Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread No 2 - Read OP before posting

Options

Comments

loughside wrote: »
    https://edition.cnn.com/2021/06/09/health/myocarditis-covid-vaccination-link-clearer/index.html?utm_source=pocket-newtab-global-en-GB

A link between Covid-19 vaccination and a cardiac illness may be getting clearer

So is this just another scare story or something to be concerned about on down the line?

Read your own link

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭Relax brah

Got my first dose of moderna yesterday, seamless experience and very well organised.

Feeling good now, however, arm is sore (I laughed at this idea prior,) slight runny nose and a little head ache.

All in all though feeling good, appointment for second dose is 19th of July.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

NIMAN wrote: »
    Totally random thought popped into my grey matter today.

I'm fully vaccinated, Pfizer.

What is I was to pop to my local chemist now and get another, say the J&J?

Would it be useless, adding no extra protection?
    Could it be in any way dangerous to get a vaccine on top of another vaccine?
    Why would anyone consider doing something like that? :confused: You're vaccinated, end of. If you're under 55 and were unvaccinated and actually caught this virus your risk of serious illness requiring a hospital would run at 1.5%, your risk of mortality would be 0.1%, which are tiny risks. And those are the percentages measured against actual confirmed positive cases by people who were tested and doesn't allow for those who were already compromised by chronic illness and comorbidities. The number who were infected among those not tested is going to be quite a bit larger so those risks fall even further. Being vaccinated massively reduces both already tiny risks to absolutely feck all, so why add more on top for zero gain?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Cal4567

Government to launch campaign on travel making clear that young unvaccinated people can go abroad

https://www.thejournal.ie/unvaccinated-young-people-allowed-to-travel-5472708-Jun2021/

THE GOVERNMENT IS to launch a communications campaign ahead of the roll out of the EU Digital Green Cert on 19 July which will set out clearly that young people, who have not yet been vaccinated, will be free to travel abroad under the new system.

Sounds a lot like we must have our summer just like last November, it was we must have our Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Useless; depends on your definition. It would most likely serve as a booster, causing an even stronger immune response to covid if you ever got it. But you're talking about a couple of percent at most.

Dangerous; No. Your immune system will respond strongly though so you'd likely feel pretty crap for a day or two.

The myocarditis/pericarditis stuff is the media desperately in search of a story.

Inflammation is a primary immune response. When your skin gets damaged, the first thing that happens is that the damaged area gets inflamed.
    When you contract a pathogen, the first thing that happens is a generalised inflammation across the body.
    Myocarditis or pericarditis are expected to occur at some level for virtually every illness and vaccination. Most of us won't even notice when we have mild cases of it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

seamus wrote: »
    The myocarditis/pericarditis stuff is the media desperately in search of a story.
    This. The Israeli stats are the most complete and out of over five million innoculations they had a grand total of 148 reports of this inflammation. An absolutely tiny percentage. The chances of those reports being related to some other bodily process rather than the vaccine are pretty high too.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Stormyteacup

Early studies are showing extra protection from mix and match vaccines. The aim of studies was more with any potential scarcity of one particular vaccine in mind, with a view to fastest global vaccination, rather than best possible individual protection.

But it’s a theory that better t-cell activation from viral vectors combine with higher antibody production from MRNA for optimal individual protection.

Multiple viral vector vaccines will likely reduce effectiveness.

Depends on how covid-proof you want to be. Fully vaccinated with Pfizer is more than enough protection.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Dark Phoenix

Your post implied otherwise. You know what you were at.

The vast Majority aren't hesitant as the figures are shown.

If you have genuine concern then ask a question in such a way which doesn't imply conspiracy theories.

No I’m not “at” anything aside from being genuinely concerned for my own health and gathering information so that I have options and information before choosing what I put in my body. The person in question who I know was absolutely fine before, not fine after their second dose of one of the vaccines. My question was simply about the likelihood of getting a one shot jab which would to me be less of a risk.
    To immediately and aggressively write off all side affects as “not related” and write off anyone with concerns about them as an anti Vax conspiracy theorist is just lazy at this stage. All drugs have side effects and some of us are more prone to them than others. I’ve unfortunately had reactions to many drugs more so lately due to having to take various ones last year due to a serious health issue I had at the time so I’m simply looking out for my own health here. I think if we want the majority of people to take a vaccine it would be more productive to actually allow people to ask questions and air concerns and actually get answers than to constantly respond with the equivalent of screaming “fec* off you conspiracy seeking anti vax horrible person”. I don’t know why people asking rational questions about a drug they are being asked to take terrifies people so much - it would not be the case for any other drug

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭Dr. Em

No not Covid - something completely different. The hospital specifically said it was a different virus brought on by inflammation caused by vaccine.

Given this kind of over aggressive response when someone asks a simple question is it any wonder some people are hesitant to take it and are worried about it? I’m someone who has had very bad reactions to medications including the flu vaccine. I’ve known a few people have had reactions to the second Pfizer dose the worst being the person mentioned above who ended up hospitalised. With this in mind I was simply asking about the J and j shot as it’s just the one jab - it’s a rather messed up situation when anyone experiencing side effects is dismissed as “probably not related to the vacccine” and anyone asking a question is labelled a conspiracy theorist anti vaxxer just for trying to find out more information about the options available to them. If people cannot ask questions and discuss this rationally before putting something into their body it’s a fairly messed up situation.

Was it shingles? Shingles is caused by the chickenpox virus. If you ever had chickenpox, it can flare up into shingles at times when the body is stressed, especially as you get older. If shingles was sparked by the vaccine, it could also flare up if you caught Covid.

Speak to your GP and tell them about your concerns, especially if you have a history of allergic reactions. Otherwise, side effect are never fun, but they are almost always unpleasant rather than dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭xboxdad

Strazdas wrote: »
    I guess one factor will be that the authorities will want to get these AZ doses done as quickly as possible with the threat of the Delta variant lurking in the background.

I'm just being wary of the fact that they use the July 19th date "coincidentally" which is also the start date of international travel.
    ...which is completely meaningless in this case if we think about it - weeks of incubation necessary with AZ still.
    If one doesn't care about the risks, they could have traveled from the 19th with just one shot anyways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

If you don't have any immune system related disorders or on immune system suppressing drugs, then you are already well protected. Better to leave that dose to someone who hasn't been vaccinated yet.

From a pure scientific point of view you'd get a boost to your existing immune response, B cells will undergo another round or two of mutations to match the antibodies against the S protein better. The effect would most likely be more pronounced at the 6+ months period.

https://www.joe.ie/news/who-annual-booster-covid-19-vaccine-to-be-introduced-ireland-724619
    Dr Nabarro said that building "acceptance" will be key, adding that people should "not shame and ridicule people" based on their beliefs in regards to vaccination.
    Right, but I also shouldn't be forced to sit next to someone 8hrs a day who believes he doesn't need a vaccine.
    His voluntary risk has to remain his risk.
    Like smokers need to go out to designated areas to smoke in 2021, you can't just start smoking in the office anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,708 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

No I’m not “at” anything aside from being genuinely concerned for my own health and gathering information so that I have options and information before choosing what I put in my body. The person in question who I know was absolutely fine before, not fine after their second dose of one of the vaccines.

If it will put your mind at ease, the COVID vaccines cannot in any way, form or function, cause your body to catch another virus, these are 2 completely and entirely separate events.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭Cork2021

Went for a check up with my GP this morning had been in years, took bloods etc, asked my age and said do you want the vaccine and I said no bother, so booked in Thursday week. 32 years old

Went for a check up with my GP this morning had been in years, took bloods etc, asked my age and said do you want the vaccine and I said no bother, so booked in Thursday week. 32 years old

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

No I’m not “at” anything aside from being genuinely concerned for my own health and gathering information so that I have options and information before choosing what I put in my body. The person in question who I know was absolutely fine before, not fine after their second dose of one of the vaccines. My question was simply about the likelihood of getting a one shot jab which would to me be less of a risk.
    To immediately and aggressively write off all side affects as “not related” and write off anyone with concerns about them as an anti Vax conspiracy theorist is just lazy at this stage. All drugs have side effects and some of us are more prone to them than others. I’ve unfortunately had reactions to many drugs more so lately due to having to take various ones last year due to a serious health issue I had at the time so I’m simply looking out for my own health here. I think if we want the majority of people to take a vaccine it would be more productive to actually allow people to ask questions and air concerns and actually get answers than to constantly respond with the equivalent of screaming “fec* off you conspiracy seeking anti vax horrible person”. I don’t know why people asking rational questions about a drug they are being asked to take terrifies people so much - it would not be the case for any other drug

Ya ya. I made my point you made yours. Its a public forum. Dont like it move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭JDD

xboxdad wrote: »
    https://www.joe.ie/news/who-annual-booster-covid-19-vaccine-to-be-introduced-ireland-724619
    Dr Nabarro said that building "acceptance" will be key, adding that people should "not shame and ridicule people" based on their beliefs in regards to vaccination.
    Right, but I also shouldn't be forced to sit next to someone 8hrs a day who believes he doesn't need a vaccine.
    His voluntary risk has to remain his risk.
    Like smokers need to go out to designated areas to smoke in 2021, you can't just start smoking in the office anymore.

If you are fully vaccinated, does it matter so much? I mean, I know there's a small chance your unvaccinated seat buddy might catch the virus, and I know there's an even smaller chance that you would catch it off him, and a smaller chance again that your vaccine would not prevent a symptomatic illness and an teeny tiny chance you might suffer a more serious illness. But is that enough of a risk to make an unvaccinated person stay at home or wear a mask all day?

There's masses of people who never received the measles vaccine. You'd be more worried about them to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Mark1916

JDD wrote: »
    If you are fully vaccinated, does it matter so much? I mean, I know there's a small chance your unvaccinated seat buddy might catch the virus, and I know there's an even smaller chance that you would catch it off him, and a smaller chance again that your vaccine would not prevent a symptomatic illness and an teeny tiny chance you might suffer a more serious illness. But is that enough of a risk to make an unvaccinated person stay at home or wear a mask all day?

There's masses of people who never received the measles vaccine. You'd be more worried about them to be honest.

Yes, it could matter, because:

Say the best vaccine provides 90% protection against the dominant variants at the time.

With each vaccinated person in the chain the chance diminishes by 90%.
    Meaning, it's your colleague who can decrease the 10% weakness in your own vaccine to 1%.
    It is their responsibility to protect you that way even if they don't care about themselves.

Also, children won't be vaccinated below a certain age and long covid in asymptomatic ppl is not necessarily just "ever lasting tiredness". We'll only know if long covid is real and what it causes in the coming years and decades.
    So your unvaccinated colleague doesn't simply refuse to protect your health, but they put your unvaccinated children to risk every single day - and it's an unknown risk at this point in time.

Most importantly, It is very different to sit next to an unvaccinated person 8hrs and day from running into an unvaccinated person by chance once a week for 30 seconds in Dunnes Stores at the drinks section.
    Offices should have strict rules like airplanes. Even stricter as you don't sit next to an unvaccinated person guaranteed 8hrs a day on an airplane, but you absolutely can in an office.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭RavenBea17b

xboxdad wrote: »
    Yes, it could matter, because:

Say the best vaccine provides 90% protection against the dominant variants at the time.

With each vaccinated person in the chain the chance diminishes by 90%.
    Meaning, it's your colleague who can decrease the 10% weakness in your own vaccine to 1%.
    It is their responsibility to protect you that way even if they don't care about themselves.

Also, children won't be vaccinated below a certain age and long covid in asymptomatic ppl is not necessarily just "ever lasting tiredness". We'll only know if long covid is real and what it causes in the coming years and decades.
    So your unvaccinated colleague doesn't simply refuse to protect your health, but they put your unvaccinated children to risk every single day - and it's an unknown risk at this point in time.

Most importantly, It is very different to sit next to an unvaccinated person 8hrs and day from running into an unvaccinated person by chance once a week for 30 seconds in Dunnes Stores at the drinks section.
    Offices should have strict rules like airplanes. Even stricter as you don't sit next to an unvaccinated person guaranteed 8hrs a day on an airplane, but you absolutely can in an office.

Agreed, sitting next to someone unvaccinated for 'x' hours is indeed very different from interaction at shopping centre (duration wise). I wonder if unvaccinated people - who have chosen NOT to vaccinate will be able to get travel insurance - medical purposes. Should they become ill on holiday and are not vaccinated is something that I haven't heard discussed much.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Mark1916 wrote: »

Anyone seen the details on when those extra doses will be received and what it may mean for Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭ImDave

Cork2021 wrote: »

Are there many GPs out there doing large scale vaccination clinics at the moment? Two friends of mine (in their early 30's) were vaccinated yesterday at a medical centre where they are not even patients (another friend who is a patient sent them a link to register), on the basis of age rather than cohort 4/7, and apparently there were 300+ vaccinated there yesterday.

Just confused as I thought it was MVC only outside of cohort 4/7 with exception of unused/preventative waste doses.

(Also slightly sour now as they will likely be fully vaccinated before I even get a first dose as a fellow 33 year old :cool:)

ImDave wrote: »
    Are there many GPs out there doing large scale vaccination clinics at the moment? Two friends of mine (in their early 30's) were vaccinated yesterday at a medical centre where they are not even patients (another friend who is a patient sent them a link to register), on the basis of age rather than cohort 4/7, and apparently there were 300+ vaccinated there yesterday.

Just confused as I thought it was MVC only outside of cohort 4/7 with exception of unused/preventative waste doses.

(Also slightly sour now as they will likely be fully vaccinated before I even get a first dose as a fellow 33 year old :cool:)

Hi, yeah seems to be the case with my GP, by the looks of things I was the 70th person to be booked in for a jab Thursday week. I explained my situation to him about work and so on. I’m a manager in a large supermarket abs just recently had to deal with an outbreak of 9 cases in cork. So he said perfect we’ll get you sorted with Pfizer which is due again on the 30th of June!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭ImDave

Cork2021 wrote: »
    Hi, yeah seems to be the case with my GP, by the looks of things I was the 70th person to be booked in for a jab Thursday week. I explained my situation to him about work and so on. I’m a manager in a large supermarket abs just recently had to deal with an outbreak of 9 cases in cork. So he said perfect we’ll get you sorted with Pfizer which is due again on the 30th of June!

Fair play - I wouldn't think twice about taking a vaccine from any source if offered, especially for someone like yourself out with the public every day. My own GP, despite being a fairly large practice, doesn't seem to want anything to do with it which is disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭eoinbn

Anyone seen the details on when those extra doses will be received and what it may mean for Ireland.

Next year. We signed a deal for 150m doses back in Feb. There was an option for an extra 150m which we have now exerised. It is likely to cover for the failure of Curevac.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Angela Merkel is after getting a Moderna second dose after getting a first dose of AstraZeneca.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,810 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Angela Merkel is after getting a Moderna second dose after getting a first dose of AstraZeneca.

Given our supply issues, it probably make total sense for us to give a second dose of AZ to all AZ recipients. It looks like we have enough doses to finish out the programme soon and this frees up Pfizer and Moderna for other age groups.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,134 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Its what we should be doing here but that idiot Martin for some reason thinks it would be too confusing, meanwhile theres multiple studies showing its incredibly effective

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭celt262

VinLieger wrote: »
    Its what we should be doing here but that idiot Martin for some reason thinks it would be too confusing, meanwhile theres multiple studies showing its incredibly effective

Would it not have slowed the whole vaccination program down?

Advertisement