Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Monitor Replacement

Options
  • 21-05-2021 2:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭

Just looking for some monitor advice.
    I have a Samsung G7 27" Monitor and its excellent but it doesn't fit my desk as the stand depth is huge.

I have someone interested in it, so I'm thinking of moving it on and getting a replacement that fits better.
    I'd like to get another 27" 1440p 144hz monitor but the prices seem higher than I remember. I was thinking of selling mine for 250-300 but I can't even see a replacement on adverts at that price.
    I'm not looking for something better but if its similar I'd be happy.
    Any recommendations would be welcomed as I really don't know that much on monitors makes.

Would there be a big difference going back to 1080p?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,648 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Just looking for some monitor advice.
    I have a Samsung G7 27" Monitor and its excellent but it doesn't fit my desk as the stand depth is huge.

I have someone interested in it, so I'm thinking of moving it on and getting a replacement that fits better.
    I'd like to get another 27" 1440p 144hz monitor but the prices seem higher than I remember. I was thinking of selling mine for 250-300 but I can't even see a replacement on adverts at that price.
    I'm not looking for something better but if its similar I'd be happy.
    Any recommendations would be welcomed as I really don't know that much on monitors makes.

Would there be a big difference going back to 1080p?

Would you not be better off getting a vesa mount for your desk if you're happy out with the monitor as it is?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭thecomedian

Would you not be better off getting a vesa mount for your desk if you're happy out with the monitor as it is?

It is a possibility but I don't trust the slim board at the back (it's an Ikea Unit/desk), I could put in grounds but its not ideal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

I agree with the monitor arm solution. Save you a lot of money. Sure give us a picture of how much slack that your desk has. If it's not made of sawdust and glue it'll most likely hold.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,648 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

It is a possibility but I don't trust the slim board at the back (it's an Ikea Unit/desk), I could put in grounds but its not ideal.

A wooden block or two each side of the clamp should help alleviate any pressure on the desk itself, a lot of monitors will probably have a similar enough stand to the g7, or else you could look at something like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B089GW8YJK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_BXSV56RT4KSKBJ66S096?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

• Registered Users Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭Cordell

Even if it's made out of sawdust and glue (which most likely is) it will hold, after all it hold the monitor now just fine, right?
    I have a ~8kg 32" monitor on this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Newstar-FPMA-D860BLACK-Stylish-Monitor-Adjustable/dp/B07H149NRN mounted on a chipboard desk with no issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭thecomedian

A wooden block or two each side of the clamp should help alleviate any pressure on the desk itself, a lot of monitors will probably have a similar enough stand to the g7, or else you could look at something like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B089GW8YJK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_BXSV56RT4KSKBJ66S096?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Sorry I think I misunderstood you the first time. I thought it was mounting unto the back of the unit itself.
    But what you have linked is perfect thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

I can personally recommend https://www.amazon.co.uk/VonHaus-Monitor-Mounts-Single-Arm-Black/dp/B0119NXXYQ

Using 2 of these for about 5 years now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭Cordell

I also have same style holding 2 25" monitors on a chipboard desk, again, no issues whatsoever. The mount is much stronger than it looks, there is no way you will break the desk top no matter what monitor you use.

Advertisement