Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Florida: Where to spend 2nd relaxing week after week in Orlando?

Options
  • 21-05-2021 12:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭

Hi all!

So - Big family holiday, probably the last one. My family and I are travelling, consists of 4 couples - 3 in their 20s and their 3 respective partners. Then our parents who are both 50. Group of 8 people.

We will fly into Orlando MCO from Dublin approx Tues 27th December 2021. (side issue: having trouble getting any direct from dublin/belfast, virgin Atlantic via heathrow looks best option)

Our first week will be spent revisiting the parks after coming 7/8 years ago as kids. That will be long, active days.
    Previously on a few occasions we have driven to Miami, Key West, Clearwater, to name a few in Florida.

Accom wise - for 8 people we have considered the villa with a pool option, however we did this previously and most were quite far out from I Drive and park areas, in Kissimee etc. Previously stayed @ Hilton Orlando, Waldorf astoria and JW Marriott, Bonnet creek. Looking most likely hotels but it is expensive and availability seems to be limited already on Booking.com

Cars - I am not sure whether we will rent one big vehicle or rent 2 between 8 of us. At night we will be taking taxis anyway to restaurants/bars.

For the second week, for 4/5 days we would like a beach/relaxing holiday near the coast. I will do my research, but Key West was quite a drive, Fort Lauderdale sprung to mind - however I am not sure if it is the same place it was years ago? Miami was lovely but we don't like cities, it was very much a celebrity hideout as we stayed in South Beach.

What the group likes - warm/hot weather, great choice of restaurants, bars (not big drinkers or partiers), luxurious/4 star+ accommodation or resorts. Beach would be great but pool at accom is fine. We are all quite fit and healthy. Maybe golf for the 3 boys but not a deal breaker.

We will probably depart Orlando for Dublin on approx Sun 9th January 2022, so my guess is we will travel back up to Orlando for 1/2 nights before we leave. However this is not a given, we could fly out from somewhere else, it's just getting flights with minimum stopovers and journey duration that's the problem from Ireland.

TO SUM ALL OF THAT UP: 8 people, 1st week in Orlando at parks, 2nd week we need help choosing a destination that fits - beach/coast, relaxation/luxury within driving distance of Orlando.

Thank you in advance, this forum has been a great help and inspiration in planning memorable family holidays over the years.

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

My wife and I done something similar a couple of years ago.

spent a week in Orlando with her Sister, her husband and kids and then the second week we just went on a road trip and stayed in dive motels in cool spots.

Have you considered seeing some other states? Savannah in Georgia was such a cool place to see, and doing some of the ghost tours in the evenings was amazing.

South Carolina was incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Greenlights16

Had an old boss who spent a lot of time in hillhead island, I think that's Carolina somewhere? Heard it's very beautiful.

thanks for the insight. I think the travelling would be great, but on previous trips to America we spent a lot of time flying and driving long distances.

This time around we are trying to keep it to a minimum with 8 people. Plus, 3 out of 4 couples are in their 20s, so the parks should still be a big attraction.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,707 ✭✭✭eire4

I would recommend heading down to the Florida Keys. I spent a long weekend there a few years ago based out of Key West and enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭towger

Clearwater is quite close and beach is beautiful. Go to Busch Gardens en route.

Advertisement