Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GSM Booster

Options
  • 21-05-2021 12:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭

Quick question for those in the know; my mother is tearing her hair out about the coverage in one part of her house, so I want to get a GSM booster for her.

She's on Tesco mobile who I know piggyback on 3.

She doesn't need data to be any good because she has WiFi, so I only need the booster for calls. 3 don't have a 2G network but I know years ago they were using someone else's 2G network to increase coverage.

Do I need to get a booster that will do 2G & 3G, or just 3G?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,558 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

seamus wrote: »

900 MHz repeater

legal repeaters here - https://www.stelladoradus.com/product-category/home-mobile-signal-boosters/

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭babelfish1990

Quick question for those in the know; my mother is tearing her hair out about the coverage in one part of her house, so I want to get a GSM booster for her.

She's on Tesco mobile who I know piggyback on 3.

She doesn't need data to be any good because she has WiFi, so I only need the booster for calls. 3 don't have a 2G network but I know years ago they were using someone else's 2G network to increase coverage.

GSM Boosters are an expensive and outdated way of fixing indoor coverage problems. You would need a minimum of 2G/3G to support voice.

Your mother would be better advised to move to a network that offers WiFi Calling. Eir offer full WiFi Calling on all their plans (including on their GoMo brand), and Vodafone offer a limited version only on bill-pay plans, that doesn't handle text messages or roaming.

Most new Smart phones support WiFi calling (Android & iPhone), but you will need to check with your Operator that the handset is supported. WiFi calling allows you to manage your own indoor coverage. (Three and their re-sellers do not support WiFi Calling)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Didn't realise that was a thing. eir are a big pile of sh1te as a company and Vodafone are insanely expensive, but I might be able to convince her to give eir a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭babelfish1990

I might be able to convince her to give eir a go.
    If your mother is already using Eir for her Broadband, she can add "unlimited" mobile SIM-only for €9.99 per month. Just make sure that her handset is compatible - and if Android, it needs to be a model that is supported by Eir, with their firmware loaded. Of course, if you buy the handset from them, it will support WiFi Calling out-of-the-box. You might also find that Eir don't have the coverage blackspot that she currently has with Three/Tesco - in which case she may not even require WiFi Calling.

Advertisement