Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ESRI says we need more "progressive" taxes lol

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Antares35 wrote: »
    Never said otherwise, I was responding to a post that implied they only get welfare plus an increase per child. Just because employed people get it doesn't negate the fact that unemployed also do.

But it can't be counted as an unemployment benefit, next you'll be complaining that unemployed people have eyes and ears

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

next you'll be complaining that unemployed people have eyes and ears

I'll have whatever you're on :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭LawBoy2018

I think any further increases in income tax would lead to mass emigration amongst young people. There are very few reasons to live here at the minute, other than our Irish salaries. Anyone else agree?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,555 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

LawBoy2018 wrote: »
    I think any further increases in income tax would lead to mass emigration amongst young people. There are very few reasons to live here at the minute, other than our Irish salaries. Anyone else agree?

i wouldnt say mass emigration, but possible an increase alright, theres very little keeping young people here, but most economies are in shock at the moment, so you d have to wonder, where would people go to?

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    i wouldnt say mass emigration, but possible an increase alright, theres very little keeping young people here, but most economies are in shock at the moment, so you d have to wonder, where would people go to?

America, Australia, Dubai, Canada, Switzerland, anywhere really. There's nothing for us here bar our careers.

• Advertisement

America, Australia, Dubai, Canada, anywhere really. There's nothing for us here bar our careers.

all of these economies are experiencing issues at the moment, some more so than others

all of these economies are experiencing issues at the moment, some more so than others

Yes but at least they have better weather for the most part! Dublin is completely unaffordable at the minute, the weather is terrible, hooligan teenagers are everywhere, most of our friends have already emigrated, the list goes on.

Yes but at least they have better weather for the most part! Dublin is completely unaffordable at the minute, the weather is terrible, hooligan teenagers are everywhere, most of our friends have already emigrated, the list goes on.

true, certainly is better weather is these countries, id always recommend younger people to experiencing living in other countries, as those opportunities generally dont exist when older. many parts of ireland are now no longer optional for younger people to live in, we ve made a right mess of our property markets. social issues most certainly are on the rise, and this can be directly linked towards all of these issues, including our property issues

true, certainly is better weather is these countries, id always recommend younger people to experiencing living in other countries, as those opportunities generally dont exist when older. many parts of ireland are now no longer optional for younger people to live in, we ve made a right mess of our property markets. social issues most certainly are on the rise, and this can be directly linked towards all of these issues, including our property issues

Our firm is currently pondering whether they'll allow employees to work remotely from other jurisdictions, provided we remain Irish tax resident (gone for less than 180 days/year). If that works out, I am outta here!!

Our firm is currently pondering whether they'll allow employees to work remotely from other jurisdictions, provided we remain Irish tax resident (gone for less than 180 days/year). If that works out, I am outta here!!

go for it, it would be a great experience, and great craic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

I wish revenue would take a close look at our "influencer" industry in the next couple of years. The begging of line for stuff...not one of them seem to know how to use google. All the freebie they are getting for a picture on instagram etc. Yet they were the 1st into Brown Thomas and kildare village after lockdown. No way are these people accounting for half the stuff. Yet its normal plebs like you and me end up payong for their lifestyle

I wish revenue would take a close look at our "influencer" industry in the next couple of years. The begging of line for stuff...not one of them seem to know how to use google. All the freebie they are getting for a picture on instagram etc. Yet they were the 1st into Brown Thomas and kildare village after lockdown. No way are these people accounting for half the stuff. Yet its normal plebs like you and me end up payong for their lifestyle

...or are younger generations struggling to make a living in their low paid precarious jobs? how are we paying for their lifestyle?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Geuze wrote: »
    People who earn over 35/36k face 48.5% marginal tax rate.

We already have really high marginal income tax rates on average workers.

Ireland is very unusual, in that the top marginal income rate starts very, very early, at 35/36k.

The top income tax rate in Germany is 45%, but it starts at 270k.

Anybody calling for even higher income taxes must acknowledge this.

The issue in Ireland is that a million earners pay virtually nothing.

It sounds mean, it doesn't sound nice, but it's the truth.

COVID showed it, thousands lost work, income tax receipts hardly budged.

As I have said over and over, my parents are a good example:
    • They pay 8%-10% direct income taxes on 50k approx
    • two medical cards
    • two FTP
    • free TV licence
    • 35 pm off elec / 420 pa

They have 300k in the bank, 600k assets.

Just think about that, we are giving free electricity to people like my parents, and other people who are millionaires!!!!

ending the policy of spoiling the retired would be a bigger achievement than getting a million lower paid earners to pay more tax

almost all demographics support the policy of spoiling pensioners in this country , the crash taught us that , students marched along side pensioners who demanded their medical cards back despite earning over 600 quid per week

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    ending the policy of spoiling the retired would be a bigger achievement than getting a million lower paid earners to pay more tax

almost all demographics support the policy of spoiling pensioners in this country , the crash taught us that , students marched along side pensioners who demanded their medical cards back despite earning over 600 quid per week

.....thank god we ve figured out how to prevent the aging process!

.....thank god we ve figured out how to prevent the aging process!

you have an opinion on everything

you have an opinion on everything

i even have opinions on opinions

B2021M wrote: »
    Ok but maybe they dont earn enough to pay support of any meaningful amount?

Let's try and get something anyway instead of saying we can't do it because poor we Johnny doesn't want the world to know he shagged homely Mary

We'd be back to the 80s where everything was black economy, half the workforce signing on a 3 day week but working the five to avoid tax,

its very unhealthy for social cohesion to have one group who are told they are providers and it is their job to sit quietly and keep milking while another group are designated as recipients with no responsibilities for anything , even family planning

eventually the gatherer class will head off to new hunting grounds

its very unhealthy for social cohesion to have one group who are told they are providers and it is their job to sit quietly and keep milking while another group are designated as recipients with no responsibilities for anything , even family planning

eventually the gatherer class will head off to new hunting grounds

say wha?

• Advertisement

...or are younger generations struggling to make a living in their low paid precarious jobs? how are we paying for their lifestyle?

Business are struggling. Yet these are getting gifted everything from discounted hotel stays free meals out, free haircuts and beauty works,the this crack of "collabs" for interiors and cars the list goes on, free new nurseries everytime they have a child. If you are not familar with the insta hun world your eyes would be open v fast if you took a look at the pages.How do the companies claw back giving gifted items to these huns you and me if we purchase anything from these companies. I have friends still fightening to get money from hotels for weddings that didnt go ahead due to covid yet same hotels are "gifting" stays to people. Some of the bigger irish huns would charge 3 to 5k to plug a product on their page. Would be v interesting to see how much income etc some of them are declaring

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭enricoh

Business are struggling. Yet these are getting gifted everything from discounted hotel stays free meals out, free haircuts and beauty works,the this crack of "collabs" for interiors and cars the list goes on, free new nurseries everytime they have a child. If you are not familar with the insta hun world your eyes would be open v fast if you took a look at the pages.How do the companies claw back giving gifted items to these huns you and me if we purchase anything from these companies. I have friends still fightening to get money from hotels for weddings that didnt go ahead due to covid yet same hotels are "gifting" stays to people. Some of the bigger irish huns would charge 3 to 5k to plug a product on their page. Would be v interesting to see how much income etc some of them are declaring

If someone can get up to 5 grand to plug something on social media fair play to them I say. If any business owners are reading this pm me and we can crunch the numbers!

...these things arent exactly for free, 'influencing' is just an extension of the marketing and advertisement sectors, 'influencers' receive payment via 'gifts'. im sorry to tell you but, marketing and advertisement has been around long before our births, and those working for these sectors have nearly always received payment in one way or another, some via 'gifts'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭KyussB

ESRI:
    An increase in taxes on income, consumption and property may be needed to fund future public spending...
    https://twitter.com/barratree/status/1395751992954429442

This is bad economics, taxes do not fund public spending. The ESRI has gotten a very basic part of macroeconomics wrong - and should be treated as a partisan institute, not a neutral one.

The structure of the Euro, the past policies of the ECB (not present ones), and the unenforceable fiscal policies of the EU may try to make it 'look' different - but the reality is, in a fiat currency taxes do not fund government spending.

Yes im well aware of marketing thank you but influencing is a joke. If anything amoungst my group of friends and work collegues people are refusing to deal with certain companies and products due to the overuse of influnecers. Example 1 spotlight teath whitening an irish company and the worse is all these huns ahave bonds and veneers on their teeth so faulty advertising right there.Any makeup costmestic post are heavily photoshopped and filtered. Every week boxes lands to them. For starters they amount of vat the state are missing out on just there compared to you and me buying. The thing is any hotel stays or anything we purchase for ourselves we pay from our hard earned money. They do not plug or give a shout out to anyone without been paid. Out hospitality industry on its knees through no fault of their own begging for state aid to keep family businesses going. It would be a good help if they people actually put their hands on their pockets and paid for a meal a bit more often Questions have to be asked when you see these people then dropping over 1000 euro in 1 go in BTs where is the money coming from. Are their Income tax declarations, BIK and gift tax status etc up to date and give a true and honest reflection. Ive no problem with the odd gifts now and then but its the never paying and constant begging for stuff that just taking the p***

Yes im well aware of marketing thank you but influencing is a joke. If anything amoungst my group of friends and work collegues people are refusing to deal with certain companies and products due to the overuse of influnecers. Example 1 spotlight teath whitening an irish company and the worse is all these huns ahave bonds and veneers on their teeth so faulty advertising right there.Any makeup costmestic post are heavily photoshopped and filtered. Every week boxes lands to them. For starters they amount of vat the state are missing out on just there compared to you and me buying. The thing is any hotel stays or anything we purchase for ourselves we pay from our hard earned money. They do not plug or give a shout out to anyone without been paid. Out hospitality industry on its knees through no fault of their own begging for state aid to keep family businesses going. It would be a good help if they people actually put their hands on their pockets and paid for a meal a bit more often Questions have to be asked when you see these people then dropping over 1000 euro in 1 go in BTs where is the money coming from. Are their Income tax declarations, BIK and gift tax status etc up to date and give a true and honest reflection. Ive no problem with the odd gifts now and then but its the never paying and constant begging for stuff that just taking the p***

unfortunately, this is simply the world of marketing and advertisement, its a world where morals and ethics are effectively none existing, they never truly were in those sectors, if you dont like these brands, for whatever reasons, dont use them.

its also important to except, tax avoidance has been glorified in recent times, it still is, we openly accept this, even from major brands such as apple etc.

yes our hospitality sectors are in bits, but so to are many others, and yes, we all should be supporting as much as we possible can, but many younger generations truly are in serious trouble, many available jobs for them are of low waged, and extremely precarious, marketing and advertisement is potentially a very good method of them filling these gaps, i.e. its the game not the people

[yes our hospitality sectors are in bits, but so to are many others, and yes, we all should be supporting as much as we possible can, but many younger generations truly are in serious trouble, many available jobs for them are of low waged, and extremely precarious, marketing and advertisement is potentially a very good method of them filling these gaps, i.e. its the game not the people[/quote]

The thing is though its the low wage sectors such as hair & beauty, hospitality they are taking advantage of a lot of the times with the freebie. And in some of the irish examples some are highly educated in well paying circles. Id have more respect for aldi giving a food drop to a front line worker than a qualified solicitor for example. There are even GPs getting in on it

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭B2021M

unfortunately, this is simply the world of marketing and advertisement, its a world where morals and ethics are effectively none existing, they never truly were in those sectors, if you dont like these brands, for whatever reasons, dont use them.

its also important to except, tax avoidance has been glorified in recent times, it still is, we openly accept this, even from major brands such as apple etc.

yes our hospitality sectors are in bits, but so to are many others, and yes, we all should be supporting as much as we possible can, but many younger generations truly are in serious trouble, many available jobs for them are of low waged, and extremely precarious, marketing and advertisement is potentially a very good method of them filling these gaps, i.e. its the game not the people

Tax avoidance is not tax evasion

The thing is though its the low wage sector they are taking advantage of a lot of the times with the freebie. And in some of the irish examples some are highly educated in well paying circles. Id have more respect for aldi giving a food drop to a front line worker than a qualified solicitor for example

oh i hear you, advertisement and marketing is a messy game, again, there truly is no morals or ethics in the industry, it has a tendency to attract personalities that simply dont give a sh1t, but i can see many younger people flocking to it for many various reasons. social media is playing to our inner ego, it promotes such selfish and narcissistic behaviors, its a rotten game really

• Advertisement

B2021M wrote: »
    Tax avoidance is not tax evasion

....the point being, we cant keep playing this game, we re all starting to struggle to run our economies and societies effectively with so much of it occurring, tax avoidance is largely celebrated and encouraged, particularly in relation to wealth

Advertisement