Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread No 2 - Read OP before posting

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

Strazdas wrote: »
    Looks like there are big shipments incoming in the next week :

Professor Brian MacCraith said between 23 June and 30 June there will be three major deliveries each greater than 300,000 doses, the largest since the vaccination programme began.

He said: "Two of the major deliveries are Pfizer, one of them 317,000 and the other 318,000, and the other is 300,000 from AstraZeneca, which will be very important in terms of the accelerated dose interval for AstraZeneca from 12 weeks to 8 weeks."

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/0619/1229072-coronavirus-ireland/

To the experts here, is this as predicted or a big increase in fact?

So if 20s might start late July are we expecting vast majority of 30s to have gotten first vaccine by end of July?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭embraer170

robinbird wrote: »

Just for comparison. Germany made vaccinations available to all adults from end of May. They are now offering them to children because of lack of uptake.
    France opened up vaccines to all from June 7th.

Not sure what Germany this is referring to?!

While anyone can in theory be vaccinated, actual access to vaccines is still quite difficult. The very motivated young people are calling lots of GPs and finding something, but many many are still waiting. The fact that the vaccine centres will almost only be doing second doses in June and most of July is also causing a lot of frustration.

Definitely still a situation of more demand than supply.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

I've seen a few posts on Social Media, Imgur being one of them relating to Germany. Lots of people are getting turned away and those who can get a date, are talking 6 to 8 weeks out. Not the type of thing you'd see reported on unless you read on German media directly I would think.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭robinbird

Wolf359f wrote: »
    I don't think your figures are accurate.
    Only about 188k HCW's received AZ and cohort 4/7 was paused with AZ after about 60k doses.

According to the the ECDC Ireland has now received 3.8 million vaccines of which it has distributed to date 3.1 million.

So we have 700,000 vaccines sitting in storage. This is now confirmed.
    In addition we will be getting well over a million vaccines delivered next week alone. Confirmed
    Plan is to administer only 350,000 next week due to capacity issues.

In relation to AZ 200,000 second jabs were administered in last two weeks
    So the maximum number of AZ second doses left can't be more than 250,000.
    We are getting 300,000 AZ delivered next week alone.
    Yet the HSE has released a statement saying it hopes to have AZ second doses administered by the week of July 19th next if they get a delivery that week.
    A blatant lie.

Can we please end this ridiculous narrative that the reason for the slowness of the rollout is supply. It is not.
    Next week we will have approx One million 500 thousand unused vaccine doses sitting in storage.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,884 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

According to the the ECDC Ireland has now received 3.8 million vaccines of which it has distributed to date 3.1 million.

So we have 700,000 vaccines sitting in storage. This is now confirmed.
    In addition we will be getting at least 940,000 vaccines delivered next week
    If we administer only 300,000 next week we will have at least a million vaccine doses sitting in storage.

In relation to AZ 200,000 second jabs were administered in last two weeks
    So the maximum number of AZ second doses left can't be more than 250,000.
    We are getting 300,000 AZ delivered next week alone.
    Yet the HSE has released a statement saying it hopes to have AZ second doses administer by the week of July 19th next if they get a delivery that week.
    A blatant lie.

Can we please end this ridiculous narrative that the reason for the slowness of the rollout is supply. It is now. Next week we will have approx 1 million 350,000 vaccine doses sitting in storage.

Not sure why you are quoting me, I was just correcting you that not all HCW's and not all Cohort 4 received AZ.

Your figures are al over the place, we have administered more than 3.1mil. 3.4mil quoted there.

Please show me where we're getting 940k vaccine doses delivered next week?
    God I'd love if that was true!
    Where the **** are you getting your figures from?

• Advertisement

Not sure why you are quoting me, I was just correcting you that not all HCW's and not all Cohort 4 received AZ.

Your figures are al over the place, we have administered more than 3.1mil. 3.4mil quoted there.

Please show me where we're getting 940k vaccine doses delivered next week?
    God I'd love if that was true!
    Where the **** are you getting your figures from?

Was using your figures to estimate how many AZ second doses are left to be administered in order to challenge HSE claim that it wouldn't have enough for second doses till week of July 19th.

As of June 15th 3.8 million delivered and 3.1 administered according to ECDC.
    The 3.4 administered according to HSE is from June 19th so that may account for the discrepancy.

Confirmed deliveries next week are 635,000 Pfizer and 300,000 AZ.
    There will also be Moderna and Jansen deliveries in addition to this.

So if we administer 350,000 next week we will still have an unused stockpile of well over a million doses at the end of June.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,884 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

As of June 15th 3.8 million delivered and 3.1 administered according to ECDC.
    The 3.4 administered according to HSE is from June 19th so that may account for the discrepancy.

Confirmed deliveries next week are 635,000 Pfizer and 300,000 AZ.
    There will also be Moderna and Jansen deliveries in addition to this.

So if we administer 350,000 next week we will still have an unused stockpile of well over a million doses at the end of June.

Please show me where 635,000 Pfizer next week is confirmed. If it's confirmed show me a link, same for the AZ delivery. Where are you getting those figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Mark1916

Please show me where 635,000 Pfizer next week is confirmed. If it's confirmed show me a link, same for the AZ delivery. Where are you getting those figures.

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/0619/1229072-coronavirus-ireland/

Here I think?

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭tfeldi

Family that I have spoken to are keeping an eye on the registration portal of their local MVC even though they are already vaccinated. They regularly see available slots that only get booked after several hours.

embraer170 wrote: »
    Not sure what Germany this is referring to?!

While anyone can in theory be vaccinated, actual access to vaccines is still quite difficult. The very motivated young people are calling lots of GPs and finding something, but many many are still waiting. The fact that the vaccine centres will almost only be doing second doses in June and most of July is also causing a lot of frustration.

Definitely still a situation of more demand than supply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

If I was to guess I'd say they might go with blended learning, purely because it'll probably move that way eventually anyway. No idea though
    For big classes, I think DCU are planning to have live lectures with presumably smaller audiences for anyone who wants to attend, but these lectures will be recorded and uploaded. Theoretically, it saves doing the lecture twice, but I'd far prefer to record a good slides video version and do the lecture separately. Not least because it gives students the chance to look at the material in advance.
    Smaller classes will probably go ahead in person.
    Other unis probably similar.

But yeah, things will move to a much more blended approach long term.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭embraer170

tfeldi wrote: »
    Family that I have spoken to are keeping an eye on the registration portal of their local MVC even though they are already vaccinated. They regularly see available slots that only get booked after several hours.

Registration to the vaccine centres is still group limited. Appointments get released in batches.

It is not a case of anyone being able to sign up to what comes in vaccination centres.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 801 ✭✭✭eoinbn

Mark1916 wrote: »

317k Pfizer next week, 50k AZ
    318k the week after, 300k AZ.

robinbird - a lot of your figures are out. The only doses that can be considered stockpiled are Pfizer. On the last update we had 400k Pfizer unused. Some of that will be because it was delivered this week. So the true 'stockpile' is closer to 300k.
    As 700k doses will likely be delivered in the last couple of days of the month we will end the month with a huge amount of doses - hardly the worst complaint.

Best case scenario those 300k Pfizer doses are sitting in storage. Worst case scenario is that we have had to waste 300k doses due to lack of low dead space syringes.

Another possibility is that is that we have been limited by the supply of low dead space syringes. Lower deliveries in July would allow us to catch up and work through it without wasting vaccines.
    Given the report last night that the HSE expect the under 30s to start by late July or early August it would suggest that we will have ~600k first doses in that timeframe. That cannot come from supply alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭radiospan

It seems anyone aged 35 or over can register now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

radiospan wrote: »

You can. I registered last night and lots of my friends around 35,36,37 all registered this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Mother still hasn't gotten her 2nd Pfizer dose, or appointment for the Vaccine in PUC. 34 days today. Rang the HSE 3 times and they said she'd have it by today , And they said that up to yesterday but nothing yet and nothing on the portal either just awaiting appointment.

Just slightly strange, her sister got it a day before her and received it exactly 28 days later and then received another appointment which was obvisiouly accidental, but her friend received it after her and has also already gotten her second dose now.

Hopefully the appointment comes soon but anybody had a similar situation? Just don't want the efficacy and stuff to be affected because of the delay, but I believe doses are ok even if it's 6 weeks apart are they? Thanks!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,779 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

radiospan wrote: »

Yip, I've amended the thread title to reflect this :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,953 ✭✭✭duffman13

eoinbn wrote: »

Best case scenario those 300k Pfizer doses are sitting in storage. Worst case scenario is that we have had to waste 300k doses due to lack of low dead space syringes.

Another possibility is that is that we have been limited by the supply of low dead space syringes. Lower deliveries in July would allow us to catch up and work through it without wasting vaccines.

Are we only using dead space syringes? There's absolutely no way we wasted 300k vaccines. Unless something has changed dead space needles were used to potentially get extra doses out of some vials early on, we should use them where possible but are they now being used exclusively? Where is the shortage information of these coming from?

You've been fairly adamant there is no stockpile of vaccines, 300k Pfizer in storage currently is a pessimistic outlook. This hack has really stifled information and it really shouldn't be that vague from the HSE to give details of current supplies.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

New thread title!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

duffman13 wrote: »
    Are we only using dead space syringes? There's absolutely no way we wasted 300k vaccines. Unless something has changed dead space needles were used to potentially get extra doses out of some vials early on, we should use them where possible but are they now being used exclusively? Where is the shortage information of these coming from?

You've been fairly adamant there is no stockpile of vaccines, 300k Pfizer in storage currently is a pessimistic outlook. This hack has really stifled information and it really shouldn't be that vague from the HSE to give details of current supplies.

No, low dead space syringes not being used routinely in most centres as not available at the minute. From experience in vax centre from 135 vials in a day, vaccinators were getting 7 doses for maybe 6 or 7 of those vials. The process is changing for the doses to be drawn up by pharmacy and vaccinators getting it pre-drawn up which may increase the yield as the people drawing up will be doing just that for a few hours at a time and won’t be doing it with patient sitting watching so less pressure and more flexibility

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭tfeldi

Probably depends on the federal state
    Registration to the vaccine centres is still group limited. Appointments get released in batches.

It is not a case of anyone being able to sign up to what comes in vaccination centres.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭VG31

They were talking about Germany.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 801 ✭✭✭eoinbn

duffman13 wrote: »

Early on Pfizer were counting each vial as 5 doses. Once the EMA agreed that 6 doses could be extracted Pfizer revised the figure to 6. So if you had ordered 100k vaccines Pfizer originally would have delivered 20k vials. After the change they would deliver 16,667. However it you couldn't use 6th dose then you end up short 16667 doses. There was some push back regarding this as not everyone could extract the 6th dose.

I don't believe I have said the stockpile doesn't exist, I have just given possible reasons why it might not exist.

Thanks for the info Angeldelight. Any estimate on how often they got the 6th dose?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

Excuse the stupid question but I’m working off something I heard, I think here.

I’m 35 in September. Can I apply to be vaccinated? Does it go by birth year as opposed to actual age?

tfeldi wrote: »

Heard the same. There are enough available in Germany for anyone that wants one which is why they have started vaccinating children.
    eoinbn wrote: »
    317k Pfizer next week, 50k AZ
    318k the week after, 300k AZ.

robinbird - a lot of your figures are out. The only doses that can be considered stockpiled are Pfizer. On the last update we had 400k Pfizer unused. Some of that will be because it was delivered this week. So the true 'stockpile' is closer to 300k.
    As 700k doses will likely be delivered in the last couple of days of the month we will end the month with a huge amount of doses - hardly the worst complaint.

No, low dead space syringes not being used routinely in most centres as not available at the minute. From experience in vax centre from 135 vials in a day, vaccinators were getting 7 doses for maybe 6 or 7 of those vials.

According to the ECDC the difference between amount delivered and administered on June 15th was 700,000. The HSE released figures five days later showing higher amount administered but there would also have been deliveries in the interim that are not taken into consideration.

However given that they are getting more than five doses from each vial this would mean that the actual amount in storage on June 15th would be quite a bit higher than the 700,000 gap between delivery and administered figures.
    So the amount currently stockpiled could be as high as 900,000.

* Correction. Based on Eoinbn post this may not be the case if they are counting each vial as six doses rather than five

But we don't know for certain because the HSE refuses to release storage figures.

The 640,000 Pfizer and 300,000 AZ will be delivered before the end of the month. That's ten days away. Don't know what Jansen and Moderna deliveries will be next week as the HSE won't release the figures but must be at least 100k.

If we administer only 350,000 next week there will be a massive stockpile at the end of the month. Possible a million and a half unused doses in storage.

At current rate it would take us five weeks just to get through what has built up. Never mind that we will continue getting deliveries during July.

And many here are continuing to insist that there is no capacity issue and the HSE is doing a wonderful job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,212 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Is it true you can register if you are 35 this year but not on the date of registering?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Had my first Moderna five weeks ago tomorrow and havent had any word yet about getting the second jab, anyone else in the same boat? A mate who got his first jab same day as me had his second last Monday, exactly 4 weeks after his first.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,290 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

VinLieger wrote: »
    Is it true you can register if you are 35 this year but not on the date of registering?

Yes, goes by year of birth

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,779 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

ShagNastii wrote: »
    Excuse the stupid question but I’m working off something I heard, I think here.

I’m 35 in September. Can I apply to be vaccinated? Does it go by birth year as opposed to actual age?

Yep, just tried there myself as I'm similar to you and not 35 till November but goes by year of birth

I've already been vaccinated as part of cohort 7 but was able to create an account and get as far as inputting my PPSN to register

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 643 ✭✭✭john_doe.

Is there any better info on how long vaccine protects for. It's all well and good getting it , but do we need to be jabbed constantly.

Also - how do they know the effects of getting it 3,4,5 times etc. Is their similar vaccines that need to be administered every year.

And the rNA vaccine , how effective is it against delta variant?

I've registered myself but there seems to be a lot of vaxers not vaxers and u have to be in one camp etc etc , but logically I was just looking at it thinking okay I get this but how effective is it and how often do I need to be getting it. Taken every other vaccine but this one is just so much different.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭JTMan

Planning has started on a Winter booster programme and the closure of the MVC's as reported here ...
    A vaccine booster campaign against Covid-19 is being planned for the winter.

The Business Post reports today that health officials will give people top-up jabs using single-dose Pfizer shots.

The National Immunisation Advisory Committee (NIAC) will use available immunity data to decide when the revaccination campaign will begin.

It is believed most mass vaccination centres will begin to close in the autumn, and the rollout will move to pharmacies and GPs.

Professor of Immunology at Trinity College Dublin, Kingston Mills, says booster vaccines will be needed due to the Delta variant

Advertisement