Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Correcting 2021

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

Hard to know how many applied to mark. Everyone had last summer off. Some may not have returned. Given that it’s going to be taxed and mileage isn’t maybe it’s that high to compensate.
    Well one example is hardly indicative of the overall trend, but I mark the same subject at JC as a colleague. I’m one of the more senior examiners and was not surprised to be given higher level leaving cert in my primary subject this year. My colleague only got the standby list at ordinary level in the same subject thozgh, and he’s got a good number of years behind him too, so if that is a general trend, I doubt they’re that short of experienced examiners.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Random sample

My reading of it is if you get 160 papers you will get a pro rata rate for the 10, rather than getting the same bonus as an examiner who gets 150 papers.

Papers will be well down this year with the accredited grades.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

RealJohn wrote: »
    Well one example is hardly indicative of the overall trend, but I mark the same subject at JC as a colleague. I’m one of the more senior examiners and was not surprised to be given higher level leaving cert in my primary subject this year. My colleague only got the standby list at ordinary level in the same subject thozgh, and he’s got a good number of years behind him too, so if that is a general trend, I doubt they’re that short of experienced examiners.

Depends on the subject really. That and I've been marking a long time myself. I've seen countless experienced examiners take a summer off, and then never return.

Depends on the subject really. That and I've been marking a long time myself. I've seen countless experienced examiners take a summer off, and then never return.
    Oh I’m not saying that doesn’t happen. I’m just saying that I’m not sure that many aren’t taking the summer off. Given that last year’s lay-off was involuntary and the last year has been so odd, it’s likely fewer are going to decide not to do it, relatively speaking, compared to when they choose to take a year off and then don’t come back.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭pandoraj09

I've corrected for 32 years. Never knew what 3 months "holidays" was like. Not correcting this year. May go back. Don't think I will. Money was very good though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭am_zarathustra

The move online knocked a few of the older teachers out too, they just didn't like it and didn't see the point in learning, fair enough too!

pandoraj09 wrote: »
    I've corrected for 32 years. Never knew what 3 months "holidays" was like. Not correcting this year. May go back. Don't think I will. Money was very good though.

Jesus, you've done your service there. Would you have seen a change in standard over that time, it's a serious overview. I always wonder why the department aren't interested in people with that kind of service history and their opinions

The move online knocked a few of the older teachers out too, they just didn't like it and didn't see the point in learning, fair enough too!
    Seems odd. It was utterly seamless, in my opinion, and massively cut down on the sort of paperwork and messing around I imagine the older examiners hated.

Seems odd. It was utterly seamless, in my opinion, and massively cut down on the sort of paperwork and messing around I imagine the older examiners hated.

They just didn't come at all, the going online stopped them not the process. I actually think if they'd been shown a video of how easy it was they would have been grand. I think the perception was the issue. We had a good 30% new examiners in a HL LC subject, some of whom had never corrected JC, it was odd actually

I loved the online marking, I hated all the messing with bags and the incomprehensible amount of small bits of plastic everywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Also, it's not everyone, but some people just have rubbish internet so marking online isn't a feasible option for them.

Plenty though would have no interest in using technology outside what they are obliged to use it for, and would keep it to a minimum in the classroom. The idea of sitting at a laptop for 6 hours a day marking is just not appealing to some regardless of how straightforward it is.

The paperwork wouldn't be seen as onerous for anyone doing it year in year out. They know the system.

• Advertisement

The paperwork wouldn't be seen as onerous for anyone doing it year in year out. They know the system.
    I don’t know, I always found the paperwork to be the worst part, and I was doing it a good number of years before I didn’t have to do it anymore.

I do take your point that some people wouldn’t want to spend that much time at the computer though, no matter how seamless it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭History Queen

Well it must vary subject to subject. I marked JC a good few years ago. Applied this year was told I was on standby list then was called last week and asked to mark HL.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

pandoraj09 wrote: »
    I was thinking "absolutely fair play" until I realised how old I am and I've been correcting 26 years. :eek: Would be a very long summer if didn't do something.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭pandoraj09

Jesus, you've done your service there. Would you have seen a change in standard over that time, it's a serious overview. I always wonder why the department aren't interested in people with that kind of service history and their opinions[/QUOT
    The standard has dropped significantly. This year's paper, LCHL Irish, was so easy. Lovely general essay on "Big problems today". I remember a title years ago that roughly went "the lack of equality in the distribution of wealth is the main cause of unrest in today's society".
    The literature questions now resemble Ordinary level eg An maith leat an dán? Tabhair dhá chúis. My 8 year old granddaughter could produce a good answer to that.
    There are 2 long comprehensions on paper 2. Years ago students had to write the answers in their own words but now all they have to do is to copy the sentences from the passage. That "word-matching" alone can give them 70 marks out of 600. In the Oral they have to read one of 5 poems that they have 2 years to prepare for and they can bring in their own copies of the poems with phonetic spellings into the exam. That's 35 marks on a plate for them. Another 5 marks at the start of the oral for saying what their name is etc. So 110 marks for showing no real ability at all. The Aural is the only part that really shows their ability in the language.

Got my appointment letter today. No detail on pay, except for reference to PRD being abolished and 2% increase. Should there have been more detail than that?

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭williaint

Hey everyone! I applied to correct either of my 2 subjects which were examined in the second half of last week...I still haven't heard anything so can I presume I haven't been appointed? Last time I phoned them, they didn't give me a yes / no answer. I just really want to know so I can book a few days away in July if I'm free.

If you’ve applied and heard nothing back by now, short of a bunch of examiners dropping out in your subject, it’s a safe bet you’re free for July.
    No harm in ringing them to be sure though.

Has anyone started yet? Are there less Examiners or less papers per examiner? How has the conference worked online?

Has anyone started yet? Are there less Examiners or less papers per examiner? How has the conference worked online?

I've started... well... we've just finished conference day 2. I haven't corrected LC English before so can't comment on numbers. Conference going grand put in breakout rooms with advising examiner and the other examiners under that advising examiner. Another day of conference tomorrow and start correcting Thursday.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 finicio

We had 3 conference days, finished yesterday. First 20 to correct for this evening. Start properly Tuesday then. way less papers for OL Maths. Roughly a 1/3 of a normal year. And less again for Paper 2

• Advertisement

finicio wrote: »
    We had 3 conference days, finished yesterday. First 20 to correct for this evening. Start properly Tuesday then. way less papers for OL Maths. Roughly a 1/3 of a normal year. And less again for Paper 2

Can I ask, did they clarify was the extra payment due for all papers corrected?

1/3 is mad, your only getting into the swing of things after the first 100

Ya, that was clarified. 150e extra for every 25 papers(pro rata).

I'm assuming less markers this year as we should still get approx 300 papers they said. I think I did 400 two years ago.

The online marking is a lot quicker too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

In 2019 we were promised a premium for taking extra papers (JC) and never got it.

finicio wrote: »
    Ya, that was clarified. 150e extra for every 25 papers(pro rata).

I'm assuming less markers this year as we should still get approx 300 papers they said. I think I did 400 two years ago.

The online marking is a lot quicker too.

God if I still get 300 that's a nice bit of extra pay, starting tomorrow so we will see. I'd have imagined they tried to use correctors with experience given the remote nature of the training, interesting they still couldn't get them. I'd have found it hard my first year doing it online, people are so helpful in person and it's great to meet the group. Hope it doesn't become the norm, though I suppose it would suit a lot of people.

spurious wrote: »
    In 2019 we were promised a premium for taking extra papers (JC) and never got it.

They were very vague about what extra actually meant, deliberately so. That's why the 150 per 25 struck me as odd.

God if I still get 300 that's a nice bit of extra pay, starting tomorrow so we will see. I'd have imagined they tried to use correctors with experience given the remote nature of the training, interesting they still couldn't get them. I'd have found it hard my first year doing it online, people are so helpful in person and it's great to meet the group. Hope it doesn't become the norm, though I suppose it would suit a lot of people.

Ya definitely a nice bit extra. Conference ran well in fairness. Two shortish days Monday and Tuesday and started the first 20 then late Wednesday morning. What are your correcting?

spurious wrote: »
    It was made quite clear to us what exactly that meant. We were given a number (not necessarily the number any examiner already had) and anything marked above that number was subject to the extra. Some people incorrectly thought that any extra scripts taken were subject to the extra but it was made clear at the conference that that was not the case.
    There tends to be a fairly limited number who take extra scripts at all, as far as I know, so I imagine only a small number of experienced examiners actually hit that mark at all in most subjects.

I’m glad to see I was wrong about the €150 per 25 scripts though. I thought people were just misreading the above scenario, but my letter was clear that it was on all scripts, as was suggested in the thread. Never let it be said I won’t admit it when I’m wrong (and needless to say, I’m glad to have been wrong here).

Paper marking for me, but at least that makes it easier to work at my own pace. I hate having to stall til the next set open. (Of course i realise online is quicker and easier but I need to console myself with something).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

Finally got my PFO letter from the SEC

• Advertisement

Advertisement