If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speaker placement & hardware recommedation

Options
  • 20-05-2021 5:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭

Hey gents,
    So i currently have an awesome 7.1.2 setup. with my Denon AVR X4400H. 
    My room layout is such that the fronts, and sides are all positioned fine, its my rear speakers that cause me problems. and by problem I mean my wife moaning at me for having two satellite speakers on stands behind our couch. 
    The current setup is a low ikea couch right up against a large window with the two satellite speakers on stands about 2 ft apart and around a foot each from the middle listening position. 
    We are getting a new couch which will be a little higher and Ive been asked (told) can I find a better place for them. 

My questions, can rear speakers be effective if they are up high, like celling meeting wall location high? 
    or can they be placed wide on the walls, so about 3m-4m apart and still be effective? or am I stuck with an upset wife and speaker stands? 
    If the ceiling or wide wall is a solution, any hardware suggestions? 
    (Pic attached of the room)

Thanks in advance!

Eoin

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 17,276 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

Keoin18 wrote: »
    Hey gents,
    My room layout is such that the fronts, and sides are all positioned fine, its my rear speakers that cause me problems. and by problem I mean my wife moaning at me for having two satellite speakers on stands behind our couch. 
    The current setup is a low ikea couch right up against a large window with the two satellite speakers on stands about 2 ft apart and around a foot each from the middle listening position. 
    We are getting a new couch which will be a little higher and Ive been asked (told) can I find a better place for them. 

My questions, can rear speakers be effective if they are up high, like celling meeting wall location high? 
    or can they be placed wide on the walls, so about 3m-4m apart and still be effective? or am I stuck with an upset wife and speaker stands? 

Thanks in advance!

Eoin
    Hey Keoin18.

I can fully understand were you are coming from..... 

Ideally you do want them around head height when seated and behind you in the most common positioning.
    However I have seen and heard customers use inceiling speakers for rears and it works very well as the audio is firing downwards.

You could also mount speakers up high and face them inwards so the audio is directed into the room. With this you do run the risk of the audio track going over your head and not giving the desired sound.
    You could always get a few friends to hold the speakers up higher and play a movie to see what you think :)

Another possibility would be the like of the Monitor Audio Bronze FX and mount them on the side walls.
    Priced at 399 Euro
    https://euro.richersounds.ie/p-204736-monitor-audio-bronze-fx-black-g6-surround-speakers-per-pair.aspx

Let me know your thoughts.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Keoin18

Hey Keoin18.

Ideally you do want them around head height when seated and behind you in the most common positioning.
    However I have seen and heard customers use inceiling speakers for rears and it works very well as the audio is firing downwards.

You could also mount speakers up high and face them inwards so the audio is directed into the room. With this you do run the risk of the audio track going over your head and not giving the desired sound.
    You could always get a few friends to hold the speakers up higher and play a movie to see what you think :)

Another possibility would be the like of the Monitor Audio Bronze FX and mount them on the side walls.
    Priced at 399 Euro
    https://euro.richersounds.ie/p-204736-monitor-audio-bronze-fx-black-g6-surround-speakers-per-pair.aspx

Thanks for the quick response Kenny,
    So the sides one there are some big curtains there so they’d prob absorb all the sound. Though wife was floating the idea of having more of a blind in that space. Might come back to that.

For the up high suggestion, with the curtains and the rail itself they would be nearly on the roof. Would that work to have two speakers pointing down towards the sitters? Or would they be too high?

Thanks
    Eoin

Hey Keoin18.

Priced at 399 Euro

So the sides one there are some big curtains there so they’d prob absorb all the sound. Though wife was floating the idea of having more of a blind in that space. Might come back to that.

For the up high suggestion, with the curtains and the rail itself they would be nearly on the roof. Would that work to have two speakers pointing down towards the sitters? Or would they be too high?

Thanks
    Eoin
    Hey Eoin.

Roof height might be too high, even if facing into the room.
    The best thing to do if possible is to move the speakers higher (by holding them) and see how it sounds the further away you move them.

Its really is hard for me to give a proper answer on this as there are many ways I have seen home cinema setup in customers homes.
    As you say things like curtains and soft furnishing will have an effect on the sound flow in a room.
    Rear speakers really only product background noise and add to the surround feel so if they are too away the sound can get lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,353 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Hey gents,

Thanks in advance!

Eoin

Just turn up the volume!! :D

blade1 wrote: »
    Hey gents,

Thanks in advance!

Eoin

Just turn up the volume!!  :D
    If only it was that simple Blade1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Keoin18

Hey Keoin18.

Priced at 399 Euro

Thanks
    Eoin
    Hey Eoin.

The best thing to do if possible is to move the speakers higher (by holding them) and see how it sounds the further away you move them.

Its really is hard for me to give a proper answer on this as there are many ways I have seen home cinema setup in customers homes.
    As you say things like curtains and soft furnishing will have an effect on the sound flow in a room.
    Rear speakers really only product background noise and add to the surround feel so if they are too away the sound can get lost.
    Thanks Kenny for the info Kenny,
    Yeah I might try holding them high to test it out though not 100% it'll give the best audio up there.

I can turn up the volume to drown out the wife complaints instead!!!

Thanks guys, appreciate the help

Eoin

Hey Keoin18.

Priced at 399 Euro

Thanks
    Eoin
    Hey Eoin.

Thanks Kenny for the info Kenny,
    Yeah I might try holding them high to test it out though not 100% it'll give the best audio up there.

I can turn up the volume to drown out the wife complaints instead!!!

Thanks guys, appreciate the help

Eoin
    Hey Eoin.

If she's anything like mine she will just get louder too ;)

I moved house in December as it's taken me this long to get the go ahead to cut tracks in the living room wall to mount my rear speakers behind the sofa :)

It can come down to trial and error for positioning of the rears to get the best effect from them.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.