Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread No 2 - Read OP before posting

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭Dr. Em

JPA wrote: »
    A vaccine cannot 'cause' a virus. That doesn't make any sense.

Whole pathogen vaccines (historically used) and live attenuated vaccines (being phased out) can cause disease, especially in people with weakened immune systems.
    None of the Covid-19 vaccines on the market here are these type of vaccines. The AZ and Johnson and Johnson vaccines are viral vector and the Pfizer and Moderna ones are RNA. For anyone interested, this has a summary description of different types of vaccines:
    https://vk.ovg.ox.ac.uk/vk/types-of-vaccine

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Quite literally fake news aka conspiracy theory rubbish. The vaccine doesn't cause Covid!!
    At a very big stretch, post-vaccination could lead to briefly low immune system levels which may allow ingress of another virus, or a flare-up of another issue such as shingles.

At a very, very big stretch. Anyone claiming that the vaccine put them in hospital either had an anaphylactic reaction or is a lying bastard.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Godot.

Any update on the % of the adult population that has received a first and second dose?

Wish they were as good at releasing the daily/total vaccination numbers as they are with the infection numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

JPA wrote: »
    A vaccine cannot 'cause' a virus. That doesn't make any sense.

"Live" vaccines can.

According to the Brazilian regulators some batches of Sputnik contained a live adenovirus that could potentially infect people with that adenovirus. Worse still the coronavirus spike protein wouldn't replicate so the individual could get infected with an adenovirus and not acquire any immunity to covid.

While all covid vaccines available in Ireland were designed in a way to mitigate the risk of vaccine enhancement it is still possible that for some individuals the vaccines would make it easier for coronavirus to infect them more severely. Such an event has not been observed yet and the design process of the vaccines suggests if they do occur they should be extremely rare as multiple safeguards were implemented to prevent it occurring.

Tl;Dr a live vaccine can indeed cause a virus. There is nothing to suggest the covid vaccines in Ireland cause coronavirus or any other virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,751 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

seamus wrote: »
    At a very big stretch, post-vaccination could lead to briefly low immune system levels which may allow ingress of another virus, or a flare-up of another issue such as shingles.

At a very, very big stretch. Anyone claiming that the vaccine put them in hospital either had an anaphylactic reaction or is a lying bastard.

Or just might not understand the process .
    A lot of people blame vaccines for every ailment that occurs after having one .
    Some of these ailments can be due to flare ups caused by the body's immune response and in some cases inflammatory action , but settles within a few weeks .
    Often see raised inflammatory markers and other blood results a little out of kilter post vaccination in patients who are on serial blood monitoring .
    It is expected in patients who have high levels of inflammation, eg. Arthritis, Diabetes, Crohns .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

seamus wrote: »

Interestingly my partner developed shingles 3 weeks after the first shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

Got the text about my first vaccine.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭muddypuppy

I'm half tempted to go and get vaccinated in my home country (Italy) as vaccinations here for twenty-something will probably start in late July or so. (not complaining, just a different approach to the rollout, hindsight will probably tell which is the best). I'm just put off from having to travel twice for the second shot (I can't spend the time in between shots there), plus I get the feeling that the state/nphet doesn't like too much the EU Covid Cert, so I wonder how much effort will it be to get the vaccination done in another state recognized here from the 19th.
    Anybody has any opinions on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,770 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

What jab do 35-40 year olds get here ? Do you have a choice

It'll be Pfizer or Moderna. Once we've exhausted our AZ and Janssen, we're not buying any more. So it's mRNA all the way for everyone under 45.

• Advertisement

I'm getting the Pfizer vaccine and I've just turned 40 last Thursday.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,582 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Pfizer or Moderna, no choice, luck of the MVC draw.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

KKkitty wrote: »
    I'm getting the Pfizer vaccine and I've just turned 40 last Thursday.

Happy birthday !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

17 minutes from arriving at the Helix to walking out the waiting area this morning. All very smooth.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Just got my second dose, in and out of the GPs in 20 minutes.
    Roll on normality :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭Sappy404

Folks, has anyone failed to receive an SMS code when registering? I'm on Virgin Mobile and had read on Bargain Alerts about people not getting verification texts for various services in the past. I haven't had an issue until now.

Goldengirl wrote: »
    Happy birthday !

Thank you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭kleiner feigling

Wibbs wrote: »
    That's a bold claim. One you can't actually make with that level of confidence. Not when the technology has only been in actual use in the population for less than a year. The results are looking good, but by definition both the long term efficacy and adverse reactions can't be measured yet.

Absolutely. The increase in instances of myocarditis and pericarditis occurring in young people receiving these is definitely a cause for concern, and cannot be fully monitored when those receiving it are not within a clinical trial where they would be closely monitored.
    The best we can do is be sure to report any adverse events to HPRA so we can build up the fullest, most accurate picture of safety over the coming years.
    After all, people in the younger cohorts are not in an emergency and fall into a very low risk category, so the risk there has to be balanced against any potential harms the vaccine may cause.

I see Israel started a small trial in February 2021 to look at the impacts of Pfizer and Moderna MRNA jabs to ovaries and female fertility, due for completion in Feb 2022. More studies like this needed to prove/disprove safety.

KKkitty wrote: »
    Thank you :)

What a year to remember !

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭Probes

Sappy404 wrote: »
    Folks, has anyone failed to receive an SMS code when registering? I'm on Virgin Mobile and had read on Bargain Alerts about people not getting verification texts for various services in the past. I haven't had an issue until now.

I'm on Virgin and didn't have a problem receiving the text.

• Advertisement

What a year to remember !

I never thought I'd be turning 40 in the middle of a pandemic that's for sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Got my 2nd dose of Astrazeneca yesterday in Citywest. Almost no side effects after dose #1 but lots of flu like symptoms last night and today I'm floored. My mistake was not taking paracetamol soon enough. Funny, the vaccinator even said there seemed to be far fewer side effects with dose #2.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭flanzer

42 year old here. Got my 1st dose of Pfizer this morning in The Helix. Very impressive, military like operation. Parked the car at 9:45 and was back in it at 10:20, after the 15 minute 'hold' post vaccination. I'd love to do see a time lapse video of the whole day in there. I'd say it would be therapeutic to watch!

It's amazing what we can do, when we put our minds to it

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭harmless

Has anyone got an appointment by text for a centre almost 100km away?
    No direct public transport route so that's a 6 hour round trip.

I'm in North Tipp and the centre is in Clonmel.
    Should I skip it and wait for a more viable route? The vaccine would probably be more convenient for someone who lives close to the centre.

Just for reference there are vaccine centres both in my town and also towns that are 30 mins away by bus.
    I'm happy to wait for a slot to be available a little closer.

harmless wrote: »
    Has anyone got an appointment by text for a centre almost 100km away?
    No direct public transport route so that's a 6 hour round trip.

I'm in North Tipp and the centre is in Clonmel.
    Should I skip it and wait for a more viable route? The vaccine would probably be more convenient for someone who lives close to the centre.

Just for reference there are vaccine centres both in my town and also towns that are 30 mins away by bus.
    I'm happy to wait for a slot to be available a little closer.

If you ask for " new" how likely would you be to get Clonmel again instead of Nenagh for example. ?

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Not in Kansas

flanzer wrote: »
    42 year old here. Got my 1st dose of Pfizer this morning in The Helix. Very impressive, military like operation. Parked the car at 9:45 and was back in it at 10:20, after the 15 minute 'hold' post vaccination. I'd love to do see a time lapse video of the whole day in there. I'd say it would be therapeutic to watch!

It's amazing what we can do, when we put our minds to it

I was so impressed up in Punchestown a couple of weeks ago also, and I'm impressed overall with the registration and communication process. People I follow on Twitter in Australia (supply obviously a big part of the problem there) and Canada give a glimpse into how smooth and relatively stress-free our procedure is.

They have to source and book their vaccine shot not once, but twice. There is no automatic call-back for their second shot! It's up to them to go through the whole booking rigmarole again, ringing around, finding out where has good supply!

It may seem like we are plodding along, but organsiationally, I think we are doing amazingly well!

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭harmless

If you ask for " new" how likely would you be to get Clonmel again instead of Nenagh for example. ?

That's what I hope to find out. I just replied with "new".
    I wanted to see if it had happened to anyone else?
    I'll report back when I know more.

I was so impressed up in Punchestown a couple of weeks ago also, and I'm impressed overall with the registration and communication process. People I follow on Twitter in Australia (supply obviously a big part of the problem there) and Canada give a glimpse into how smooth and relatively stress-free our procedure is.

They have to source and book their vaccine shot not once, but twice. There is no automatic call-back for their second shot! It's up to them to go through the whole booking rigmarole again, ringing around, finding out where has good supply!

It may seem like we are plodding along, but organsiationally, I think we are doing amazingly well!

Think people are surprised because they expected the vaccination rollout to be like the mayhem in an Accident and Emergency near you , which is what a lot of people think of when they think of the HSE . ( not saying you )
    There have been vaccination programmes running efficiently every year to over a million people for flu with no problem .
    However the present vaccination has been resourced and prioritised with plenty of attention to staff and funding , (and publicity obviously) unlike most of the A&E's around the country which have been largely under resourced and understaffed for the last 20 odd years least.
    Many posters at the beginning said it couldn't be done by the HSE .
    This shows it can be done by HSE, and no excuse for the overcrowding and trolley crisis every Winter, if they make the same effort to sort it properly .

• Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I have a son in Canada and his and wife’s vaccinated was very smooth . They even moved areas between the doses but were able to register in new location and book online . They had no bother with supply or booking or changing venue

• Advertisement

harmless wrote: »
    That's what I hope to find out. I just replied with "new".
    I wanted to see if it had happened to anyone else?
    I'll report back when I know more.
    Might be worth calling the helpline. Married neighbours of ours both got confirmations with random locations halfway across the country. One was automatically cancelled and rebooked, the other had to ring up to sort it.

Advertisement