to be at the very top or there is very little shown of them.

Harrington and Lowry went out 2 and a half hours before the leaders and only went up the leaderboard as others fell back really and by then they were both pretty much finished their round.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭volono

I don't think that's exclusive to the Irish, it's the rest of the players tbf . Bar the odd shot here and there or a fantastic shot into a green, a chip in , a long putt, no one's really covered bar the leading groups. The coverage in general isn't great at times by sky sports golf, never mind the advert breaks near constantly

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Lad GAGA

Delighted to see Phil win, he played some incredible golf. Thinking about it today I don't remember him missing any short putts whereas Koepka and Oostenhuisen both missed a number of short putts over the weekend which I hadn't expected. Brilliant for Padraig and Shane as well, ironically Shane missing that putt on the last gets Harrington into the Masters next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,888 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

I think it was great scenes - but.......... I like a drink myself. But the general drunkenness and shouting of crap has got out of hand at many US events. Grand if it is Phoenix Open - a bit of craic and a novelty act. But I like my majors to have an atmosphere - but be treated as seriously as they are. Likes of the Masters and The Open is what I expect at a major.

I don't know - maybe America is a very changed place in last few years. I have not been there in 20 years. A good bit of stuff has happened in 20 years. To be honest the place looks a bit crazy crazy over the Trump and post Trump period. .

Again Brooks might have been better saying nothing about it. Saying he got “drilled” and “dinged” and giving out about the fans will have them on his back in future tournaments no doubt.
    I’m sure Rory wasn’t happy when he got engulfed at East Lake but he just got on with it and said it was cool or whatever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Brooks needs to stop moaning.

If you're injured don't play. If you're playing shut up and get on with it.

Sick of hearing about his knees every second minute when he's in the field.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,288 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Brooks needs to stop moaning.

If you're injured don't play. If you're playing shut up and get on with it.

Sick of hearing about his knees every second minute when he's in the field.
    His knee got dinged up when the crowd swarmed on 18. He said it would have been super cool only fir he was worried about his knee.
    He didn't make excuses for not winning.

What exactly did he do wrong? It's commentators who are constantly going on about his knee not him

• Registered Users Posts: 34,117 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I could watch Phil’s short game all day. I really hope a few players coming through can excite me with Short Game Skills. At minute Speith is only one and even he is no Phil.

That man can do magic with a Golf ball.

On the other plus side it was great to see two Irishmen right up there again. If Lowry could be a half decent putter he be laughing.

I can’t wait for US Open. Torrey Pines is a super US Open track, been too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Lip Out

• Registered Users Posts: 17,947 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Phil surely playing Ryder cup, the two lads hating each other throw in Patrick Reed, Harrington will fancy his chances.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Lip Out wrote: »
    That was great, can't make out what DeChambeau said or if it was directed at Koepka - something about the line of a putt?

I can see why Bryson annoys people but there is a cartoonish aspect to him that is appealing. Koepka comes across more of a dour, macho asshole, even more so since he grew that beard. Very punchable face on him, more so than even Reed or Casey :D

BrianD3 wrote: »
    That was great, can't make out what DeChambeau said or if it was directed at Koepka - something about the line of a putt?

I can see why Bryson annoys people but there is a cartoonish aspect to him that is appealing. Koepka comes across more of a dour, macho asshole, even more so since he grew that beard. Very punchable face on him, more so than even Reed or Casey :D

I don't know... I think Brooks is the opposite to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 14,488 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Brooks is da man.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭IAmTitleist

Brooks is the worst.

Bryson isn't far behind him.

Would be happy to never see a single shot of theirs ever again.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,567 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Yeah give me Koepka over Bryson any day of the week.

Everything Bryson is doing is really interesting, and I respect him for trying something so different. I just find his personality extremely grating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭CSWS101

Brooks is the worst.

Can’t agree to this, they’re great talking points. Golf would be worse off without them. Would much rather see one of them win than Streelman, Bradley etc.
    Them paired together in the final round of a major would be so entertaining, would love for it to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭rooney30

“You need to start em on line Brooksy” or words to that effect ,, in reference to Koepkas putting is what was allegedly said .

If Bryson did say this , he’s gone up in my estimation big time

Brooks is the worst.

As bad as each other for me as well. Bryson is living in Brooks’ head too by the looks of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭volono

I love watching golf, especially the majors, for a couple of reasons I can't really and therefore chose not to play the game. I wouldnt , or probably others know, what's gone on between them.
    It's all conjecture tbf.. What is obvious now imo, is that they can't stand each other, I think that's great, it's an insight beyond the p.c. interview b/s that always goes on,. It's fascinating imo what De Chambeau is trying to achieve, the objective he has. I'm not a believer tbh but maybe this is all part of it, commenting on others, being smart, standoffish. It's happened in other sports, psychological , maybe hes looking for an edge.
    Imo , your only stoking the fire �� with brooks.
    Maybe that's a small reason why Rory had to, eventually!! call Himself up on what he was doing.
    Nobody in the world, gets to that level.......of anything, without being Ultra Competitive, there's very , very , very few naturals,........in any sport!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,488 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

I really like Books, he’s honest and to the point. He is vocal about slow play, he doesn’t talk ****e and he said he doesn’t care about tour comps, majors are his only consideration. He put on a great show two months after knee surgery and a year of wrist problems. Plus, the two days I watch him arrive at the course, he had two of the finest birds with him in the car. He takes no guff and apparently gave DJ a dig when he said something out of line. My man.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭amlinopta

Exactly wrote: »
    Byrne was working with him while his caddy was back home in SA. Covid complications and all that at the time. Think he's just back with his normal caddy now.
    Colin did a couple of radio interviews earlier in the year when he started with Oosthuizen and it sounded like a full time gig. But didn’t seem to last for more than a couple of tournaments.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

volono wrote: »
    I love watching golf, especially the majors, for a couple of reasons I can't really and therefore chose not to play the game. I wouldnt , or probably others know, what's gone on between them.
    It's all conjecture tbf.. What is obvious now imo, is that they can't stand each other, I think that's great, it's an insight beyond the p.c. interview b/s that always goes on,. It's fascinating imo what De Chambeau is trying to achieve, the objective he has. I'm not a believer tbh but maybe this is all part of it, commenting on others, being smart, standoffish. It's happened in other sports, psychological , maybe hes looking for an edge.
    Imo , your only stoking the fire �� with brooks.
    Maybe that's a small reason why Rory had to, eventually!! call Himself up on what he was doing.
    Nobody in the world, gets to that level.......of anything, without being Ultra Competitive, there's very , very , very few naturals,........in any sport!!!
    Koepka called out De Chambeau for slow play and I think also about the spikes he wears damaging greens.

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Koepka called out De Chambeau for slow play and I think also about the spikes he wears damaging greens.

And insinuated that he's 'juicing'

Hard not to think that really

• Registered Users Posts: 38,288 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

How DeChambeau got the nickname the scientist is beyond me. Seems like a really dumb guy in many ways. All the ridic stuff he does on greens, like most players do all that in their heads in 30 seconds.
    I'll give credit as regards trying to come up with ways to price himself but he's clearly went overboard with the distance thing where it's now hurting his game. He doesn't seem to have copped on to that yet or maybe it's a money thing where he's selling loads of merchandise by trying to smash the ball.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,714 ✭✭✭4Ad

Golf is fascinating.
    DeChambeau beefed up and was going to overdrive everything and make a mockery of coures.All gone skywards at the moment, thankfully.
    Collin Morikawa, with no muscle power appears. Wins a major..
    Rory re-appears for 1 tournament, then retreats.
    'Old guy' Mickelson turns up and puts on a fantastic display..
    And Matsuyama also, just so likeable...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement