Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread No 2 - Read OP before posting

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭embraer170

VG31 wrote: »
    They were talking about Germany.

And I was replying about Germany.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭embraer170

robinbird wrote: »
    Heard the same. There are enough available in Germany for anyone that wants one which is why they have started vaccinating children.

I’m in NRW and from people I know, it is still a fight to get vaccinated. I know people in Group 3 (professional occupation priority) still waiting for slots in the vaccination centres (which are still not open to anyone).

The younger people (30s) getting vaccinated are either in a priority group, through their GP, or by their company doctor.

Children 12+ can get vaccinated by a GP, but this is still extremely unusual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

M_Murphy57 wrote: »
    What happens if you answer yes to having been out of the country in the past month?

Surely come july lots of people will answer yes to that?
    I think you'll be sent home and a new appointment arranged. Or maybe they have a red/green list, so it'll depend on where you've been.

Very few people planning on foreign holidays this summer as far as I can tell. I haven't spoken to anyone doing it. It's all mobile homes and hotels in Ireland.
    embraer170 wrote: »
    I’m in NRW and from people I know, it is still a fight to get vaccinated. I know people in Group 3 (professional occupation priority) still waiting for slots in the vaccination centres (which are still not open to anyone).
    We forget that other countries aren't necessarily tiering their rollout like we have. When a country opens it to everyone, that doesn't mean it's available to everyone inside 3 weeks, it just means anyone can book their spot in the queue.

India opened it up to everyone about a month ago despite having very poor supplies. It's the "every vaccine in an arm is better than on the shelf" approach.

There is no absolutely perfect approach. We could open it up to all under-40s today and dish it out first-come-first-served, but then the narrative will change from the "young people who are missing out on formative experiences are at the back of the queue", to "hard-pressed parents who haven't had a break in 2 years are being skipped by lithe young things who are at no risk", not to mention the "terminally ill 38 year old father of 7 has been left waiting for his vaccine for nearly 3 months while younger people are being vaccinated ahead of him".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭mossie

civdef wrote: »
    At the MVC I’m at, at the entrance MVC you will be asked:

Have you an appointment?
    Have you Photo ID?
    Have you had COVID in the last 4 weeks?
    Have you been a close contact in the last 2 weeks?
    Have you had a COVID test recently?
    Have you been out of the country in the past month?
    Have you any allergy issues?

These are asked by a vaccinator who is tasked with this job and is known as a “wellness checker”.

I got my own vaccination at a different MVC earlier this year and was asked similar questions- the questions are modified fairly regularly- main intent is to keep someone who might be Covid +ve out of the queue for reception.

Wasn't asked about travel or if I'd had a test recently for either of my visits to MVC. Or if I'd been a close contact either actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Denmark had 189 cases with positivity rate at 0.25% today

Incredible and hopefully our future percentage positivity wise

Are they much ahead in terms of vaccination or is there another reason for numbers this good?

Their public health expertise is well ahead of anything here in Ireland. Huge testing numbers seems to be key.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

One dose protection seems pretty good here. Look at the positivity rates.

https://twitter.com/ThatRyanChap/status/1406737008270188544

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

seamus wrote: »
    We forget that other countries aren't necessarily tiering their rollout like we have. When a country opens it to everyone, that doesn't mean it's available to everyone inside 3 weeks, it just means anyone can book their spot in the queue.

(First off, apologies in advance, I'm posting from the smug position of someone with a dead arm after yesterday's Pfizer shot, so with that in mind.......)

People also need to remember that we have an extremely high uptake rate in each age group so far. It's easier for countries to have moved further down the age groups when they don't have a 90%+ uptake rate in each group. Don't get me wrong, our roll out hasn't been perfect and there are some genuine reasons for some people to be really frustrated. But overall, as a nation we're in an exceptionally good place because we have a population that's proving very willing overall to get vaccinated. It can make things feel slower but it also ensures we'll reach herd immunity much faster than countries that are stuck trying to cajole their population into being vaccinated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Dark Phoenix

How do you get the J and J dose as opposed to Pfizer? I’ve had reactions to many medications including penicillin and flu vac in the past and have had friends v sick (one in hospital where it was stated that it was a virus caused by vaccine) after second Pfizer dose so I’d prefer personally to avoid this and go for the one shot jab to minimise risk of reactions

• Registered Users Posts: 15,301 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Paul Reid tweeting this morning that 340k were done last week & that 47,000 39 year olds registered yesterday

https://twitter.com/paulreiddublin/status/1406877735843250180?s=20

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,810 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

How do you get the J and J dose as opposed to Pfizer? I’ve had reactions to many medications including penicillin and flu vac in the past and have had friends v sick (one in hospital where it was stated that it was a virus caused by vaccine) after second Pfizer dose so I’d prefer personally to avoid this and go for the one shot jab to minimise risk of reactions

If you are over 50 just register yourself with a pharmacy participating in the rollout.
    If you are under 50 you might be snookered there.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭UDAWINNER

I know we are supposedly making progress but I know several people in their 40s still waiting for their 1st appointment. Feels a lot longer when you're waiting and constantly checking texts and the portal. Alot of them won't be in a position to apply for the digital cert because they will not be fully vaxxed by the 19th so if they decide to travel, will get caught by various pcr tests. Then you here about people skipping the queue because of a friendly GP, pisses me off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/health/triple-threat-to-young-people-who-are-least-willing-to-get-vaccine-40560627.html

Looks like people who are in very little danger from the virus are the group most hesitant about the vaccine

UDAWINNER wrote: »
    I know we are supposedly making progress but I know several people in their 40s still waiting for their 1st appointment. Feels a lot longer when you're waiting and constantly checking texts and the portal. Alot of them won't be in a position to apply for the digital cert because they will not be fully vaxxed by the 19th so if they decide to travel, will get caught by various pcr tests. Then you here about people skipping the queue because of a friendly GP, pisses me off

Most in their 40s wouldn't have been fully vaccinated in time for 19th of July anyway.

It opened on Wednesday 19th May, they'd have needed dose 1 at the latest by Monday 7th June, dose 2 Monday July 5th. That's if they wanted to make the 19th.

I get what your saying but there's plenty of progress being made

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Dark Phoenix

odyssey06 wrote: »
    If you are over 50 just register yourself with a pharmacy participating in the rollout.
    If you are under 50 you might be snookered there.
    I’m under 50

I’m under 50

I'd say have a chat with your GP and see if there's anything they can arrange through the HSE. No harm in asking but in general they'll probably say Pfizer or Moderna for you

UDAWINNER wrote: »

Could be worse
    You could be in Japan one of the top 7 richest countries in the world where only 6% are fully vaccinated
    Or China that only has 223 million out of billions fully vaccinated and its probably the biggest Economy in the world

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/health/triple-threat-to-young-people-who-are-least-willing-to-get-vaccine-40560627.html

Looks like people who are in very little danger from the virus are the group most hesitant about the vaccine
    Which makes sense I suppose. If I were 25 would I bother getting a vaccine? Yes, but unless I knew and was in contact with elderly or health compromised relatives I probably wouldn't be going out of my way to get it.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The Indo is such a rag. "Triple threat to young people".

They are purely just trying to stir sh1t.

The headline here is that 84% of 18-24 year olds are ready and willing to get vaccinated. Another 11% are "unsure", which can be easily be overcome with incentives. So we will easily get to 90% of 18-24 year olds done without even having to think about "hesitancy".

There is nothing to be negative about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,855 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

One jab doesnt minimise your chances. It still contains the same stuff as AZ.
    Pfizer and moderna are different and are the future for all new vaccines.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

nocoverart wrote: »
    Very nice of them to be health conscious now, once them shiny stadiums are built of course.

I fear now that Irelands loss to Luxembourg was strategic and Government endorsed - essentially amounting to tacit acceptance that our vaccine roll out will not be where we want it to be come December 2022 with the Government gerrymandering our non qualification to avoid the embarrasment of Irish fans being unable to travel. I knew it.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭Cork2021

seamus wrote: »
    The Indo is such a rag. "Triple threat to young people".

They are purely just trying to stir sh1t.

The headline here is that 84% of 18-24 year olds are ready and willing to get vaccinated. Another 11% are "unsure", which can be easily be overcome with incentives. So we will easily get to 90% of 18-24 year olds done without even having to think about "hesitancy".

There is nothing to be negative about.

The indo has been an absolute disgrace! No other newspaper is carrying that story and for the past few weeks they’ve led with those sort of headlines especially on their front page. A few of their journalists are pure hyped up wannabe celebrities

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

One jab doesnt minimise your chances. It still contains the same stuff as AZ.
    It minimises it in one obvious way, if you do suffer a reaction you suffer it the once, rather than potentially twice.
    Pfizer and moderna are different and are the future for all new vaccines.
    That's a bold claim. One you can't actually make with that level of confidence. Not when the technology has only been in actual use in the population for less than a year. The results are looking good, but by definition both the long term efficacy and adverse reactions can't be measured yet.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,785 ✭✭✭✭JPA

A vaccine cannot 'cause' a virus. That doesn't make any sense.

Cork2021 wrote: »
    The indo has been an absolute disgrace!
    to be fair the Indo being a disgrace on the journalism front is hardly a shock to any of us. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,855 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Wibbs wrote: »
    It minimises it in one obvious way, if you do suffer a reaction you suffer it the once, rather than potentially twice.
    That's a bold claim. One you can't actually make with that level of confidence. Not when the technology has only been in actual use in the population for less than a year. The results are looking good, but by definition both the long term efficacy and adverse reactions can't be measured yet.

Technology has been around for last 10 years and tested loads. This was the first time it came into action.

You could talk to your pharmacy
    J and j is optional for 40 to 50 in the sense that you can refuse it and wait for Pfizer and Moderna but I don't think it works the other way round
    I also don't think mvc's are doing them anymore anyway

Also the pharmacy's may be doing 50+ only but if that's not wrote in law maybe they can do you

Btw,the flu vaccine is to the best of my knowledge similar in structure to j and j
    It uses an old dead virus

Pfizer doesn't use any dead virus,it's a new technology that mimics its dna to prompt your body to make antibodies
    Talk to your doctor as you'll probably be fine with either Pfizer or Moderna other than the side effects we all get or don't get

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

Paul Reid tweeting this morning that 340k were done last week & that 47,000 39 year olds registered yesterday

https://twitter.com/paulreiddublin/status/1406877735843250180?s=20

Any update on the % of the adult population that has received a first and second dose?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭questionmark?

have had friends v sick (one in hospital where it was stated that it was a virus caused by vaccine) after second Pfizer dose

Quite literally fake news aka conspiracy theory rubbish. The vaccine doesn't cause Covid!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

You could talk to your pharmacy
    J and j is optional for 40 to 50 in the sense that you can refuse it and wait for Pfizer and Moderna but I don't think it works the other way round
    I also don't think mvc's are doing them anymore anyway

Also the pharmacy's may be doing 50+ only but if that's not wrote in law maybe they can do you

Btw,the flu vaccine is to the best of my knowledge similar in structure to j and j
    It uses an old dead virus

Pfizer doesn't use any dead virus,it's a new technology that mimics its dna to prompt your body to make antibodies
    Talk to your doctor as you'll probably be fine with either Pfizer or Moderna other than the side effects we all get or don't get

Flu vaccines for adults are all inactivated whole virus vaccines with adjuvants (same construct as Valneva, Sinovac etc.). The inactivated virions do not enter cells, the body responds to this vaccine similarly to a pure protein based vaccine.

J&J is a viral vector, it uses a live modified adenovirus that can't replicate. The modifications include a sequence of the SARS-cov-2 spike protein being included in the adenoviruses genome (RNA). The adenovirus allows for the vaccine to enter cells and there our own cells then make the spike protein that the immune system reacts to. It's closer to a real infection than what an inactivated can induce. Oxford/AZ uses the same technology, just a different type of adenovirus for the vector.

Pfizer/BNT and Moderna skip the adenovirus bit and wrap the RNA payload (for the spike) in a fatty shell that can pass through cell walls. The rest of the process then is the same - RNA gets released inside cell, ribosomes pick it up and produce the spike protein, immune system reacts to that protein and makes an immune response to it.

• Advertisement

Technology has been around for last 10 years and tested loads. This was the first time it came into action.
    Actually the theory has been around since the 90's the tech caught up by the mid noughties and companies like Moderna were formed to much fanfare and funding to take advantage of it to apply it to different conditions. Vaccines were way down that list. Well until Moderna had to stop trials on a few avenues because it was found the risks were too high(Only one such product other than their vaccine has passed initial trials). That's when they started to focus more on vaccines as the risks were much lower because of dosages involved.

Advertisement