Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread No 2 - Read OP before posting

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,115 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Lumen wrote: »
    FYI those percentages are for the adult population, not the whole population.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2021/0621/1229401-covid-vaccines-ireland/

Yes indeed, but that's also because we have no actual plan to vaccinate children (as of right now).

HSE spokesman saying on Six One they intend to vaccinate 100,000 people a week with AZ for the next four weeks and to have the AZ programme completed by July 19th.

Strazdas wrote: »
    HSE spokesman saying on Six One they intend to vaccinate 100,000 people a week with AZ for the next four weeks and to have the AZ programme completed by July 19th.

What age group is intended for AZ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Mostly those in their 60s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

Me. 40. South Dublin. Registered two weeks ago.

Nothing.

I’ll be 40 this year so was part of that cohort, and not a dicky bird after two weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,151 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Second dose for some HCWs and 60-69 cohort , plus a small amount of cohort 4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭allinthehead

40 and living in Cork, first dose AstraZeneca March 31st, second dose today.
    First one floored me for a couple of days and I experienced fatigue for about two weeks after, hoping for an easier time of it with the second dose. Partner registered today too so a good day all round.

☀️

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,269 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Nothing.

35 registered Sunday, south Dublin, was hoping to get it by July but reading the posts about massive Dublin queues I'm much less hopeful

Mostly 60+, but a fair few people in their 50s received it as well.

40 and living in Cork, first dose AstraZeneca March 31st, second dose today.
    First one floored me for a couple of days and I experienced fatigue for about two weeks after, hoping for an easier time of it with the second dose. Partner registered today too so a good day all round.

If it's any help, the vast bulk of anecdotal reports is of fatigue with the first dose of AZ but not with the second (the complete reverse of what seems to happen with Pfizer).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Discussed this briefly on another thread, but interested to find out more, if anyone can comment/conribute?

https://www.abc.net.au/news/science/2021-01-08/covid-19-vaccine-injection-upper-arm-muscle-deltoid-immune/13031918

Link above discusses how vaccines (old and new) cause antigens (eg. viral proteins) to be transported into the lymph, where the immune response is recorded to fight future infection.
    For the new technologies, the Lipid Nanoparticle is also transported to a number of organs. These nanoparticles contain the mRNA (the instructions to produce spike protein).
    That means cells in multiple organs will contain the instructions to produce spike proteins.
    Standard vaccines teach us to produce antibodies in response to a controlled amount of antigens, introduced in the arm-muscle usually.
    They do not teach organs of the body to produce said antigens.

It is quite concerning that cells in the spleen, kidneys, ovaries etc. will contain instructions for producing spike protein, which is a known antigen. Antigens by their nature illicit an immune response.
    We don't need an immune response in other organs. Is this likely to cause an unnecessary autoimmune response in those areas?

The data on where these lipid nanoparticles end up is extremely limited, because the assumption with vaccines is that the controlled quantity of antigen doesn't travel to any organs - so testing in this area is usually not required for regulatory submissions.
    The link below is from the Japanese regulatory submission for Pfizer (Japan requires this data, but EU, US etc. don't).
    Animal model showed lipid nanoparticles (containing mRNA instructions for production of spike protein) accumulating in kidneys, spleen, ovaries, adrenals etc. (pg. 5-6)

https://www.docdroid.net/xq0Z8B0/pfizer-report-japanese-government-pdf#page=23
    Well for a start they are absolutely minsicule amounts found by extremely sensitive equipment and they're transient, IE they fade away to undedectable levels very rapidly. Compared to the levels in people who have been actually infected which are very much higher and last much longer. Indeed it has been suggested that so called "long covid" may be down to these proteins. So as it stands if you're concerned about spike proteins it is better and by an order of magnitude better to get a vaccine than to be actually infected by the virus. Never mind that the risks of severe illness, hospitalisation and death in the vaccinated are massively lower than in those who are not. This goes quadruple and much more for vulnerable groups like the very old and chronically sick. The risk/return equation is solidly on the side of the vaccines.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭allinthehead

If it's any help, the vast bulk of anecdotal reports is of fatigue with the first dose of AZ but not with the second (the complete reverse of what seems to happen with Pfizer).

Hearing the same from others who got first and second doses of AZ and Pfizer.

☀️

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,491 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

https://twitter.com/clairekenny78/status/1406983797208457219

There is surely more to this particular case. If not, then holy moly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,269 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

spockety wrote: »

That makes no sense, when you sign up it has you confirm the eircode matches your address via a search tool, unless this is for ppl who did it via phone then its the operators who are to blame?

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭xboxdad

After which date it'll take a few weeks for it to reach optimum efficiency if I'm not mistaken.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,824 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Nothing.

In the same boat, same location (though not 40 till later this year), so not just me waiting :)

Parents just got their AZ second dose yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,785 ✭✭✭✭JPA

spockety wrote: »

Where's the holy moly? There's a helpline which seems to have resolved the problem.
    No sign of appointment coming through? Ring the helpline.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,491 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

JPA wrote: »
    Where's the holy moly? There's a helpline which seems to have resolved the problem.
    No sign of appointment coming through? Ring the helpline.

The holy moly would be that they somehow have a system in place with no validation on the Eircode field, which would be trivial to implement, and people will end up having to make unnecessary calls to the helpline as a result.

xboxdad wrote: »
    After which date it'll take a few weeks for it to reach optimum efficiency if I'm not mistaken.

I guess one factor will be that the authorities will want to get these AZ doses done as quickly as possible with the threat of the Delta variant lurking in the background.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭Azatadine

Wonder how the Janssen one dose fares with the Delta variant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Dark Phoenix

Quite literally fake news aka conspiracy theory rubbish. The vaccine doesn't cause Covid!!

No not Covid - something completely different. The hospital specifically said it was a different virus brought on by inflammation caused by vaccine.

Given this kind of over aggressive response when someone asks a simple question is it any wonder some people are hesitant to take it and are worried about it? I’m someone who has had very bad reactions to medications including the flu vaccine. I’ve known a few people have had reactions to the second Pfizer dose the worst being the person mentioned above who ended up hospitalised. With this in mind I was simply asking about the J and j shot as it’s just the one jab - it’s a rather messed up situation when anyone experiencing side effects is dismissed as “probably not related to the vacccine” and anyone asking a question is labelled a conspiracy theorist anti vaxxer just for trying to find out more information about the options available to them. If people cannot ask questions and discuss this rationally before putting something into their body it’s a fairly messed up situation.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Actually DP, though I'm about as far from an anti vaxxer as you'll find I would largely agree with you. It has become extremely polarised. For myself I'm pursuing the one jab J&J and hope to get it in the next week or so through a pharmacy. If for some reason they run out of supply, I'll wait until another alternative to the two innoculation mRNA vaccines comes along. The fact I state that will no doubt have some lump me in with the anti vaccine Sharons on facebook claiming vaccines cause hair cancer. Zero fcuks will be given by me to that tbh.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭loughside

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/06/09/health/myocarditis-covid-vaccination-link-clearer/index.html?utm_source=pocket-newtab-global-en-GB

A link between Covid-19 vaccination and a cardiac illness may be getting clearer

So is this just another scare story or something to be concerned about on down the line?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Unicorn55

Age 40
    Registered 2.5 weeks ago
    Heard nothing yet (have checked portal too)

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Unicorn55

Friend aged 41
    Registered 2.5 weeks ago.
    Got 1st vaccine 0.5 weeks ago (Pfizer)

Parents got their 2nd vaccines yesterday (over 60s)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,891 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Totally random thought popped into my grey matter today.

I'm fully vaccinated, Pfizer.

What is I was to pop to my local chemist now and get another, say the J&J?

Would it be useless, adding no extra protection?
    Could it be in any way dangerous to get a vaccine on top of another vaccine?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭questionmark?

No not Covid - something completely different. The hospital specifically said it was a different virus brought on by inflammation caused by vaccine.

Given this kind of over aggressive response when someone asks a simple question is it any wonder some people are hesitant to take it and are worried about it? I’m someone who has had very bad reactions to medications including the flu vaccine. I’ve known a few people have had reactions to the second Pfizer dose the worst being the person mentioned above who ended up hospitalised. With this in mind I was simply asking about the J and j shot as it’s just the one jab - it’s a rather messed up situation when anyone experiencing side effects is dismissed as “probably not related to the vacccine” and anyone asking a question is labelled a conspiracy theorist anti vaxxer just for trying to find out more information about the options available to them. If people cannot ask questions and discuss this rationally before putting something into their body it’s a fairly messed up situation.

Your post implied otherwise. You know what you were at.

The vast Majority aren't hesitant as the figures are shown.

If you have genuine concern then ask a question in such a way which doesn't imply conspiracy theories.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

NIMAN wrote: »
    Totally random thought popped into my grey matter today.

I'm fully vaccinated, Pfizer.

What is I was to pop to my local chemist now and get another, say the J&J?

Would it be useless, adding no extra protection?
    Could it be in any way dangerous to get a vaccine on top of another vaccine?
    Don't think it would do anything.

Wonder would you get a side effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Well done Cuba.

Cuba says its 3-dose Abdala vaccine against COVID-19 has an efficacy rate of 92.28%

• Advertisement

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    Don't think it would do anything.

Wonder would you get a side effect.

You won't be allowed one if you got your Pfizer using your pps here
    You are asked at the mvc's if you've had a vaccine in the last 2 weeks so that's the danger time
    Someone in Italy accidentally got a full vial of Pfizer and didn't die afaik

Advertisement