Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A question for the vintage rifle shooters here

Options
  • 21-05-2021 8:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi folks,
    As far as the vintage rifle and ammo market goes in this country (I'm thinking pre-1950 stuff), what patterns and calibers are easiest to obtain in this part of the world? Back when I lived stateside you could get your hands on a Springfield 03 or even something more exotic like an Arisaka T99 at a gun local show ... but I'm sure the market's different here. I'd be curious to know what stuff is commonly stocked here, what dealers would be good to look up, etc.

I'm based in the Dublin area.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

Have a look here -

Ammunition
    https://www.gunshop.ie/Centerfire-Rifle-Ammunition-c36865571

Rifles
    Vintage stuff as ex military comes up for sale here every so often. There are members who own and shoot old military rifles such as 303 Enfields - various models, Swiss K31, Mausers in various incarnations and then there are 30 cal carbines used in various competitions as well as centre fire lever actions (mostly new productions but theres bound to be old boys out there). I personally handled a M1 Garand about 9/10 years back in the gun room of a RFD (along side an M1) but there was an issue with the licensing at the time (can't remember if it was in the original 30-06 or a licenced version in 7.62 Nato). Semi auto centre fires are licensable here, there are more experienced members to talk you through that.

By the way how old do you want to get, I shoot two calibres- one is 115 years old and the other 98 years young, the 30-06 and .270. If you want a bit of nostalgia theres a few guns knocking around from either side of the 1950s that will still shoot the pants off some of the new kids on the block with either venerable calibre.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 hughes.90

By the way how old do you want to get

Preferably nothing pre-smokeless, as I've heard in another thread that getting your hands on BP, even in cartridge form, is a bit of a run-around here. Was thinking of maybe a .303 British or a 6.5 Carcano, as I've heard both of those are below the resricted caliber limit here (so no 7.92 Mausers unless you want a special license). Actually a Carcano M91 or M38 has been on my wishlist for a long time, but I dunno if that's too exotic for the market here?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭LIFFY FISHING

Patrick OMahony firearms dealer has those rifles gor sale that you are looking for .

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Uinseann_16

Swedish Mauser's in 6.5x55 are an option ammo has more variety than most old military calibers
    30-06 is another great caliber

Advertisement