Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The roadworks near Maam Cross and Oughterard

Options
  • 20-05-2021 9:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,582 ✭✭✭

What is going on there?Are they "rewetting" the bogland as I can see a lot of work off the main highway?

I saw a story today about how they have "rewetted" a bog in some other part of the country and so wonder if that could be an explanation for the artificial ponds that seem to have been made near the road ,as well as a few tracks that seem to lead nowhere with JCBs working away in the middle of the fields.

Has been going on now for a year and a half.Should be a nice stretch when done.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ArtyC

amandstu wrote: »
    What is going on there?Are they "rewetting" the bogland as I can see a lot of work off the main highway?

I saw a story today about how they have "rewetted" a bog in some other part of the country and so wonder if that could be an explanation for the artificial ponds that seem to have been made near the road ,as well as a few tracks that seem to lead nowhere with JCBs working away in the middle of the fields.

Love taking a spin out that side but the longer it goes on the more I’m scratching my head wondering did it need this amount of work and money thrown at it .
    The coast road has gotten even busier and it’s in very bad condition . Fair few accidents on it lately , sad but there will be more. Mixed traffic; work commute , lorries , buses , staycation crowd & cyclists .

• Registered Users Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

amandstu wrote: »

I very much doubt its rewetting. I'd put it down to inefficiency and a bad tender process. Nobody will want to drive out to Connemara because of the delays and badly operated contraflows.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,582 ✭✭✭amandstu

tphase wrote: »
    I hope you're right.
    I got stuck in a some of those jams and it was not caused by local or even in county traffic.
    Cops were nowhere to be seen because traffic management is the responsibility of the contractors.
    It's going to get a lot worse when they start the next set of works between Tullyboy (eastern end of current works) and Oughterard

Woah,this continues right into Oughterard?

How long will that take ?It has been around 18 months already.....:eek:

As mentioned, this was always planned as a long one, with it planned for 70 weeks and starting back in Jan 2020.

As with a lot of things, covid put the schedule in the bin

Be patient, it'll be done soon enough

• Registered Users Posts: 6,871 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

As mentioned, this was always planned as a long one, with it planned for 70 weeks and starting back in Jan 2020.

As with a lot of things, covid put the schedule in the bin

Be patient, it'll be done soon enough

On other similar projects, the existing road or parts of it became a segregated walking/cycling route, do you know if that is the case for this project DaCor?

• Advertisement

Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    On other similar projects, the existing road or parts of it became a segregated walking/cycling route, do you know if that is the case for this project DaCor?

I'm honestly not sure, I haven't been able to find any plans for these works.

What I do know comes from the following

Prep & Test works
    Test trenching was carried out on behalf of Galway County Council and funded by Transport Infrastructure Ireland in advance of construction of the N59 Maam Cross to Bunnakill Road Project. A hand-dug test trench was excavated in a previously known but unprotected road in an area of blanket bog.

The trenches showed that the road, which appears today as a low embankment traversing the bog, is constructed of peat with a thin layer of gravel all that remains of its original surface. It would appear that small stone banks flanked the road on either side. The road is likely to be an early iteration of the main route through central Connemara to the west coast and was in use prior to the early 19th century. The exact date of construction is unknown.

Total cost is 10 million

Also, there's 2 bridges to be built, Maam Cross is to be changed to a staggered junction and peat restoration areas are to be established (no idea what those are). To be fair to the contractors, there's a lot to be done in such a small scheme, in a very sensitive but dangerous (for heavy equipment in a bog I mean) environment and there would be a serious amount of environmental requirements for them to follow.

The prep works for the next section, Bunnakill to Claremount have begun
    553992.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,871 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

I'm honestly not sure, I haven't been able to find any plans for these works.

What I do know comes from the following

Prep & Test works

Total cost is 10 million

Also, there's 2 bridges to be built, Maam Cross is to be changed to a staggered junction and peat restoration areas are to be established (no idea what those are). To be fair to the contractors, there's a lot to be done in such a small scheme, in a very sensitive but dangerous (for heavy equipment in a bog I mean) environment and there would be a serious amount of environmental requirements for them to follow.

The prep works for the next section, Bunnakill to Claremount have begun
    553992.png

Thanks for the reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Pete_Cavan wrote: »

No not this section East of Maam Cross, the greenway will just cross at Bun na Coill / Bunnakill (roughly where ya meet the first set of traffic lights when heading West)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Environmental requirements is the major issue as DaCor points out. The water run off from construction area into surrounding water steams and the lakes is one of the major issues for this project, that is why its a steady as it goes project.

Coming along a bit better now.Anyone know what the big green cages are for?

Some kind of an environmental monitoring unit?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Green Peter

Great job, time to do another stretch.

Advertisement