Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Correcting 2021

Options
  • 20-05-2021 7:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭

Just checking if anyone has received word from the SEC re correcting? Still haven't heard back to confirm any dates etc and feels very close to the exams now

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Random sample

Just checking if anyone has received word from the SEC re correcting? Still haven't heard back to confirm any dates etc and feels very close to the exams now

Nothing yet. No dates for conference or anything.

They did release a document saying which subjects are online marking.

I assumed they were waiting for the portal to close, but I feel that’s been closed a while now.

They can hardly be waiting to see how many turn up for exams on the day? Sure people will have other plans by then if they haven’t heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭History Queen

I haven't heardeither and neither have the 6 teachers in my school who correct every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

I’ve received my letter offering me the position of examiner, but no details of the conference since. Contacted the SEC last week or the week before and they said the conference dates haven’t been finalised yet.

*Marking, not correcting, by the way. #pedant

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭am_zarathustra

I actually should change that to marking, my bad.

Seems very late. Haven't heard a thing since they sent the offer letters but maybe it just feels later than usual because the LC is quite late this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

I have marked for many years and never got information te marking at this stage. Obviously I'm not marking English/maths so my exam is a little later. The SEC work off a timetable where info is released piecemeal. I don't know what ye are looking for anyway - when you are at conference - you get marking scheme and sample scripts- obviously you can't get them. You know there is a conference - ring them if you have something on and they will tell you the date and probably end date. Assume you're busy in July.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,111 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Regardless of details re conferences etc., have people heard they have been appointed?
    I usually do JC, so was chancing my arm applying for LC, but I have heard nothing at all back. Should I presume a stress-free July?

spurious wrote: »
    Regardless of details re conferences etc., have people heard they have been appointed?
    I usually do JC, so was chancing my arm applying for LC, but I have heard nothing at all back. Should I presume a stress-free July?

The official response to that will be that they are appointing people right up to the day before the conference. Recruitment is still open on the website.

I’m lucky I switched to leaving cert just before all this started, so I got my reappointment letter whenever they came out. I’d still wonder if they need us all though, there mightn’t be many sitting some subjects.

I’d like to know when my conference is for planning days out, summer camps for the kids. I’ve definitely had that information by May in other years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭History Queen

spurious wrote: »

I haven't got an appointment letter either.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭pandoraj09

I'm not correcting this year. First time in 32 years I'll have 3 months holidays. A friend who will be marking said all the conferences are online. You'll be getting tons of stuff emailed so, marking schemes, sample answers etc etc. Make sure you've plenty of ink in your printers!!

pandoraj09 wrote: »
    I'm not correcting this year. First time in 32 years I'll have 3 months holidays. A friend who will be marking said all the conferences are online. You'll be getting tons of stuff emailed so, marking schemes, sample answers etc etc. Make sure you've plenty of ink in your printers!!

They’ll send all that out in a big brown envelope in the week leading up to the conference, that’s what’s they have done for the orals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

I have marked for many years and never got information te marking at this stage. Obviously I'm not marking English/maths so my exam is a little later. The SEC work off a timetable where info is released piecemeal. I don't know what ye are looking for anyway - when you are at conference - you get marking scheme and sample scripts- obviously you can't get them. You know there is a conference - ring them if you have something on and they will tell you the date and probably end date. Assume you're busy in July.

I'd say it's more to do with appointment than actual dates. Most people if they correct regularly can work out fairly accurately the dates for their conference.

I'd gotten an email at this stage last year outlining the dates of the conference. Maybe it'll arrive this week, I suppose the LC is later this year

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭williaint

A colleague rang the SEC today to enquire about application and they were told all positions have been filled and they'll be put on reserve list. So if you haven't heard yet = reserve list?!

I'm wondering that? They sent me the offer though....I'd just like to know one way or the other. Guess I'll call tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭picturehangup

I was sent an offer in early 2021, which I accepted, but I haven't received details of the conference yet.
    I'm assuming, maybe incorrectly, that this will be online on Teams or Zoom.
    My subject is near the end of the session, so might not hear for another while.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭Dickie10

Do they ever get stuck needing people to mark exams or is there always a reserve list?

They do get stuck sometimes (I know one of my subjects went headhunting retirees to make up the numbers in the past) but I imagine this year, with no junior cycle exams, everything is probably oversubscribed.

The conference dates are on the sec website, I’m not sure when they went up. https://www.examinations.ie/misc-doc/BI-CS-85971578.pdf

Outside of the normal "we are offering you this subject at this level" letter months ago has anyone heard anything from the SEC? It's definitely later than normal now

Outside of the normal "we are offering you this subject at this level" letter months ago has anyone heard anything from the SEC? It's definitely later than normal now

Nope...

I feel like there was a delay in 2019 too though, I remember getting an email with all of the conference dates, similar to the document above.

• Advertisement

I got an email this afternoon thanking me for accepting my appointment and that they’d be sending out letters next week.

Got it too! Glad to at least know!

Did anyone get the letter referred to in the email?

Nah, nothing here but I assume the mess around superintending is taking precedent. The dates of the conference etc was the main thing really. I wonder will they post marking schemes or email them, hard to know which is more secure really.

Nah, nothing here but I assume the mess around superintending is taking precedent. The dates of the conference etc was the main thing really. I wonder will they post marking schemes or email them, hard to know which is more secure really.

They posted them for the orals.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Tiredteach

I applied for leaving cert this year but didn’t even get a letter to say I was on reserve.

A colleague of mine did get told he's on the reserve panel, so I'd say you're out of luck.

I'm still waiting on my letter too, after the email I meantioned last week.

RealJohn wrote: »
    A colleague of mine did get told he's on the reserve panel, so I'd say you're out of luck.

I'm still waiting on my letter too, after the email I meantioned last week.

I wonder are they holding out to see how many actually sit the exams? I don’t think they will need all the usual examiners in my subject, but we’ve all been reappointed. I’m still expecting an email at some stage saying we are not needed!

And nothing again this week…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

Friend told me there is a delay issuing appt letters until some extra payments have been signed off on.

Advertisement