Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Open backed headphones for PC music/media some gaming.

Options
  • 21-05-2021 5:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭

Looking to get a pair of open back headphones for PC main use will be music/media while using PC with a bit of gaming. I have a pair of Sennheiser HD4.5 I'm using wired they sound great but aren't comfortable after an hour or so as they pinch my ear on the arm of my glasses. They're also pretty warm.

Short list is
    Sennheiser HD599. SE versions are €108 from amazon Spain or regular version for €160 from amazon Germany. I do quite like the retro look of the cream and brown.
    Philips SHP9500 €90 from US amazon
    Philips Fidelio X2HR/00 for €150
    or probably the best option SENNHEISER HD 58X from Drop for €152 but I'm likely to get stung for another €50 in VAT and fees on that. It's a bit more than I want to spend really prefer to keep the budget close to €100.

I want the headphones first but I'm also looking for a DAC/amp to drive a pair of Wharfedale DX1's and the headphones. Topping MX 3 seems to be best budget option, has optical/coaxial and subwoofer out the computer is in living room so want to use them as room speakers too. Loxjie-a30 seems to be highly recommended as a speaker amp but isn't as good for headphones.

DAC on my new computer does seem ok It's certainly much better able to drive my current Sennheiser's than my laptop or phone. Budget option is the SMSL SA 50 just to drive the speakers and pick up a DAC down the line. Is there an other budget amp with headphone output I could consider?

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

I don't have any hands on with the headphones you've listed above.

But in terms of open backs in that price range, I can't recommend the AKG K712 pros highly enough. They really do punch above their weight.

Work really well for gaming also as there's a good deal of width to the soundstage and instrument separation is really good.

In terms of comfort, no complaints. The pads are light and decently sized.

For DAC/Amp, any of the Topping stuff is a buy for me. Just check it has the features you need and you should be good to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,370 ✭✭✭xtal191

After weeks of research I upgraded from 598se, which would be very similar to the 599, to the Sennhesier 560S and I honestly couldn't be happier.
    I was dead set on the 58X but the 560S can be got on Amazon Germany for around €160 https://www.amazon.de/dp/B08HNFV61M?tag=haggle-web-de-21&linkCode=osi&th=1&psc=1&language=en_GB

Check out some reviews of them, they'd be more in line with Sennhesiers 600 series of headphones than the 500 series

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭Ryath

I don't have any hands on with the headphones you've listed above.

But in terms of open backs in that price range, I can't recommend the AKG K712 pros highly enough. They really do punch above their weight.

Work really well for gaming also as there's a good deal of width to the soundstage and instrument separation is really good.

In terms of comfort, no complaints. The pads are light and decently sized.

For DAC/Amp, any of the Topping stuff is a buy for me. Just check it has the features you need and you should be good to go.

I did look at them but they are over budget €240 is as cheap as I can find them. Did consider the AKG 702's but the other ones I've considered generally seem to have the edge on them. Topping MX 3 does seem best budget option alright. I'll get headphones first anyway and decide.
    xtal191 wrote: »
    After weeks of research I upgraded from 598se, which would be very similar to the 599, to the Sennhesier 560S and I honestly couldn't be happier.
    I was dead set on the 58X but the 560S can be got on Amazon Germany for around €160 https://www.amazon.de/dp/B08HNFV61M?tag=haggle-web-de-21&linkCode=osi&th=1&psc=1&language=en_GB

Check out some reviews of them, they'd be more in line with Sennhesiers 600 series of headphones than the 500 series

Yea 599s seem pretty much the same as the 598's. 560S do look good alright more neutral sounding and wider soundstage. Starting to push the budget a bit though and I'd need to spend another bit to buy a shorter cable. They aren't much more than the regular HD599's but the HD599 SE's are a lot cheaper and as mush as I like the cream and brown I'd find it hard to justify the extra €50 for them.

I'm going square eyed looking at rtings and reading review's on other forums. Doesn't help when comparing headphones two people can say opposite things! But headphones can be very subjective and personal.

The cheapest Philips SHP9500 are tempting at the price. Non proprietary 3.5mm cable is a plus if I want to add a mic and the reviews in general are very positive that they are excellent for the price. The 599's generally seem to edge them though especially on comfort though the odd person says other wise. Think I'll discount them though.

So HD599 SE @ €108 or the HD560S @ €171? It's a good chunk extra for the 560S that goes a way to paying for a speaker amp.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭shootermacg

https://www.amazon.com/Philips-SHP9500S-Precision-Over-ear-Headphones

Same as the X2s but a lot less weight, and more comfortable. The x2s are seriously heavy, I have both and haven't bothered with the X2s since I got the SHPs.

https://www.amazon.com/Philips-SHP9500S-Precision-Over-ear-Headphones

Same as the X2s but a lot less weight, and more comfortable. The x2s are seriously heavy, I have both and haven't bothered with the X2s since I got the SHPs.

Your link isn't working for me assume you mean these?
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ENMK1DW/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?

Had them on my shortlist and linked in OP. Had seen they compare very favorably to the X2's Think I've discounted them in favour of the HD599 though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Ryath wrote: »
    Your link isn't working for me assume you mean these?
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ENMK1DW/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?

Had them on my shortlist and linked in OP. Had seen they compare very favorably to the X2's Think I've discounted them in favour of the HD599 though.

if you're goiing for the HD599s, then why not the HD6XX? II think they're preetty cheap on Drop.com

if you're goiing for the HD599s, then why not the HD6XX? II think they're preetty cheap on Drop.com

They work out close to €250 after import fees etc

The HD 559 SE are only €110 on amazon Spain that's a long way from even the 58X on Drop which would cost about €200 with customs I could get lucky and not get charged VAT at €150 but more than likely they'd get caught for it.

HD 560S are tempting me at €168 from amazon.de the 599 SE's had gone back up in price and I was nearly going to order them. They've dropped again though so I don't think I'm going to beat them for value. I'll mull over it for a bit longer but think I'll just order them this evening.

Went with the the HD 599 SE just too tempting at the price. Was nearly going to go for the 560S but think I would need the amp to get the best out of them? PC on board audio does seem strong enough. My Sennheiser HD 4.5 are more than loud enough at just 22-23% volume but they are only 18 Ohm.

Got to decide now do I just get the SMSL SA 50 to drive my speakers and just use the pc headphone output or to spend a bit more to get a DAC speaker/headphone amp combo.

I'm not entirely happy with new new pc fans are running very loud and the case get's pretty hot gaming. I can't hear it with my closed backs but doubt that will be case with the open backs. It was an OEM prebuilt that I got a great deal on though so I am just considering taking the graphics card out of it and building something better. A motherboard with good support for onboard audio would be a priority.

You'll be fine just using your motherboard to drive the 599SE, they don't need an amp/dac

• Advertisement

Ordered Saturday came Monday morning. Shipped from UK even though I ordered from amazon Spain!

They are amazing the openness/slightly empty sound was a bit weird at first but once I got used to that the sound and clarity is amazing. I'm hearing little details in songs I thought I new quite well. Extremely comfortable to.
    Making me wonder just how good the 560S would have been!
    xtal191 wrote: »
    You'll be fine just using your motherboard to drive the 599SE, they don't need an amp/dac

They're actually easier drive with the pc than the HD 4.5 I have. The 4.5 sensitivity must be pretty low. I still need to drive my speakers though so at the very least need an amp, happy to spend a bit more get something a bit more future proof if I ever decide to use it elsewhere in the house. Would like a sub out and optical/co-ax input would be a plus and if I can improve on the DAC and headphone amp. I may yet get the HD 560s or a pair from Drop and save the HD599's for my phone.

Space is tight I need something that can sit on top of desktop or the shelf above my monitor. It's only 29.5cm deep though so a full size amp won't fit.

Topping MX3 is leading the options, the Loxjie A30 does look good. Little dearer though and availability is an issue. The SMSL options in that range don't seem to be as well thought of. Don't know if I'm missing any. Denon PMA60 would be nice but it's a bit over budget @ £500!

Advertisement